Author Topic: possible to use a very wet "goopy" dough on a screen?  (Read 668 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
possible to use a very wet "goopy" dough on a screen?
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:19 PM »
I'm not a newbie to pizzamaking by any stretch, but I am a newbie to using a screen.  I bought a screen on my travels to NYC, and figured I'd give it a shot with my gluten-free pizza dough.  The GF dough is very wet, and although it is solid, it is not your typical "dry lump of dough" like a normal dough would be.  It's almost "goopy" (not quite, but almost).

I just tried it the first time and it was a disaster.  I did spray a high amount of PAM on the screen to start with.  Then I smoothed out the dough onto the screen with my hands.  GF dough requires a high degree of hand-smoothing; it doesn't handle like regular dough.  It's a wet, messy process.  Obviously, as I was going through it, I could tell that the dough was seeping through the holes in the screen.  All I could do was hope it wouldn't stick after baking.

Of course it did stick, and badly.  Like glue.  A complete write-off after baking at 500 degrees.  I couldn't even get a spatula under it to try to lift it off.

Now, I freely admit I know very little about baking on a screen.  Anyone have any brilliant suggestions?  I have to say, I'm having a hard time picturing what I could do to prevent this with this type of dough.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: possible to use a very wet "goopy" dough on a screen?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »
The Pam prolly only made matters worse an you should press it out on a plate first and then try to flip it over onto your screen...dunno.  Maybe you could try parchment paper on top of the screen an tug it out from the pizza after a few minutes....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »
I like the parchment paper suggestion.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »
I like the parchment paper suggestion.

+2
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline atom

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 08:23:59 AM »
I made a 100% rye dough the other day- spread the dough out on an equal sized pan, slathered olive oil over both sides of the skin, placed the screen on top then flipped it over removing the pan. Quickly topped with cheese using the oil already on the dough as the sauce and threw it on the bottom rack of the preheated oven. This cooked the crust fast enough before it oozed through the screen. The pizza was still disgusting, I have given up on using rye in my doughs.

I also like the parchment paper idea, assuming it doesn't stick to the paper.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 09:26:30 AM »
Is this is still the GF dough?  If not, why the extreme hydration?  

In any case, rye wouldn't be my first choice for pizza - just an odd flavor combination IMO.

Why not try a 60% hydration rye calzone, stuffed with pastrami or chopped rare roast beef, swiss cheese, diced onions, horseradish and dijon mustard?  Cook it like you would cook a rye bread - lower temp and longer time, maybe even using a bread pan.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.