Author Topic: Disappointing pies tonight  (Read 8765 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Disappointing pies tonight
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »
If you want it to not happen again, use a hot sharp pin to put a tiny hole in the lid. That will allow gas to escape.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2012, 07:12:32 PM »
If you want it to not happen again, use a hot sharp pin to put a tiny hole in the lid. That will allow gas to escape.

Good advice. Thanks.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »
I did two pies tonight:

Pie #1 was kielbasa, saurkraut and mozarella. Recipe found here:

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-sausage-sauerkraut-pizza-recipes-from-the-kitchn-178572

I liked it. It was a unique pie and a good flavor combo. I continued to struggle with stretching the re-balled dough - even though I cut the protein % down some. While I love the structure I get from the re-balled dough, I am not sure it is worth the hassles of trying to stretch it. I ended up with a thin spot that tore on the stone and then I couldn't get it turned and ended up with a burned bottom, etc. I think I am going to go back to balling after mixing. I am still struggling with the stone temps on the grill too. I think I really need that thicker stone.

Pie #2 was 2/3 cheese and 1/3 tomato-only - because Bob made me feel guilty last week.  ;D

It seems like the second pie on the grill always comes out better than the first. The temps seem to stabilize a bit more.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »
Very tasty look'in pizza there Steve. Glad you treated our 'lil pizza buddy proper... ;D
How long are you giving your dough balls out on the counter at room temp?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2012, 09:49:31 PM »
Bob:

2-3 hours.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:51:33 PM by slybarman »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »
I did two pies tonight:

Pie #1 was kielbasa, saurkraut and mozarella. Recipe found here:

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-sausage-sauerkraut-pizza-recipes-from-the-kitchn-178572

I liked it. It was a unique pie and a good flavor combo. I continued to struggle with stretching the re-balled dough - even though I cut the protein % down some. While I love the structure I get from the re-balled dough, I am not sure it is worth the hassles of trying to stretch it. I ended up with a thin spot that tore on the stone and then I couldn't get it turned and ended up with a burned bottom, etc. I think I am going to go back to balling after mixing. I am still struggling with the stone temps on the grill too. I think I really need that thicker stone.

Pie #2 was 2/3 cheese and 1/3 tomato-only - because Bob made me feel guilty last week.  ;D

It seems like the second pie on the grill always comes out better than the first. The temps seem to stabilize a bit more.
Not exactly sure what you are doing here Steve but I know I've recently seen some folks gettting nice results with a 3-4 hr. room temp bulk  then balled to frig for 24-48hr. Hope this helps..... :-\

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »
Bob:

If I understood Fazarri's thread correctly (50/50 chance) he experimented and detrmined that bulk fermenting and multiple re-balls were less important to oven spring and structure than was the time the dough was balled relative to baking. He mixed, divided the dough and put it into containers, but did not first ball the dough until 8-9 hrs before baking. That is what I had tried to do.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
Bob:

If I understood Fazarri's thread correctly (50/50 chance) he experimented and detrmined that bulk fermenting and multiple re-balls were less important to oven spring and structure than was the time the dough was balled relative to baking. He mixed, divided the dough and put it into containers, but did not first ball the dough until 8-9 hrs before baking. That is what I had tried to do.
Steve, John does a lot of experimenting and is very gracious with his contributions here...if you followed his lead but experienced different results then all I can suggest is to go back and make sure you followed correctly. One thing that comes to mind and may or may not help here is that I do know he usually is working with a different style of pizza than what it looks like you are doing. Also, you didn't really give me the parameters as to what he did with the divided dough after mixing. Never the less, give the 3 hr. bulk then balled for 24 if you will...this seems very straight forward and gives good results. What type of yeast are you working with btw.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2012, 01:25:53 AM »
My .02:

this is all rule of thumb.  Different RT and atmospheric conditions will give you differing results.  Don't be tied into a particular time.  Look at the dough.  Leave it on the counter to BF until doubled, then ball it tight and toss it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.  If it's overflowing the container even in the fridge, reball it.  Wrestle that monkey down, and make a note to use less yeast / starter next time.

When it's -2:00 from GO TIME, bring it out.  If your environment is 85 degrees or up, you may have to shorten that.  If not, and this time of year, it shouldn't be unless you live in a sauna, you will be looking at 70 or so RT.  If the kitchen is hot from preheating the oven, put it in some other room.  Be gentle on stretching - let it rest a little during the process if it needs it.  Too much effort is... too much.

All my opinion, based on my experience. :chef:
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »
My .02:

this is all rule of thumb.  Different RT and atmospheric conditions will give you differing results.  Don't be tied into a particular time.  Look at the dough.  Leave it on the counter to BF until doubled, then ball it tight and toss it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.  If it's overflowing the container even in the fridge, reball it.  Wrestle that monkey down, and make a note to use less yeast / starter next time.

When it's -2:00 from GO TIME, bring it out.  If your environment is 85 degrees or up, you may have to shorten that.  If not, and this time of year, it shouldn't be unless you live in a sauna, you will be looking at 70 or so RT.  If the kitchen is hot from preheating the oven, put it in some other room.  Be gentle on stretching - let it rest a little during the process if it needs it.  Too much effort is... too much.

All my opinion, based on my experience. :chef:
+1

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »
that second pie nailed it! good stuff.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
Second pie looked really good.
Bert,

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2012, 08:13:17 PM »
Thanks guys. Temps are more stable on the second pie every time.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
Had some improvement in my crusts the last couple of weeks which I attribute to two things:

1) The new stone. 3/4" cordierite kiln shelf. Definitely seems to be holding and giving back more heat and had given a better crust.

2) I switched from dusting with 50/50 flour & semolina, to dusting with straight semolina. To me, it seems the lack of residual flour had helped the crust brown better, gives a better flavor, and gives a bit more crunch to the crust.

Sorry - no photos tonight.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »
Sunday night pies. Traditional Easter dinner?

One side was pepperoni, bacon and ricotta. It was sublime. Best pie I have made at home yet. The kiln shelf has really helped the crust color.

I am using a 12.5 oz dough ball for 14 inch pies so the tf is getting down there.

Little boy doesn't eat his crusts, but that gives me a photo op. :)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:19:58 PM by slybarman »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
Very nice pics sly...your pizza's are really looking great.   :chef:
Tell little boy you're going to start giving the bones to Chicago Bob if he don't start eating them!  ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »
I hear Santa skips the homes of little boys who don't eat their pizza bones...  :'(
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2013, 09:08:07 PM »
Thanks Bob. Little boy is one fussy eater. I cant tell you how many times a week he eats chicken nuggets.  I'll pop those crusts in the mail to ya ASAP.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2013, 09:12:04 PM »
I hear Santa skips the homes of little boys who don't eat their pizza bones...  :'(

We know the easter bunny doesn't care. He stopped by last night. My wife left a plate of half chewed carrots on the table for the kids to see. I threw some raisins on the floor just under the plate. My wife didnt seem to find that as funny as I did.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »
We know the easter bunny doesn't care. He stopped by last night. My wife left a plate of half chewed carrots on the table for the kids to see. I threw some raisins on the floor just under the plate. My wife didnt seem to find that as funny as I did.
I think that is extremely funny!  ;D
Does she leave her pizza bones too?.... :angel:

Ship 'em!!  :-D