Author Topic: New pizza maker: 4 pics enclosed. Let the critiquing begin...  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Chaze215

New pizza maker: 4 pics enclosed. Let the critiquing begin...
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »
I am looking forward to getting some feedback on what I can do better the next time. I did like the flavor, but I feel it is not what im looking for. I know the flour Im using, or I should say finishing up, isnt the best. I think it is good for bread or strombolis, but not cutting it for pizza. Here is the recipe I used (sorry for not converting to %s):
4 cups Conagra Mills bread flour
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons EVOO
2 teaspoons Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon ADY
I did an overnight ferment in the fridge. Then balled up the dough and placed them in covered containers at room temp for about 2 hours. The sixe of the dough ball used for the pizza was about 14-15oz. The oven was preheated at 550 for about 30 mins and then dropped down to 425 to be baked on a stone. Total bake time was 15 minutes. Below are 4 pics of the final product. Let me know what you guys thing and what I can do better the next time. Thanks in advance!

Chaz
Chaz

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: New pizza maker: 4 pics enclosed. Let the critiquing begin...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
Good looking pie, but out of curiosity, why did you turn down the heat?

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
Good looking pie, but out of curiosity, why did you turn down the heat?
The last time I did a pie at 550, the top started to get burnt but the bottom didnt get get done enough.
Chaz

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »
That is what I thought.  What kind of oven, gas or electric, and if electric is the element on top or bottom or both?

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »
Its electric with elements on top and bottom. I had the stone on the lowest rack.
Chaz

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 07:37:40 PM »
What I am going to say is heretical and I will be burned at the pizza stake, but try it.

Ditch the stone.  Turn the oven on max when you get ready to start making the pizza.  Make the pizza on a pan and cook it on the pan for about 2 minutes with the rack at it's lowest setting.  If the element turns off (is not red), crack the door until it turns back on.  After 2 minutes remove the pizza from the oven.  Shake the pan to make sure it is released (and if not use something to make it release) and then use the pan as a peel to place the pizza directly on the rack.  With the element red hot cook it for another minute, then turn the oven to broil (you may have to crack the door to get the broiler element to fire off) and cook it for 30 seconds to a minute with the element red hot.  Done top and bottom in 4-5 minutes.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 10:38:03 PM »
Chaze, have you considered using some mozz that is not pre-shredded?  Either shred it yourself, or some quarter size chunks?  The cheese this way will take a bit more time to brown, and could extend your baking time a bit more to get things balanced out a bit more, maybe.... :pizza:

The crumb looks good and looks to be done and not doughy.  Anything to keep the pizza cooking a few more seconds to brown the bottom and top more (if that's what you want) would help.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:40:40 PM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 06:42:43 AM »
Chaze, have you considered using some mozz that is not pre-shredded?  Either shred it yourself, or some quarter size chunks?  The cheese this way will take a bit more time to brown, and could extend your baking time a bit more to get things balanced out a bit more, maybe.... :pizza:

The crumb looks good and looks to be done and not doughy.  Anything to keep the pizza cooking a few more seconds to brown the bottom and top more (if that's what you want) would help.

Good point Jet...I didnt think of that. I only had some shredded mozz on hand, but I will use some block mozz next time, Thanks!
Chaz

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:44:56 AM »
What I am going to say is heretical and I will be burned at the pizza stake, but try it.

Ditch the stone.  Turn the oven on max when you get ready to start making the pizza.  Make the pizza on a pan and cook it on the pan for about 2 minutes with the rack at it's lowest setting.  If the element turns off (is not red), crack the door until it turns back on.  After 2 minutes remove the pizza from the oven.  Shake the pan to make sure it is released (and if not use something to make it release) and then use the pan as a peel to place the pizza directly on the rack.  With the element red hot cook it for another minute, then turn the oven to broil (you may have to crack the door to get the broiler element to fire off) and cook it for 30 seconds to a minute with the element red hot.  Done top and bottom in 4-5 minutes.

Tscarborough

I have numerous stones but have been using the technique you describe for many years - just seems to work better in a home electric oven (convection mode) and you don't have to deal with the stone heat up time

Y-town

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
Chaz, you mentioned that you liked the flavor, but that it was not what you were looking for. What specifically are you looking for?

I agree with Scott's comments about the crumb.

Good looking pizza for sure.

The one thing I noticed was the thickness factor is a little high. Really good NY-Style pizza is often a good bit thinner. And a thinner crust could aid with your bake (getting top and bottom done closer to the same time). It may take some time to get comfortable shaping/stretching the dough thinner, but with practice you'll have it down relatively soon.

Otherwise it certainly looks like you are well on the road of good pizza making. Thanks for sharing!  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 05:45:12 PM »
Chaz, you mentioned that you liked the flavor, but that it was not what you were looking for. What specifically are you looking for?

I agree with Scott's comments about the crumb.

Good looking pizza for sure.

The one thing I noticed was the thickness factor is a little high. Really good NY-Style pizza is often a good bit thinner. And a thinner crust could aid with your bake (getting top and bottom done closer to the same time). It may take some time to get comfortable shaping/stretching the dough thinner, but with practice you'll have it down relatively soon.

Otherwise it certainly looks like you are well on the road of good pizza making. Thanks for sharing!  :)

I guess Im looking for a little more browning on the crust (you can see its kinda white-ish even though it wasnt undercooked) and as you noticed, I would like it to be a little thinner. Would a little sugar in the dough offer more browning?
Chaz