Author Topic: Pizza in the Roundboy  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Bigfoot21075

Pizza in the Roundboy
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »
Hi Everyone,

i have been getting a lot of questions about how the Roundbly oven cooks pizza. I have been hesitant to post my pizza as you all are pizza artists and I can barely draw a stick man with a ruler by comparison. However, I though I would give it a go.- First up, I light the fire. Then I roll the dough (that is a 12" plate). For the Roundboy, you can tell when it is hot enough when the roof turns white and burns off the black stuff. This shot was very painful to get but shows it pretty well.

Once it is hot enough, I toss in another small log if the fire is getting smaller, then rake it all to the side. Then I wait for a little bit for the floor temps to come down. Once they get between 925 and 945, I am ready and just slide the pie in. I rotate it with the banjo peel to keep everything even. In 60 to 80 seconds, I pull the pie out and it is time to eat. Like I said, I have a long way to go but to us the pizza tastes GREAT.

This was a good thin crust recipe from this site. Next time I will do the neopolitan. i have better luck with those for some reason.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:49:32 PM by Bigfoot21075 »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Pizza in the Roundboy
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »
Looks righteous to me.  What is your dough to get that lovely layered texture?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:52:46 PM »
If you other pies looked half that good, you should be posting left and right! That's beautiful.

Did you make a big donut with the extra dough?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:00:02 AM »
Looks righteous to me.  What is your dough to get that lovely layered texture?

THANKS for the encouragement!!

The recipe came from a post by Pete-ZZA in the cracker crust section. I changed it slightly after reading some more things here.

KAAPF – 100% / 16.0 0z
Water (90 Degree) – 37.5% / 6.0 oz
Olive Oil – 3.5% / .6 oz
Sugar – 1.2% / .2 oz
ADY – 1.2% / .2 oz

The key to this seems to be the food processor (using that little curved metal blade). Pour all the dry except the yeast into the food processor and run it for 60 seconds. Add the yeast to the water, let it sit for 5 min. Turn the food processor on, pour in the oil let it run for 20 seconds, then pour in the water/yeast and let it run just 60 seconds. My food processor is old and kind of small, so I have to stop it every 20 or so seconds and knock down the sides so it gets mixed.

Once mixed pour everything onto the counter or sillpat. It will look like the worst dried out mistake ever, and will have an almost corn meal consistency but it will ball up. Ball it up getting all the little pieces into one ball, lightly oil a bowl and cover it with plastic and let it sit a room temp until the next day when you want to use it. When you are ready you can divide it into two 11 oz pies (12” pie with scraps left over) or if you are real good with the roller, 3 – 7oz pies that will be 12” each as well with no scraps.

I have let it sit out for 24 hours, then in the4 fridge for seven days and out on the counter again for three hours to warm back up and have still had good results.

The other trick is when you roll it out “thin” dime maybe quarter thickness on the counter, only dock the center. Leave the outside 1 ½ inches or so alone.

I top it and toss it in the WFO for 60 to 80 seconds depending on how hot I have it. If done right, when you go to cut it it crunches all the way through.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 07:15:50 AM »
BigFoot,

Your cracker style in the Roundboy looks and sounds delicious.  :) I know a friend that would really like the pizza you made.  He really likes a thin and crackery pizza and does have a WFO.

Thanks for sharing!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:18:56 AM »
BigFoot, GREAT pics! That 1st one of the wood and flames is artist quality. Great looking pie.
If I might ask what type of wood are you burning?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
BigFoot, GREAT pics! That 1st one of the wood and flames is artist quality. Great looking pie.
If I might ask what type of wood are you burning?

Mark

Hi Mark! THANKS!

I am only burning oak, it is by far the easiest to get around here.