Author Topic: Last nights dough-What went wrong?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Last nights dough-What went wrong?
« on: November 06, 2005, 11:14:49 AM »
Last night we made 3 pies and the cooked dough came out much denser than it normally does, it did not have those nice air pockets in the rim. I then remembered that when it was being kneaded I used the dough hook the entire time instead of switching to the paddle. Would that be the cause ?  THANKS---Mel

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Last nights dough-What went wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 01:33:02 PM »
Mel,

Usually the type of crumb you are talking about is as the result of overkneading or too low a hydration (not enough water for the amount of flour used). In either case, the finished crust can be dense and tough and overly chewy, with a breadlike character and few large irregularly-shaped holes that create an open an airy crumb. If the oven wasn't hot enough, that might also be a cause, although I know in your case you have a high-temperature wood-fired oven. I suppose it is possible that the way you used the dough hook may have led to overkneading, but unless your knead time was very long I would lean more toward underhydration as the cause.

Peter

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 05:33:39 PM »
Peter --My hydration was 63 percent. The dough was kneaded for a total of 7 minutes. It's the same recipe I've been using for the last several months, and the dough hook was the only difference.  I'll try raising the hydration slightly next time and remember to use the paddle. Everyone thought the pizza was great-my wife and I were the only ones to notice the difference in the crumb.  I just received our starter from sourdo.com but will not be making pizza for the next several weeks, we are going down to Costa Rica for vacation. I will let you know when we get back how the Lehmann recipe with an Italian starter does in a wood fired oven.  Thanks for all your help.---Mel

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 10:45:55 PM »
Mel,

I recalled that you were using 63 percent hydration but wondered whether there may have been an error in weighing out the flour or water. I did this once when the tare feature on my digital scale timed out and I ended up with too much flour and not enough water. I was able to fix what I had done but it changed my dough weight.

In any event, when you get to try the dough again you will see if the problem reoccurs.

Peter