Author Topic: Dough mixing question....why is it rough on the outside after mixing?  (Read 945 times)

Offline cwood

I'm using an unbleached AP flour and roughly the Varasano methods in a stand mixer.  This round was about 62% including a sourdough starter and a very small amount of IDY and 4% salt.

Using a 20 minute autolyse with 75% of the flour, then a mix gradually adding the rest over 7 minutes.

The dough ball is very rough textured on the outside.  Kneading or bending shows the structure of the dough tearing rather than stretching.  I have seen this before and a warm rise for a bit will smooth it out but why don't I have a nice smooth dough ball at this point?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough mixing question....why is it rough on the outside after mixing?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »
4% salt?
Please tell us the order of adding all of the ingredients.
Nobody I know has a picture perfect dough coming out of the mixer.  I mean it is called a mixer, not a dough maker.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline cwood

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »
closer to 3.5%....is that high? 

I usually dump the salt into the flour, then I mix 75% of flour and salt, starter, idy and all water for 3 mins.  Then let it sit for 20 mins.  Then while mixing with hook for another 8 or so mins I slowly add the rest of the flour/salt until it balls up on the hook.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »
Does it taste high to you?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »
when is the water added?  start at the beginning, all the way to the end.

Offline cwood

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »
To be more specific in g.

Flour   552   
Water   340   62%
Salt   20   4%
Starter   44   8%
IDY   1/4 tsp   

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »
I'm using an unbleached AP flour and roughly the Varasano methods in a stand mixer.  This round was about 62% including a sourdough starter and a very small amount of IDY and 4% salt.

Using a 20 minute autolyse with 75% of the flour, then a mix gradually adding the rest over 7 minutes.

The dough ball is very rough textured on the outside.  Kneading or bending shows the structure of the dough tearing rather than stretching.  I have seen this before and a warm rise for a bit will smooth it out but why don't I have a nice smooth dough ball at this point?

My only guess so far is that you're using a small model of KitchenAid; the kind with a J-hook (rather than a spiral hook) and a top section that pivots in the back/top to lift the hook out of the bowl. My experience is that this kind of mixer takes a lot longer than KitchenAids that utilize a spiral hook and a bowl-lifting crank.

If that's the case, I'd say mix longer; start by mixing for an extra five minutes.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
To answer your original question, it is a mixer, not a dough maker.  What style of crust are you after?  Do you have any pics of the finished product?  How is it baked, home oven, bbq grill, .... ?  Cooked on a stone, cookie sheet, pan, directly on the grates?  Cooked at what temp?  How long is the cooking device pre-heated?  Cold proof, room temp proof, for how long?  The questions are endless.

Offline cwood

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
My only guess so far is that you're using a small model of KitchenAid; the kind with a J-hook (rather than a spiral hook) and a top section that pivots in the back/top to lift the hook out of the bowl. My experience is that this kind of mixer takes a lot longer than KitchenAids that utilize a spiral hook and a bowl-lifting crank.

If that's the case, I'd say mix longer; start by mixing for an extra five minutes.

No, using a big Cuisinart with big hook.  I think it may be an issue with mixing time as you say.

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
How are you creating a dough ball? That stretching to make a ball should smooth the surface out.
Don

Offline lennyk

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
I get the same rough dough on my small KA mixer both with C and spiral hook.
If I try to window pane its rough textured but so far I can make decent pies if I might say so