Author Topic: Food Mill  (Read 1525 times)

Offline edl

Food Mill
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »
Hello everyone!  I was wondering if any of you have experience using a food mill for removing the seeds from your pizza sauce.  I work in a pizza kitchen and we are dialing in our sauce and part of that is of course blending it up to a nice even consistency.  In the process however, unless we use a time consuming immersion blender (we go through gallons of sauce a week), the seeds get broken up and this imparts a bitter flavor to the sauce IMO.  I would like to get a food mill to process the seeds out of the tomatos before adding them to the sauce, thus taking care of this problem.  My question is then if anyone can help me decide which size, brand, etc. food mill to buy.  I have never used one before and just found out that they exist, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, I searched "food mill" on the site already and found nothing, so if this was posted before I would very much appreciate if you could help me locate the info.  Thanks!  :)

Offline R2-Bayou

Re: Food Mill
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »
Are you using fresh tomatoes or canned?

I strain a few bushels of tomatoes every September for my years canning. I use an attachment for the kitchenaid stand mixer, I'm sure hobart or other commercial mixers have something similar. Basically strains the skins and seeds and crushes the rest.

http://amzn.com/B00004SGFK

"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline Crider

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »
fantes.com has a pretty good selection of food mills. There's basically two kinds, a foley-style and a meat grinder style. The largest foley style holds 5 quarts -- maybe that's big enough for your needs.

Offline pignolius

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »
http://www.lionsdeal.com/pwc-42575-37.html?src=ri

you can always use a 4 or 5 quart mill and do batches at a time. this may be the case anyway, depending on how much sauce you use. i'd recommend this larger 8-quart mill. we use one similar and usually make a day or two worth of sauce at a time. they're also great for removing seeds from fruit for sorbet or ice cream!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »
So how did it work out for you edl..... ;D
Do you like my new avatar?   :chef:

Bob aka:Frank   ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:23:04 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan