Author Topic: Where I can get Bonta Extra-Heavy Tomato Puree  (Read 2777 times)

Offline CHAD

• I Love Pizza!
Where I can get Bonta Extra-Heavy Tomato Puree
« on: October 27, 2005, 11:20:55 AM »
Hi guys, I'm trying to make a Chicago Style (Lou Malnati's or Geno's East) type sauce. I've looked through various threads and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to use the 6-in-1 tomatoes. But their were posts that said the 6-in-1 made it to soupy so they mixed 1 cup of Bonta Extra Heavy Tomato Puree along with the 6-in-1 and it came out perfect. Now I went to Escalon's site to order some 6-in-1 tomatoes along with their Bonta Puree. But I guess they don't offer it for sale. Just the 6-in-1 tomatoes and the Bella Rossa tomatoes. Is the Bonta Puree available anywhere else? Or has anyone called Escalon and placed an order for something they have in their product line, but do not offer it in their on-line store? Or better yet, does anyone have a better sauce recipe? Thanks again guys......Chad.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Where I can get Bonta Extra-Heavy Tomato Puree
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:26:53 PM »
CHAD,

My recollection is that Steve got a few cans of Bonta from Escalon, although I don't know the circumstances under which he was able to get them. Some foodservice companies that carry the Bonta products will sell to individuals but most don't. One that apparently does is Gordon Food Service (GFS) but they operate in only a few states, mostly in the mid-west (and Canada and Florida, I believe). PennMac has the Bontas on their product list (but not on their website) so you might want to call them, at 1-800-223-5928 (412-471-8330), and ask to speak with Rose, who is a member of the forum and deals frequently with our members. It may be that you will have to buy a case of #10 cans but it can't hurt to inquire as to whether you can get just one or a few cans. Some #10 cans are already sold individually at the PennMac website, at pennmac.com (under the Pizza Makers tab). PennMac also sells a lot of other pizza ingredients, so you may want to keep that in mind also if you need any other pizza items.

BTW, I use the 6-in-1s for deep-dish and found that if I drain the tomatoes for a while they will thicken up and be fine for use with the deep-dish.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 12:44:57 AM »
chad,

I agree with Peter about the straining, but there is another easy way to thicken your sauce that will offer a slightly different result. 

I think you are on the right track with the Bonta idea, but there is really no need to go out of your way to find it.   Just get the Bella Rosa concentrated crushed delivered to you instead.  You will find it in small cans just like the 6in1's on the escalon website.  This stuff is very close to Bonta.  The only think that is different is that it just has slightly fewer tomato solids in the can than the Bonta. It uses the same exact tomatoes, but with a little more water added.  This slightly thinner product will not be a problem, as the Bella Rosa concentrated crushed are still REALLY THICK.  This stuff is pretty much tomato paste just like the Bonta.  A few dollops in your 6in1's (or any other tomatoes that need thickening) and you will be in business.  Of course you could always save some money and just go to your grocery store and buy Hunts tomato paste for a good alternative.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 11:55:30 AM »
Howdy

If you are near the Chicago area you can try Gordon Food Service.  They carry Escalon products.  The one in my town has the 6-1 and Bonta.  I spoke to a GFS rep. at the Chicago restaurant show last May and asked about the product line.  He said they can get most things but can only floorplan what is representative and purchased more frequently by the populace.  There is a comprehensive list in the store from which you can order.  Even Grande cheese.
Hope this helps.