Author Topic: Bosch Compact mixer owners... questions-which attachments, speed, workflow, etc.  (Read 6522 times)

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
I'm coming from using a food processor for dough making, and just got a new Bosch Compact mixer. I searched and read a bunch of posts where people (Chau et al) talk about the Bosch Universal, and a lot fewer posts from people who own the Compact.

Questions for Compact users:

1. The manual suggests putting all of the ingredients into the mixing bowl, liquid first. Is that what you do, or do you put the dry ingredients in first and then add all the water, or put all the dry ingredients in and add the water slowly (or vice versa... water in first and slowly add the dry ingredients), or all the water and some percentage of the dry ingredients, or hold the oil back for a while or... am I overthinking all this?  :-[

2. Assuming that I do an initial short mix (30-60 seconds just to incorporate the ingredients), followed by a 20 minute rest before kneading, should I use the dough hook for the initial mix or use the mixing whisk attachment. I also assume that this would be at speed 1 (out of 4).

3. What's your rule of thumb for the amount of time for the post-rest kneading with the dough hook? All on speed 1 or do you bring it up to speed 2 during the kneading?

I'll be working with 12.5-13% protein flours, hydration between 61-63% now, likely with 1% oil. I realize that it will vary according with ingredients, hydration, etc. but it would still be good to know what the range is that you've had success with before I start. I've seen 4 minutes all the way up to 12 minutes.

Thanks.

Barry
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:40:57 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
What's the diff. between the compact and the Universal?  I have the Universal plus.  Dough creep was a problem, but I redneck fixed that.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
What's the diff. between the compact and the Universal?  I have the Universal plus.  Dough creep was a problem, but I redneck fixed that.

I'm not sure to be honest, other than the obvious capacity. I bought the compact because I rarely do more than 2 dough balls at a time. I think it has a similar mechanism, but only has 4 speeds.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Can you post a link to the compact or a picture of yours?  Let me go find the dough creep stopper.  I never used the universal plus with anything greater than speed one.  But, I actually didn't know wth I was doing when I used it last.  I will need to break it out soon as the oven arrives.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
This is it. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15815.0.html

Like I mentioned, totally redneck, but it worked/ works.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Can you post a link to the compact or a picture of yours?  Let me go find the dough creep stopper.  I never used the universal plus with anything greater than speed one.  But, I actually didn't know wth I was doing when I used it last.  I will need to break it out soon as the oven arrives.

Here's a link to pictures www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bosch_compact_mixers.aspx

This is it. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15815.0.html

Like I mentioned, totally redneck, but it worked/ works.
Thanks for the link. I love redneck fixes (I'm the guy you see in Home Depot muttering "OK, they don't have one of those, but if I bolt one of these to one of those, and solder that to one of these...) I don't think the dough creep issue happens as much with the Compact. Seems to be a "feature" of the Universal. The dough hook on the Compact is configured differently.

Barry
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:43:11 PM by bfguilford »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Sorry, just saw this thread!   I use the Bosch Compact.  Have no real issues with dough creep at hydration's of 57% to 65% (I'm making Neapolitan dough with 00, no oil).  I add all ingredients to bowl dry first, then water.  I only use the dough hook.  I mix on the lowest speed.  I was doing an initial mix, then letting it sit for 20-40 minutes, then kneading.  But I evolved to no initial mix, just straight into the kneading with hook for the time I want.  Then I pull the dough out, stretch it into one big rough ball, into a covered bowl for an hour, then stretch and fold and into a smooth ball and bulk overnight at room temp.  Love my Compact!  

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Sorry, just saw this thread!   I use the Bosch Compact.  Have no real issues with dough creep at hydration's of 57% to 65% (I'm making Neapolitan dough with 00, no oil).  I add all ingredients to bowl dry first, then water.  I only use the dough hook.  I mix on the lowest speed.  I was doing an initial mix, then letting it sit for 20-40 minutes, then kneading.  But I evolved to no initial mix, just straight into the kneading with hook for the time I want.  Then I pull the dough out, stretch it into one big rough ball, into a covered bowl for an hour, then stretch and fold and into a smooth ball and bulk overnight at room temp.  Love my Compact!  

Thanks, Robyn. I was hoping that you would see this. I know that you're doing Neapolitans in that fabulous WFO of yours (I followed your build and results from afar... beautiful). Would you change the way you use the compact if you went for NY style?

Barry

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Robyn,   have owned the compact.  why would you start dry ingredients first????  always wet first. Not questioning your endproduct btw.  -Marc

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Barry:  I'm sorry, I'm not a NY-style maker so I've never tried.  The few times I made NY dough, it was in a food processor.

Marc:  Honest answer?  I didn't read any directions for the Bosch, just started using it based on my normal way of doing things which had been using a KitchenAid Stand Mixer.  In the KA, if you added flour on top of the liquid, it made a huge mess when I started the machine, so I did it the other way around and didn't know to do otherwise in the Bosch.  Guess I should try the other way now, huh?   ;D

Offline barryvabeach

Just jumping in, because I have a compact and an old Universal, not the plus.  They are pretty different machines.  The compact handles very small amounts of dough with no problem,  I can't do that with my Universal, the dough just gets stuck on the center column under the paddles.  The compact has no problem with high hydration -   I use whole wheat and have mixed at 80 percent hydration.  I have had troubles with the Universal and high hydration, though in fairness, it is usually not a large amount of dough, and that contributes to the problems.  I usually do an autolyse  ( Flour and water only ) using a wooden spoon or plastic spatula - and then 20 to 40 minutes later, I throw it in the compact with the rest of the ingredients and use the dough hook on Speed 2 for about 4 minutes.  The total weight of the flour is usually between 250 to 500 ( not counting water or other ingredients). The Compact is very easy to clean, and there is no dough creep.  The main advantage of the Universal is that it can handle much larger amounts of dough and is rock solid.   The one downside to the Compact is that it is hard to find - not very many dealers have them, and they are out of stock fairly often. 

Offline lennyk

What's the max flour you've used in your compact ?

I just tried 860g flour, 57% dough and it has a problem with the top third of the dough is not mixed well, put some food colouring to check this.

The motor appears up to the task though and didn't get hot.

I was hoping to be able to make 4 balls instead of 3 as with my KA.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:21:52 PM by lennyk »

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
What's the max flour you've used in your compact ?

I just tried 860g flour, 57% dough and it has a problem with the top third of the dough is not mixed well, put some food colouring to check this.

The motor appears up to the task though and didn't get hot.

I was hoping to be able to make 4 balls instead of 3 as with my KA.

The maximum I have used is 670g of flour. I've noticed that it helps to use a spatula to keep the flour from climbing the hook, and get a better mix in general.

Hope that helps.

Barry

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
one thing I have noticed about the bosch mixers is that they develop the dough very fast.    Try mixing for only a few minutes, then work up from there if you need to.    They are the BEST machine for the initial incorporation of ingredients (it only takes a few seconds).     These days I start every batch in the bosch for a few seconds even if I am going to hand knead using stretch and folds, or if I am going to mix with my spiral mixer.   I have found that when I start my doughs with the bosch they just seem to turn out smoother and better, with less kneading needed on the back end.    Good luck!   

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
My standard batch in my Compact is 1000g flour, 57-62% HD.  Never had a problem.  I don't fully knead in the mixer, I use it for initial mix and knead (3-4 minutes max), then remove the dough and finish with time and a few stretch & folds.  

Offline lennyk

are you guys using the first/lowest speed ?

I gather with 1000g the dough was touching/moving around the top of the hook and top of machine was moving around.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Scott: What attachment do you use for your initial mix?

Lenny: I use speed 1.

Barry

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Yes, first/lowest speed, dough hook attachment.  The dough does go up the hook, occasionally touches the inside of the lid, but I have no issues with that, it does not interfere with the mixing. 

Offline lennyk

I did an 800g batch today of HG 57% in the Compact.
powerwise up to the task but still had a little poor mixing on the portion of dough at the top of the hook.

Had to stop and press it down into the bowl a couple times. I did notice that if I pressed it into a particular side of the hook that portion was stay below, finished it off with a little hand kneading to be safe.

This is similar to problems I had with C-hook on KA before I switched to spiral, mind you the Compact's hook is somewhat spiral.
I am not entirely happy as I presently have a KA with spiral which does not require any interaction when kneading.

I bought the Compact just to be able to handle a little more dough and not need to have to have to stop and push dough down the hook.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
I usually have to use a spatula to press the dough down, too.