Author Topic: four grand mere "neapolitan"  (Read 3665 times)

Offline schmeal2

four grand mere "neapolitan"
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
any one have any experience with the four grand mere "neapolitan"  kit? 

http://www.breadstoneovens.com/collections/frontpage/products/outdoor-700-kit

Seems to be a pretty nice setup and similar to the roundboy but more traditional looking.  the dome height is low and adequate size for single pizzas.  Am I missing something?  Not ready to drop big $ on a oven or create a big construction site in the back yard yet.  Thanks

Neil

Offline schmeal2

Re: four grand mere "neapolitan"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:18:57 PM »
Here is what antoine says comes with it:
 Oven dome (1 piece)
- Oven floor (1 piece)
- Oven arch (1 piece)
- Cast Iron door
- Insulated door
- Assembly refractory clay
- Flue connector with shut-off valve
- 2' chimney pipe
- Chimney rain cap
- 2" bottom insulation ceramic board (up-graded from the regular 1")
- 2" to insulation ceramic fiber blanket ( up-graded from using just vermiculite)
- Vermiculite to make the igloo dome finish
- Masonry coating or stucco to waterproof the outside of the oven
- Choice of stucco color, Terra Cotta, Buff, Charcoal or Red.
- Detailed assembly instruction with pictures
- Stand if you decide to take it

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 06:26:34 AM »
For $1995 it seems like a great starter oven. I have a 28in oven and I wish I had something bigger now, though. You should have no problem with neapolitan pizza. The dome is pretty low, but do a search for Robyn and her FGM thread to see some stunning pizza coming from a FGM.

John

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »
Both those ovens are on my research list ... with about 4 others ranging in price from $1500 - $2500.

Did you pull the trigger on the four grand mere neo?  One thing I think is better with the Roundboy is the thicker base bricks opposed to the slab form on the neo.  Should retain more heat.. but being as this is my first official post on this thread, whadda I know?! ;-)  I do like the look of the neo better, and the door options and venting control.  Still so much to learn...

Offline schmeal2

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:24:22 PM »
Yes I did pull the trigger on fgm neo. I just couldn't do the look of the roundboy and the barrel shape as opposed to dome. Antoine at fgm has increased some of the items in neo package: 2" ceramic base insulation and 2" ceramic blanket as well as vermiculite and stucco for exterior. I had him build a steel base for me and it is supposed to ship Friday. Hopefully all goes well and I will soon be posting photos of my pies.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 08:26:35 PM »
Yes I did pull the trigger on fgm neo.

Congrats.  I can't wait for the fun to begin.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »
Schmeal good luck with the build! I will be on the lookout for pics of your progress and pies!
Chaz

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 09:02:32 PM »
Ok.. looks like you got the 700C version that does have the bricks for the cooking base, and not just the slab like on the smaller Neapolitan Pizza Oven Complete Solution.  I've looked at about 100... no maybe 1000 photos, videos and websites so everything is starting to blend together.

One thing that I am trying to do is keep the setup "somewhat" mobile.  The girlfriend has a great casa with an outdoor cooking area and fireplace that I'd like to move the oven to one day if she'll let me.. or if she keeps me that long!  But she loves to cook, and her pops is from Italy so he'd be on my side!

So that's one reason I'm looking at the smaller, somewhat modular builds like the Roundboy.  But who knows.. if I do get the smaller one for my place, and the woman likes it.. she may let me build a bigger/permanent one at her casa. 

Good luck with your build... can't wait to see the pics.. and the pies.

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »
Schmeal,

I think I'm getting the ovens mixed up on what you actually got.  

Did you order the 700A version, which on their website is listed as the "Neapolitan Pizza Oven Complete Solution?"
$1450 base price

Have you by chance a copy of the assembly / installation instructions? If so, could ya shoot me a copy or a link.. I can't seem to find anything on it.

I am considering the extended version of the 700A oven with the doors, flue shut off and stand.. but boy are they proud of the little stand of theirs!  Also, there seems to be a price discrepancy when adding the stand.  When you add it to the complete version, it adds $545 to the total cost. And when you add the stand to the extended version, it adds $600 to the total price. Not sure why it's more expensive when packaged with the higher priced oven setup?  ( Antoine @ Bread Stone Ovens has acknowledged the discrepancy and has corrected it )    Either way that little sucker seem way to high for what it looks like....I'm thinking more like $250 or so would be more in line.

Anxiously awaiting a few pics of your oven as they become available.

Cheers...

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:32:38 AM by danxmanly »

Offline schmeal2

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »
I got the neo version.  As far as I could tell, it's the same size as the 700c, just doesn't have the brick floor or brick arch. I did get the extended version with the flu adjuster and doors.  The stand was about the same price as the round boy stand if you price it that way.  But for me, aesthetic was also important and the round boy just doesn't look right to me and others really liked FGM quality.

Give Antoine a call, he is very responsive and happy to talk options and which kit is best. 

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
Typing this as im sitting next to a wodd fired oven at a pizzeria in dallas discussing home wfo's with a couple of buds who are using me as a test subject before they dive in!

Antoine actually emailed me the info and im already getting a good vibe on the company. I'm considering the exact same setup u ordered ... but may up size.to the brick version.

Still lotsa research to do!

Good luck with ur build!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:33:28 AM by danxmanly »

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 02:46:24 PM »
Well after several emails and a phone call to Antoine @ Bread Stone Ovens, I placed my order today for the 770A extended package and stand.  I went ahead and bit the bullet on the cost of the stand as everything else I was coming up with was looking to much like a permanent solution and was approaching 75% of the stands price anyway.

I have nothing but good things to say about Antoine... he worked up several packages for me within a budget range.. and if I decide to purchase a larger oven one day for the girlfriends house, it'll be from him.  Probably that 800C raised and bricked bad boy!  Just couldn't fit that in my budget now.

Will be burning pizzas with the best of them in a few weeks!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »
Good people Good  choice you will love it
Congrats!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »
dan: Congrats on your purchase! I was just looking through the bread stone ovens website and I dont see the 770A that you purchased. I only see the 700C. Or is the 770A the "Neapolitan Pizza Oven Complete Solution"?
Chaz

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 10:45:41 PM »
My bad on the typo.. it is the 700A.. not 770A.  And yes, the 700A is the Neapolitan Pizza Oven Complete solution.  Got the extended version with the doors and chimney items.  If you go to Four Grand Mere website it references that Neo oven as the Plein Air Oven (F700A )  which is where that number comes from.   Bread Stone Ovens handles the FGM product here in the U.S.

http://www.fourgrandmere.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_26&products_id=1121

pizzapan