Author Topic: Tomato Juice Base  (Read 1128 times)

Offline kennys

Tomato Juice Base
« on: August 19, 2012, 12:56:08 PM »
A pizzeria that closed here around 12 years ago used a very thin pizza sauce on their thin cracker crust. It tasted like a tomato juice base with a little black pepper and oregano. Tomato juice is used as a base for a lot recipes in southern Indiana, including chili and BBQ sauce. The sauce looked very watery, but actually cooked very well when lightly brushed on the thin crust. Does anybody have any information on this or a similar recipe?

buceriasdon

Re: Tomato Juice Base
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
 I would think from a labor and economic stand point it would be better to thin down a tomato sauce than to thicken a tomato juice using heat reduction. I have made a thin sauce using V8 juice and a bit of puree but it was more costly than thinned sauce to produce.
Don

Offline kramer73

Re: Tomato Juice Base
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
I would think from a labor and economic stand point it would be better to thin down a tomato sauce than to thicken a tomato juice using heat reduction. I have made a thin sauce using V8 juice and a bit of puree but it was more costly than thinned sauce to produce.
Don

I've heard of people using tomato juice, adding some paste, and calling it pasta sauce. 

pizzapan