Author Topic: New oven build  (Read 2903 times)

Offline lennyk

New oven build
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:18 PM »
I've pretty much figured out in my head version 2 of my pizza oven.
My first oven works very well except I hate having to crack the door and spin the stone.
Dunno how LBE guys can take that heat either, guess I am lazy.

Will be using a rotisserie motor to spin the pizza stone whose shaft will be mounted on bearings.
Using the burner from a Bayou propane rig.

L

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: New oven build
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
How are you going to heat bottom of stone and you will prolly want to use bushings instead of bearings...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline lennyk

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
Check version 1 here
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14268.msg142877.html#msg142877

It works very well for me, even top/bottom cooks are no problem at all.

I also switched to a cordierite stone instead of quarry tiles and improvement was significant.

The bearing will be outside and below, its a thrust bearing to take the vertical/axial load.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:56:58 PM »
Thanks, was going to ask you for that link... ;)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »
Version #2 has the burner completely shielded away from main lower compartment.....VERY interesting....

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »
Very nice, Lenny, I was just thinking to myself earlier today how, if space were not a concern, how a side by side arrangement of burner and stone is preferable to burner under stone.

I like the deflection.  You might want to move your deflector up a tiny bit higher so that it blocks more of the edge of the hearth. If you're not careful, that edge can get super hot. In commercial ovens, the deflection comes up to about 4 inches above the hearth. so the heat has to come up, around and down to hit the hearth.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »
If it were my oven I would mount the deflector on a pivot like the crude drawing I made.  In the first position would be for heating up the stone or quickly recharging it if needed for lots of pies.  The second position would be for cooking.
-Jeff

Offline lennyk

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 05:52:30 AM »
is the deflector made of just sheet metal ?

Very nice, Lenny, I was just thinking to myself earlier today how, if space were not a concern, how a side by side arrangement of burner and stone is preferable to burner under stone.

I like the deflection.  You might want to move your deflector up a tiny bit higher so that it blocks more of the edge of the hearth. If you're not careful, that edge can get super hot. In commercial ovens, the deflection comes up to about 4 inches above the hearth. so the heat has to come up, around and down to hit the hearth.

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:25:42 AM »
is the deflector made of just sheet metal ?

If you're asking about a commercial gas oven, yes, the deflector is made out of sheet metal- the same metal the rest of the interior of the oven is made out of- aluminized steel.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
ok, higher deflector is not a problem,
I was actually going to make the deflecter as a piece of quarry tile but I will just use a piece of steel.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
ok, higher deflector is not a problem,
I was actually going to make the deflecter as a piece of quarry tile but I will just use a piece of steel.

Mind doing another drawing of this Lenny...I'm about to assemble my LBE and am VERY interested in this deflector topic....I know you are dealing with a different shape but all ideas are great.

Offline creaton

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 02:31:22 PM »
Can anyone explain to me (or draw a picture) on the idea of how heat deflectors should ideally work in a pizza oven?  I'm also in the middle of a pizza oven project, and am unsure how best to use heat deflectors.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20077.0.html

Offline scott123

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 07:23:48 PM »
Can anyone explain to me (or draw a picture) on the idea of how heat deflectors should ideally work in a pizza oven?  I'm also in the middle of a pizza oven project, and am unsure how best to use heat deflectors.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20077.0.html

Deflection is heat re-direction.  It's taking a bottom heat source, and, by putting barriers in it's way, redirecting heat up and over the stone, so the stone doesn't get too hot and the top of the pizza browns correctly.  Anyone can point a burner at the bottom of a pizza stone, burn the bottom of the pizza and have the top barely cooked. Deflection solves that.  It turns an oven that only cooks from below (bakes) into an oven that bakes and broils- without adding a top element or top burner.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:26:52 PM by scott123 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
Can anyone explain to me (or draw a picture) on the idea of how heat deflectors should ideally work in a pizza oven?  I'm also in the middle of a pizza oven project, and am unsure how best to use heat deflectors.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20077.0.html
Are you talking about wanting to see a "cut away view" of how a deck oven is built?

Offline lennyk

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »
I started building the new oven, but in the interim I installed the motor drive in my current oven.

First pie tomorrow.

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »
Lenny what are you using as the exterior for your oven this round?

Offline lennyk

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »
The old/current oven is made up of a metal frame of hollow section 1 1/2" and sheeted inside/outside
because of the frame heat can travel from the inner edge of the frame to the outside so it gets pretty hot after a while even with the ceramic wool insulation.

The new oven is going to be a box within a box, using sheet metal bent and joined in a box.
So the only place heat can leak to the outer is via the front area.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
That chain drive setup looks solid, nice work lenny.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
Did a couple today with motor at over 700f
pies were around 2mins possibly less.

Nice and different than pies cooked at lower temps :)

Didn't take any pics but maybe tomorrow.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
took a video for the first time today, excuse the crappy positioning.
stone was probably around 620, didnt check at the time.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNKp6_D2_0&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNKp6_D2_0&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>