Author Topic: 4 Cheese Pizza Proportions  (Read 1956 times)

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
4 Cheese Pizza Proportions
« on: October 27, 2005, 04:45:37 PM »
I'm curious, who out there is making a 4 cheese pizza at home?  What cheeses are you using and what proportions?  I've typically seen Mozzarella, Provalone, American/Cheddar, and Parmesan - I assume in that order.  Feta seems to be treated more like a topping than a cheese, as is American/Cheddar, with Parmesan as a seasoning.  What percentage provalone do you use compared to the mozzarella?  Thanks.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
Re: 4 Cheese Pizza Proportions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 06:57:02 AM »
Well, there's taste and cost. If you are on a budget, or don't want to spend a lot for one pizza, go with store blends. Like a lot of culinary delights, I am willing to pay more for taste. I like mozzarella(whole milk), smoked provolone, Fontina cheese,and Pecorino Romano.[ratio: M-50%,SP-15%,F-20%,PR-15%]. Of course, any blend will usually be good.

Various cheeses I have used include:mozzarella,provolone,romano,parmesan,asiago,fontina,edam(Holland,with red wax casing),Danish Havarti(small amounts because it is very buttery), cheddar, monterey jack, even small amounts of Swiss. I find that ANY cheese blends(up to 7-8) work amazingly in a "Chicago Stuffed".
Have fun expirementing!

Offline le pizze

Re: 4 Cheese Pizza Proportions
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 07:55:11 PM »
Gruyere makes a great addition to any cheese combination!  It melts really well (is used in fondue, for example) and adds a little tang to the blend.