Author Topic: building my own oven  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: building my own oven
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »

one last question, when i log in here i know where to go to see if there are new replies but if there arent i cant seem to find things that ive done easily.  do i just have to remember which forum and topic im having conversations in or is there an easy button to show me where ive posted?  thanks everyone. 

jimA,

If you go to your profile, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=20738, and look to your left, you will see a link to Show Posts. Click on that and you should be able to find all of your posts.

Also, if you go to the main page of the forum and go down to the section called Forum Stats, you will see a link View the most recent posts on the forum. Click on that link and you will see 10 pages of the most recent posts, by all members.

Peter

Offline jimA

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 09:41:24 PM »
thanks

Offline mikeb9550

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 07:26:43 PM »
I also have a WSM and you are going to have trouble getting it hot enough. Might have to hook up a blower to force air in bottom. What are you thinking about doing, buying another mid section and cutting it down and creating a larger opening in the side to get the pizzas in and out?

I just bought an Green Egg and really like it so far. Man does it hold the temp as well as can reach very very hot temps. I dont have room for a pizza oven so it will have to do. Did some pizzas on it last night and they turned out great.

Offline jimA

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
The results are in.  after hours of measuring and thinking and talking to all of you I finally decided on a design and gave it a shot today.  Man oh man was I surprised at how good it all turned out. 

- 18.5" diameter weber smoky mountain with water pan removed and burning logs.
- 13" pizza stone on top grate.
- 17" diameter dome lid to capture and circulate heat on top of stone.

i put an oven thermometer in the center of the stone with the dome on and ~10 minutes later it was maxed out.  the thermometer goes to 600 and it was beyond that.  i dont have an IR thermometer so i have no clue what the stone temp was. 

pizza was in there ~4-5 minutes which is longer than ive read is the norm but i couldn't imagine a better cooking result.  the bottom was firm.  the edges puffed up and chewy but all the dough was fully cooked.  this HAS to be beginners luck. 

the only issue i had was sliding the raw pizza off the peel.  there was almost a disaster there. 

thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. 

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »
Hope you have some hi-re pics buddy!  Results look good, but it's pretty hard to make out at that size.  Try resizing them to 800x600.

Re your difficulty getting it off the peel, try a 50/50 mix of semolina and rice flour.  If you have a coffee grinder, this is easy to make up from raw rice and spaghetti noodles.  Doesn't add that burned-flour taste and adds a little crunch to the bottom.

Definitely get a IR.  You will need this to duplicate your results.

Now we can continue to talking about your dough! What was your recipe? Methodology?

Congrats on a great first bake!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:24:20 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

pizzapan