Author Topic: preshaping dough  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Dave_in_WI

• I Love Pizza!
preshaping dough
« on: October 18, 2005, 10:09:50 PM »
Okay... noob here.  I've been searching the internet and I haven't been able to find a definative answer to my question.

We're planning a "make-your-own-pizza" party this weekend.  We would like to make our own dough.. but, we'd also like to "preshape" them maybe a day or two in advance.   But, everything I read about pre-making dough talks about freezing it in "ball" form.   But, I want to go a step beyond that.

How can I achieve this? 

Ultimate goal is to be able to whip out a crust, put on some toppings, and bake.

Thanks in advance.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: preshaping dough
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 11:16:02 PM »
Hi Dave and welcome !  ;D

Go ahead and preshape 'em !  :)

getting your dough into the shape you are going to bake it in is prob the longest process after making the actual dough.

I preshape my dough do this all the time.  So did my mother years ago, and still does.

Make your dough,
get it stretched out on your pan
get it into the freezer.

Now the day of the party, get it out and onto the counter a good 2 hours before.
This will let it thaw out and start to rise....
you can even start topping it while it is frozen if you are in a hurry.

Pop it into the oven when you are ready.

There's absolutely NO rules about not doing this, if there were, then you would never see these frozen
pizzas in stores. 

Yup you are on the right track, get the dough done and then all you have to do is top the pies.  That's easy and you
can do it while sipping your favourite beer.

P.S. - I have many times made my fresh dough, rolled out the dough to fit my pans.... I'll make 2 pizzas,
one I bake that night, the other ? ... I preshape it, and even dress it !  and into the freezer it goes and I use it a few days later
or the following weekend.  ( that means shaping the dough on the pizza pan, adding the sauce, cheese and my toppings )

all stuff I use on a pizza freezes fine, and thaws fine. ( pepporoni, cheese, mushrooms and green pepper )

Good luck and let us know how it turned out eh !

Mark

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 11:36:16 PM »
Dave,

You didn't indicate how many pizzas you need to make and how you plan to bake them, that is, on a pizza stone, in pans, etc. You can also now buy pre-made dough balls from some supermarkets and higher-end places like Trader Joe's. Some pizza places will also sell you dough balls. You will have to shape the dough balls into dough rounds yourself but you will still save a fair amount of work. My preference is to make a bunch of dough balls starting about a day ahead of the party, refrigerate them, and let them come to room temperature a couple of hours before they are to be used. Depending on the type of dough, you will usually have a window of a few hours (depending on the temperature of your kitchen) after the dough rounds are made to make pizzas out of them. 

You may want to take a look at this thread for some ideas as to how to handle pizza party situations: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,736.msg6643.html#msg6643.

Peter

Offline Dave_in_WI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 10:02:40 AM »
Good luck and let us know how it turned out eh !

The party went off without a hitch.  Thanks for all your input.

We had made our dough from THIS RECIPE.  I know, it's a bread machine recipe.... probably sacrilege. :)  But, it truely was easy to just dump in the ingredients and let the machine do the work.   Shaping.. that was another story, but we got the hang of it. ;)  A roller is the way to go for the novice.

We made about 9 personal sized crusts.  We par-baked some of them for a few minutes in our conventional oven.... and these were much more managable for loading into the oven come party time.

Here's a pic of the end result taken from my crappy camera phone:
(http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/263/10230513170cr.jpg)

I didn't think that 1 personal pizza would be enough for one person.. but, man! Those things were filling.

A good time was had by all.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 10:07:31 AM by Dave_in_WI »