Author Topic: Photo editing  (Read 1348 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Photo editing
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »
Windows XP Home....when I file a pic that I've enlarged it goes back to the original size. What gives? Be nice....remember I forgot to read that computer for dummies book. Thanks!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
Re: Photo editing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
are you saving over the original or creating a new file after enlarging? what program are you using for enlarging?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »
I send it to a new file, tried sending to desktop too but it keeps going back to small size. I'm just using the simpleton program it takes me to when I click edit while I'm in a file looking at a pic. Sometimes I hit edit and a pic will come up already super sized....what program do you reccommend weemis...think it's time I steped up to something real. I've just recently figured out how files work so I'm pretty confident about being able to move things around pretty good i.e. work on a photo on a separate program and then move it without lose'in it   ;)  Thanks for your help..

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »
Bob,

I donít know how this will work for you, but I right click on a picture and it will come up with edit, then I click edit and it shows how big the picture is.  Then I right click the pictures again and it will come up with open with.  I use paint.  Then under image, I can resize to whatever size I want.  I click Resize/Skew, then put in the boxes what percentages I want to resize.  It all depends how many pixels are in the picture of what percentages I use.  Then press the File save button on the left top.  The picture then can also be edited at any time to larger or smaller.  If you want the picture larger, just put a number over 100 % in the boxes, then press save.  All my pictures are under my pictures on my computer.   I donít have XP now, but it did work for me when I did have XP. 

I know other members are going to tell you to use a picture optimizing programs, which is good too.

My method takes longer.   :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
are you saving over the original or creating a new file after enlarging? what program are you using for enlarging?
I right click edit and it sends me to "paint"    ;)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »
Bob,

I donít know how this will work for you, but I right click on a picture and it will come up with edit, then I click edit and it shows how big the picture is.  Then I right click the pictures again and it will come up with open with.  I use paint.  Then under image, I can resize to whatever size I want.  I click Resize/Skew, then put in the boxes what percentages I want to resize.  It all depends how many pixels are in the picture of what percentages I use.  Then press the File save button on the left top.  The picture then can also be edited at any time to larger or smaller.  If you want the picture larger, just put a number over 100 % in the boxes, then press save.  All my pictures are under my pictures on my computer.   I donít have XP now, but it did work for me when I did have XP. 

I know other members are going to tell you to use a picture optimizing programs, which is good too.

My method takes longer.   :-D

Norma
Thanks Norma,yes, I've got imageoptimizer all figured out . My problem is I loose the enlargement(magnifier) after I file the blown up pick...it keeps going back to the smaller size.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
Bob, here's a really simple, goofproof way to do it.

First, download this program: http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

Then open your pic (in your default viewer), blow up the picture to the size you want it to display, activate MWsnap using your set hotkey combo (I use shift-alt-x) and draw the rectangle area you want to show.  Hit return.   It will ask you where you want to save the snap and in what format.  Make a folder called "uploads" or whatever you want and save it there as a jpg or bmp.  Upload the pic and be happy!

When you do it like this, the kb size is always within the size limit of the forum.

I've been using this method for 10+ years when sending proofs, and never had a single problem.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
Every digital image size has two measurements. The actual physical dimensions, usually represented in inches or pixels (width by height) and image resolution (or dots per inch (DPI)). Computer screen resolution is 72 DPI, so for web images, this is an appropriate DPI. I would get to the resize menu in MS Paint and type in the dimensions you're looking for and then do a save as. put this file where ever you archive photos and you should be set. Try this and see if it works. Also look at the file size of the original and the new file and see if they are the same or different.

i use photoshop, but that's a way overkill for your needs. i'd imagine paint will do you well if you just get to know the tools available.

Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:34:57 PM »
Brian & Nick, thanks so much guys...I'm on it!   mwsnap looks snappy... ;)