Author Topic: HELP! Need Sbarro's thin pizza sauce  (Read 6481 times)

Offline dkipta

• 65 Econoline
HELP! Need Sbarro's thin pizza sauce
« on: October 29, 2005, 07:01:16 PM »
Any ideas how to make Sbarro's thin crust pizza sauce?   I'm not good with sauces!

Thanks,

Dave

Offline dkipta

• 65 Econoline
Re: HELP! Need Sbarro's thin pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 01:22:56 PM »
Any more ideas out there?  Come on, I know you guys are experts!  Do I have to offer a Bounty?

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 03:15:49 PM »
When I used the search feature for this site I found this.

Sbarro Tomato Sauce

2 - 1 lb. 12 oz. Cans Crushed Tomatoes
1 - Tomato Can Cold Water (more or less to desired thickness)
4 Oz. Grated Romano Cheese
12 oz. Olive Oil
10 oz. Diced Onions
1 oz. Chopped Fresh Garlic
1/2 oz. Chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
3 oz. Sherry Cooking Wine

**SPICES**
2 Tbls. Salt
2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
2 tsp. Basil

1. Heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add onions and saute until
almost browned. Add garlic.

2. When garlic is brown, de-glaze pan with sherry. Add parsley and stir.

3. Add tomatoes, water, cheese, and spices. Mix well.

4. Bring just to boil and simmer one hour.

Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 06:46:45 AM by mama mia  

If you do a search you'll find dough recipes too.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 04:58:22 AM »
When I used the search feature for this site I found this.

Sbarro Tomato Sauce

2 - 1 lb. 12 oz. Cans Crushed Tomatoes
1 - Tomato Can Cold Water (more or less to desired thickness)
4 Oz. Grated Romano Cheese
12 oz. Olive Oil
10 oz. Diced Onions
1 oz. Chopped Fresh Garlic
1/2 oz. Chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
3 oz. Sherry Cooking Wine

**SPICES**
2 Tbls. Salt
2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
2 tsp. Basil

1. Heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add onions and saute until
almost browned. Add garlic.

2. When garlic is brown, de-glaze pan with sherry. Add parsley and stir.

3. Add tomatoes, water, cheese, and spices. Mix well.

4. Bring just to boil and simmer one hour.

Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 06:46:45 AM by mama mia

If you do a search you'll find dough recipes too.

There's no onions in their pizza sauce.  And if you're using canned tomatoes, you wouldn't have to do any cooking.  Just mix your ingredients together.  The oven will cook it for you.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 01:14:36 PM »
I was in the mall in San Jose a few weekends ago. I took a couple pictures of their storefront wich was decorated in various #10 Cans. I just cant figure out how to download them from my camera-phone.

Stanislaus 7/11 were up there as well as various sauces including pizza sauce that had the sbarro logo, that is packaged in New York.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 01:50:38 PM »
In the final pic with all the cans on the wall. The red cans are 7/11

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:11:22 AM »
I know this is an old thread but they used to carry this can of Sbarro at Smart & Final. They no longer have it.  I love the Sbarro sauce.  Too bad.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »
Maybe try using the recipe above and keep trying it until you get it close enough or possibly identical?

-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »
Just bought a can of this sauce at the Sbarro in the mall.  Should be using it tomorrow.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 12:31:42 AM »
Just bought a can of this sauce at the Sbarro in the mall.  Should be using it tomorrow.

What was the size or weight of the can and how much?Is there anything on a label you can share from the can?I will try and see if my local mall sbarro's will sell me some too,would love to experiement with their pizza sauce.Yet I was wondering what you paid for,how much,weight and etc of the cans.

Hope you dont mind.

Thanks!

-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 10:26:36 AM »
What was the size or weight of the can and how much?Is there anything on a label you can share from the can?I will try and see if my local mall sbarro's will sell me some too,would love to experiement with their pizza sauce.Yet I was wondering what you paid for,how much,weight and etc of the cans.

Hope you dont mind.

Thanks!

Hey chickenparm, I do not mind at all.  Let me see here -

1) The specs say Net WT. 106 OZ (3.01) KG

2) It's a yellow can that says on top "Made From Mama's Original Family Recipe".  Between Mama's and Original is a picture of I suppose "Mama".

3) Can is yellow and heavy as you might suspect from it being 106 OZ.   Actually it's the same can as Lydia posted a photo of above.

4) It was $15.50.  The manager said he could sell it for me for the price of a whole cheese pizza.  I said that's fine.  I had purchased one before from them months ago and they charged me the price of a combo meal which was like $9 plus tax or whatever that was.  This time it was more.  I think because a different person sold it to me.  I was hoping for $9 plus tax rather than $15.50 plus tax but how can I complain it taste good and there is plenty in there for many pizzas.  Last time there was so much I did not finish it and it went spoiled.  This time I'll do a better job of preserving the life of the sauce.  I forget how much these were being sold at Smart & Final for.  Too bad S&F don't sell them anymore.  I should have stocked up on them. 

5) Ingredients (in another post in another thread someone posted these ingredients too so I guess it's no secret but here it is) - Tomato Puree, Ground Tomatoes, Salt, Sugar, Spices.

So we kind of know what's in it but the big secret is what are the spices and what proportions of everything is in it?  Also do they cook it up or is it cold when they make it and never cooked up.  I'm not a sauce maker so I'm in the dark on this subject.

I love the pasta sauce and under the impression it was the same but it is not from what he tells me.  I'd like to buy some pasta, maybe the chicken Parmesan and get a good taste of the pasta sauce then buy some.  Also would like to get the lasagna.   

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:35:04 AM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 10:40:08 AM »
Did someone mention this but their website states that they sell their sauces at their Sbarro stores but it shows bottles that are nicely put together and marketed, not the raw can.  I call it the raw can because the cans are really for just the restaurant purposes mostly but the bottles are meant to sell to the public.  No Sbarro that I have been to have these bottles.  I'm glad I got the can not the bottle because there is more sauce in them obviously and also I know it's the real thing that they did not monkey for whatever reason like Taco Bell does with their in grocery store products which are different than the Taco Bell prepared food at their locations. Check out the Sbarro bottled products.  They must want to sell this stuff because they have a recipe for some dish at their website that includes as part of the recipe their Sbarro Marinara sauce therefore they want to sell it -

http://sbarro.com/sauces.php

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »

Hope you dont mind.

Thanks!

chickenparm, please check my thread on my gas bbq grill setup.  You can see how I made my pizza with the Sbarro sauce. Well not that making it is any diff than any other sauce but just a thread on my recent pizza and the Sbarro can is pictured too just like Lydia posted her photo of the can too -

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12244.new.html#new

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 07:12:51 PM »
The pizza was so darn good guys I have to tell you, that Sbarro sauce is great.  I would like to mimic it some how with my own recipe or one that have been posted here of course, but until then I will use this sauce. 

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 07:37:33 PM »
Struck out today trying to buy some sauce from my local sbarros.The Pizza guy there did not know how to sell it to me,he went through his computer and could not see any way to retail it.So he apologized a few times and said he never sold one before and not sure what else to say.he really did try and see,but oh well.

Thats ok though,I got some other stuff today from the stores.
 :-D
-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »
Struck out today trying to buy some sauce from my local sbarros.The Pizza guy there did not know how to sell it to me,he went through his computer and could not see any way to retail it.So he apologized a few times and said he never sold one before and not sure what else to say.he really did try and see,but oh well.

Thats ok though,I got some other stuff today from the stores.

What he has to do is press the button on the register called "Large Cheese Pizza", something like that then a charge of $15.50 plus tax will come up and you pay him the amount and it goes in the register.   This way it is a recorded transaction, Sbarro gets their money and you get the sauce, it's an even deal.  He might not be the manager.  The manager would have known that.  Next time you go there tell him that or get the manager and let them know that corporate said it was okay that you should go there and buy some.

Thanks for the update.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 09:27:45 PM »
Yeah,I don't think the guy was the manager.He did try and could not find it or did not know how.

That said,Im not sure if I want to spend 15 bucks for a can.How big is it?

I got a pizza today from them,it was OK...it has some major bubbles in it around the center area and they popped them down,but it did mess up the pie a  little bit.Around here,they sell me the large cheese pizza for 10 bucks.I always ask for the "special price" and they usually sell me the pie cheap.

I never pay that 15 bucks for their pies.Today,they told me the special price started at 5pm and it was 4 o clock so I told them I never pay more than that,they always give me that price,so they agreed and said ok.Nice folks there!
 :D

I picked up 6lb Escalon/Allegro Pizza sauce can today for under 6 bucks.Its a Full red,ready to go, pizza sauce.

I have yet to try it,and will post my findings.I will also pick up the 6-1 Escalon can next time I go back.I hear they are very good sauces,and hopefully they will be as good or better than the sbarro's flavor.I hear its better but I do like the sbarros sauce a lot.
-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 09:50:30 PM »
Yeah,I don't think the guy was the manager.He did try and could not find it or did not know how.

That said,Im not sure if I want to spend 15 bucks for a can.How big is it?

I got a pizza today from them,it was OK...it has some major bubbles in it around the center area and they popped them down,but it did mess up the pie a  little bit.Around here,they sell me the large cheese pizza for 10 bucks.I always ask for the "special price" and they usually sell me the pie cheap.

I never pay that 15 bucks for their pies.Today,they told me the special price started at 5pm and it was 4 o clock so I told them I never pay more than that,they always give me that price,so they agreed and said ok.Nice folks there!
 :D

I picked up 6lb Escalon/Allegro Pizza sauce can today for under 6 bucks.Its a Full red,ready to go, pizza sauce.

I have yet to try it,and will post my findings.I will also pick up the 6-1 Escalon can next time I go back.I hear they are very good sauces,and hopefully they will be as good or better than the sbarro's flavor.I hear its better but I do like the sbarros sauce a lot.

$15.50 was more than I wanted to spend too on the can because I've gotten it for $10 from them before but it depends on who I am buying it from I guess.    It is a lot of money for a can of sauce but the sauce is so good and it takes a long time to use it up.  Get a lot of pizzas from that one can.

$10 for that cheese is good.  I did not know Sbarro has a special price now and then.  I think I'll go to Sbarro and see if they have the special price at my local Sbarro.  If they do then I'd love a pizza for $10 from them.

I'm not familiar with Escalon pizza sauce.  Tell me more about it.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 10:39:38 PM »
The special price may vary by locations and state..they tend to only offer it during some peak hours around here,like 5pm-7pm or etc.If you know them well enough,they may have it for ya.They have never said no to me yet.
 ;)

Maybe 15 bucks for a large can of sauce you really enjoy isnt too bad if you can freeze some of it away and make it last a long time.(unless you make pizza all the time and its gone in a week!)

Im no expert on these other sauces,but Escalon and Stanislaus are two of the more popular brands I read about on here and other forums at times.

I have used a Stanislaus brand some years back and it was excellent! But I ended up wasting alot of it and was not making pizza too well then.

Escalon,this is my first time trying their pizza sauce.They also sell different cans of different stuff,under other names as well.
My local GFS supply store has Escalon products(includes allegro,bonta,and another) and a few other off brands I don't know of too well.

Go here for some info.
http://www.escalon.net/allegro.aspx

More below for stanislaus.

http://www.stanislaus.com/

Also,check out JT's thread about the Stanislaus,SuperDolce,etc.Im including the link below.

These are all great products you can purchase through a rest. supply store or sometimes online.some you do not have to do anything except dilute a little bit if its too thick or heavy.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10910.0.html

-Bill

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 11:05:16 PM »
stanislaus full red needs some sugar added to make it really good.  maybe some basil and parsley, some garlic, but it really needs sugar.  too dry
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

pizzapan