Author Topic: Need gluten free recipe?  (Read 2607 times)

piroshok

Need gluten free recipe?
« on: November 04, 2005, 11:13:06 PM »
Hi again
we are currently undertaking an eight week project with one of our sons who is a special kid to feed him gluten free foods and he happens to like pizza very much so I thought one of the foods could be pizza but gluten free pizzas
Any thoughts
thanks

The reasons
Autism and the Gluten-Free / Casein-Free Diet
A guide for Parents, Dietitians and other Health Professionals

Here's What We Know:
Over 500,000 people in the U.S. have been diagnosed with some form of autism.

Studies have shown that the inability to break down certain foods may affect neurological processes in some children, causing autistic behavior.

The proteins found in wheat, rye, oats, barley and dairy products (Gluten and Casein) are not completely broken down in some autistic children.

Gluten/Casein proteins are similar. For best results both should be eliminated for a trial period.

A Urinary Peptide Test can detect any protein that is not fully broken down and digested.

Contact your physician or health professional to have this simple, yet conclusive test done.

How Can a Gluten-Free & Casein Free Diet Help?
Studies have shown that certain foods may affect neurological processes in some children, causing Autistic behavior. Recent research suggesting that foods containing gluten (the protein in wheat, oats, rye & barley) and casein (the protein in milk products) should be avoided by many Autistic children is gaining credibility.

Most people have the ability to break down gluten and casein proteins into peptides and further into amino acids. When our bodies are unable to break down these foods, the problem is often misdiagnosed as food allergies.

Medical professionals in England and Norway have performed several tests on children with Autism and discovered that 50% of these children do not break down gluten/casein proteins completely into amino acids. These undigested proteins (peptides) are then eliminated harmlessly in the urine. However, a few peptides enter into the bloodstream.

Unbroken peptides entering into the bloodstream may cause abnormal brain development and create an opiate-like affect. Opiates depress the activity of the nervous system including such reflexes as breathing rate and heart rate. They can cause the individual to feel drowsy, warm and content due to the relaxation. They also block pain sensations.

These opiates are highly addictive and can reach toxic levels. A chemical dependency may develop that makes it difficult to “quit” eating foods containing these substances. This may be a possible explanation as to why many children with Autism crave milk and wheat products.

A simple urine sample taken to perform a Urinary Peptide Test can detect unbroken peptides.

If high levels of these peptides do appear in the urine, many parents have chosen to remove gluten and casein from their child’s diet. Recent studies have indicated that many show positive results from this new diet. Others have not shown any changes. However, the positive results may be evident within one week or it may take a full year before parents notice any changes.

Of those parents reporting changes after removing gluten and casein proteins from their child’s diet, the experience is varied. Some parents have stated that their child was able to sleep through the night. Others have reported that their child was now able to interact with other children and more importantly, with the family. The most positive feedback voiced from parents is “My child, who never had speech, is now talking in sentences.” Many families feel this much evidence warrants a gluten-free and casein-free trial period for their child.

The Gluten-Free Pantry™ can help families adjust to the diet. Our staff is caring and knowledgeable regarding the gluten-free & casein-free diet. We carry a host of tasty products which meet these dietary requirements.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 11:41:42 PM by piroshok »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Need gluten free recipe?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 12:21:30 AM »
Ricardo,

I have a friend with celiac's disease so I have from time to time looked into gluten-free dough recipes. As you may have discovered, trying to find replacements for wheat flour and gluten has not been easy. First there is the need to find a wheat flour replacement, and then to find a replacement for the gluten. This has led to the use of rice flour, potato flour, bean flour, soy flour and other flours that have no gluten. To these types of flours are added things like guar gum, xanthum, tapioca flour, and starches. It's highly unlikely that one who has become accustomed to normal pizzas will be thrilled with pizzas based on gluten-free crusts. It means having to become attached to a new regimen. One gluten-free pizza dough recipe that I saw that looks interesting is at this link: http://www.livingwithout.com/special_pizza.htm. It's yeast based, so there may be some gasses to be trapped by the "gluten" substitutes to give some volume to the dough. The dough can also be made in a bread machine which, if memory serves me correct, you now have in your possession.

If you do a "celiac pizza dough recipe" search on Google or other search engine you will find several other recipes for gluten-free doughs. When I did a search tonight I saw an Australian source for items like gums and starches. I don't know if the information is current or not. But it may be difficult to avoid using items like gums because there apparently aren't a lot of substitutes for gluten-free doughs.

I wish you well.

Peter

piroshok

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 07:24:40 AM »
Thank you Pete great info and I agree with what you have stated but it is though when you have someone with a medicall condition especially a son or daughter.
In my family case we have to go out of our normal ways to try new things in order t see if there is improvements
Thanks again

I don't need to scare people off gluten diets but lets have a look at some of the serious research undertaken on the subject http://www.nutramed.com/eatingdisorders/addictivefoods.htm
http://www.diet-studies.com/autism.html this particularly says the following:
Autism and Schizophrenia: Intestinal Disorders, Cade R et al. Nutritional Neuroscience, March 2000
    ". . . A gluten-casein free diet was accompanied by improvement in 81% of autistic children within 3 months. Our data provide support for the proposal that schizophrenia and autism are due to absorption of exorphins formed in the intestine from digestion of gluten and casein."

« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 01:33:22 AM by piroshok »

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 09:14:49 PM »
I don't know if you saw this but I was surfing and came upon it, and remembered you were looking for gluten-free recipes.

http://pizzaware.com/glutenfreepizza.htm

Good luck in your search,

Dan

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 09:22:39 PM »
Upon further review (that sounds like a football game) I see that my link recipe is EXACTLY the same as Peters. Oh well, I'll leave it anyway as there is a link to some other gluten free recipes, you may find them worthwhile.

Dan

piroshok

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 03:36:10 AM »
Thank you PizzaDanPizzaMan your intentions are well recieved

Offline joshua

• To pie, or not to pie...that is the question
Deep dish quiche pizza
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 06:19:57 PM »
I tried this out when i was on the ketogenic diet and it is actually very good:

Deep-Dish Quiche Pizza
Ingredients:
4 ounces cream cheese
Three eggs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 cups shredded Italian cheese (mozzarella, romano, parm mix - or your choice)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup pizza sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella
20 slices pepperoni

Directions:
Beat cream cheese and eggs until smooth. Add cream, parmesan and spice. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Put 2-cups pizza cheese in dish and pour egg mixture over. "Squish" around to mix. Bake at 375-degrees for 30-40 minutes until well browned. Remove from oven and cool. When you're ready to eat, spread on pizza sauce, sprinkle on mozzarella, and layer with pepperoni (or any toppings you choose). Bake about ten minutes in 375-degree oven until the toppings are bubbly and brown.

Recipe makes four servings.

Nutrition information per serving with topping:
Carbohydrates: 6g
Calories: 654
Fat: 54g
Protein: 33g

Hope this helps!

Offline pietradoro

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 08:25:20 PM »
Authentic Foods makes a pre-mix.  I've not tried it, but some of their other mixes are quite good.  You can order it here: Authentic Foods New Pizza Crust Mix
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 08:29:11 PM by pietradoro »