Author Topic: What depth pans do I need?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline DavidG

What depth pans do I need?
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
Ok so I've been making pizza and cooking them on stones for years with great results but now have decided to invest in a few quality pans. This is just for aesthetics and convenience really not for taste. But what I need to know is what depth pans would be best for:

NY style pizza
Regular crust, thickness factor .11-12 ish
Deep pan

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:56:59 PM by DavidG »

buceriasdon

Re: What depth pans do I need?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:02:32 PM »
NY style does not use a pan.
Don

Offline DavidG

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »
NY style does not use a pan.
Don

Thanks but I do know that, that's how I've been cooking them for years but I want to know what pan I would use if I was using pans, just for convenience ya know. I know it won't be an authentic NY style then but I just want to know what depth pan I would need. If you can't help on that one, could you at least let me know about the other styles???

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
A screen would be fine for NY and for American style also.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
Ok so I've been making pizza and cooking them on stones for years with great results but now have decided to invest in a few quality pans. This is just for aesthetics and convenience really not for taste. But what I need to know is what depth pans would be best for:

NY style pizza
Regular crust, thickness factor .11-12 ish
Deep pan

Thanks

It's not an issue of convenience. The issue is that if you use a pan, it's not NY style. You might make something that sorta physically resembles NY style, but it won't be NY style. Besides, using a pan is not more convenient anyway.

Offline DavidG

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »
It's not an issue of convenience. The issue is that if you use a pan, it's not NY style. You might make something that sorta physically resembles NY style, but it won't be NY style. Besides, using a pan is not more convenient anyway.

Ok well forget about NY style then, what would be a good depth of pan for regular crust pizzas or deep pan. For me pans would be convenient cause if I'm having people round to my house I can just make some up in pans, sauce and cheese them and put them to one side for later, all done except for a few toppings. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to do that just less hassle.

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »
Ah, Ok, now I understand better and screens wouldn't be a good choice because the dough can sink into the mesh. Maybe even a perforated pan might be a problem if left to set for an extended amount of time. Sicilian or Greek would be a good style for what you have in mind.
Don
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:36:17 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline DavidG

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »
Ah, Ok, now I understand better and screens wouldn't be a good choice because the dough can sink into the mesh. Maybe even a perforated pan might be a problem if left to set for an extended amount of time. Sicilian or Greek would be a good style for what you have in mind.
Don

Ok thanks, aren't Sicilian pizzas really thick? That would probably do fine for my deep pizzas, infact I have always wanted to try the Sicilian style. But for a regular crust, what pan depth is common I might still give it a try and see if it can be left in a pan for a few hours and still cook ok.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »
DavidG,

It is difficult to comment on pizza pan depth because the pan has to fit the dough recipe and the amount of dough you plan to use. I suggest that you take a look at the various pans, disks, cutter pans, deep-dish and Sicilian pans, etc., at the pizzatools.com website at http://www.pizzatools.com/. There are many potential suppliers of these kinds of items but Pizza Tools is one of the best.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »
David, it's David right? You could place your spread out dough in a pan and keep it in the fridge for a few hours covered with kitchen wrap, pull it out, allow it to temper at room temp, top and bake.
Oops :-[ Forgot to mention in case you didn't know,Silician pizza is traditionaly baked in square pans, not round, but round is ok.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:15:14 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:19:26 PM »
This is a very difficult question to answer because there are so many different styles of pizza and there are just as many different pan styles. I've found perforated aluminum pans and cutter pans to be pretty versatile. Perforated disks might also meet your needs.

Offline DavidG

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 05:46:45 AM »
David, it's David right? You could place your spread out dough in a pan and keep it in the fridge for a few hours covered with kitchen wrap, pull it out, allow it to temper at room temp, top and bake.
Oops :-[ Forgot to mention in case you didn't know,Silician pizza is traditionaly baked in square pans, not round, but round is ok.

Yeh it's David, ok that sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try. Now I have decided on a 1.5" pan for deep pan and i'm gonna try Sicilian style in it too when it come.

I can't decide between a 0.7" and a 1" deep American Metalcraft anodized aluminium pan for American style medium crust. The 0.7" has twice as many perforations (226) and the 1" has 113.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 04:08:56 PM »
If you wanted to try out a size of pan for cheap before you actually spend the money on a quality one you could always go to Walmart and pick up one of the Wilton ones in the cake decorating section. I bought a 14" pan that was about 2" deep to bake a Pizza Hut clone pie and it turned out great even though the pan is really light colored aluminum. I have found if I put the pan on my stone I can still get good browning from a light colored aluminum pan.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 04:36:23 PM »
If you wanted to try out a size of pan for cheap before you actually spend the money on a quality one you could always go to Walmart and pick up one of the Wilton ones in the cake decorating section.

Or even better, if you live in a town that's big enough to have used restaurant equipment dealers, you may be able to find various different kinds of pans that have actually been used in pizzerias, which is probably better than finding new ones; especially new ones designed for consumers. Better yet, used pans cost a fraction of the price of new pans.

I once bought a stack of 17 dough boxes and a dough dolly this way for a total of $65. Across the street at a supplier of new restaurant equipment, the same dough boxes are like $20 apiece, and I think the same dolly costs considerably more than that.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 05:15:02 PM »
Wow Ryan I have never thought of that, I have a restaurant supply store close to me but have never thought to ask them about used equipment or where I might could find a place that sells used items. I bet you can find some deals on baking items. I always keep my eyes peeled at thrift stores and estate sales, but those are usually a crap shoot for cooking items since they are usually outdated or worn out.

Already seasoned and used pans would be awesome, especially if they were taken care of. They would probably cost less than even the cheap Wilton ones at Walmart and bake a hell of a lot better.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
Go there and check it out, man. Unfortunately my memory tells me good pans are usually one of the harder-to-find items at used equipment dealers. Still, it's worth going there every once in a while because they're always turning over their inventory of used stuff and getting new used items. You might just show up at the right time to find exactly what you want real cheap.

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »
I use screens 90% of the time and I don't have a sticking problem. Last week, I made four 16x11 pizzas on screens and they sat on the counter for three hours before I put them in the oven. No sticking whatsoever.
For Sicillian or other thick pizzas I use a 16x16 trays about 3/4" high, the round pan 12' x 2 1/2" high for Chicago deep dish. I've also put them in cookie trays we have that go back to the 1930's.
Whatever you like will allow you to make several pizzas at once (as I do in my commercial oven) or one at a time in a conventional oven. It sounds as if you have concerns that you shouldn't have.

pat

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »
I use screens 90% of the time and I don't have a sticking problem. Last week, I made four 16x11 pizzas on screens and they sat on the counter for three hours before I put them in the oven. No sticking whatsoever.

Seriously? Wow. I assume you're using some pretty stiff dough, then. Are you?

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
Seriously? Wow. I assume you're using some pretty stiff dough, then. Are you?

That's what I was thinking. If I leave dough on a screen longer than a few minutes I get serious sticking and my dough isn't extremely wet when I use a screen usually.

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 07:06:26 AM »
Actually my dough is 64% hydration along with some oil or lard. The dough, if I let rest more than a couple of hours, will start to spread slightly beyond the rim of the screens.
The screens are oiled, by painting with a brush, a mixture of 1/3 lecithin and 2/3 canola oil. This is what Pam is made of. The dough is rolled out with a pastry roller and as long as the final stretching is done by lifting the dough off the screen and stretching above the screen, there will be no sticking. It works for me.

pat

pizzapan