Author Topic: Minimum equipment needed  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: Minimum equipment needed
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 05:08:13 AM »
John,
The difference between the 2 prep tables is that the more expensive unit is imported from Italy & has the condiment compartment on top as oppose to counter height.  The advantage is that you don't end up with flour all over the condiments.  We have the regular unit fitted with a marble top (True Refrigeration).  It has broken down twice in a year & I suspect that it is due to flour getting in the motor.  If you're bringing an oven over from Naples have them throw one in the container along with a mixer, it will cost you half of what it would cost you here.

With respect to the mixer, if you are looking at a fork; we have a Pietroberto La Vittoria 35.  If you add the flour in batches, as I do, you can mix a full bag of flour without any issues.  I would personally go with the 60 next time.

Below is a photo of our set up.  

One thing you missed on your list is a deli slicer.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.  I am more than happy to help you out.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 05:39:51 AM by Matthew »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »
Thanks for the tips Scott and Bob. I thought that the walk in would be the most expensive outside the oven and mixer, but it looks like a hood could cost $2k per linear foot!

David - Thanks for the visualization. It seems a small space can really be very utilitarian and get the job done.

Matt - Wow, thank you for the insight. You may be getting a PM from me soon.

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
David - Thanks for the visualization. It seems a small space can really be very utilitarian and get the job done.

Yea, it definitely is. There would be 4 people working on normal days and on ends it would be 5(3/4 inside, 1 driver). It was tight but once you get used to it; it all flows and its like doing a dance. It's nice to have the extra space but it isn't needed if you don't have the capital to get it in the beginning.

Pupatella is a perfect example of that.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 03:02:35 PM »
Kitchen space should come before dining space, though, because efficiency is everything in this business. If you design the kitchen wrong, it will cost you money every minute of every day, usually because you always need more workers than you should need. It will cost you good workers, too, because good workers know when their boss's inefficient operating procedures force them to do twice as much as should be required to get the job done, which forces them to look for work somewhere else. And that costs you money, as well, because the only people who will work at a job like that is people who don't know they're doing twice as much work as should be required. That is, you're stuck with workers who don't really know what they're doing.

I've seen this over and over. I've seen it as a worker, I've seen it as a customer, and I've seen it while trying to help struggling pizzeria owners get their s*^t together. Those people never listen, and they all go out of business. And of the few who manage to stay in business, their lives are miserable because inefficiency sucks, even if it pays the bills.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
John,
The difference between the 2 prep tables is that the more expensive unit is imported from Italy & has the condiment compartment on top as oppose to counter height.  The advantage is that you don't end up with flour all over the condiments.  We have the regular unit fitted with a marble top (True Refrigeration).  It has broken down twice in a year & I suspect that it is due to flour getting in the motor.  If you're bringing an oven over from Naples have them throw one in the container along with a mixer, it will cost you half of what it would cost you here.

Matt,

If you get the Italian unit, is there any problem finding people locally to work on it - particularly when it is under warranty?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 06:31:19 AM »
Matt,

If you get the Italian unit, is there any problem finding people locally to work on it - particularly when it is under warranty?

CL

No, any refrigeration person can work on it.  The parts are universal.

Matt

pizzapan