Author Topic: Pizza pan - slicing / serving  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Pizza pan - slicing / serving
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »
Ryan, now you tell us..after I just bought one. I did however buy it for a different reason, will see how it works to keep the crust a little on the crispy side.

Mark
+1  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »
I did however buy it for a different reason, will see how it works to keep the crust a little on the crispy side.

Y'know, I hadn't really even thought about that, but I guess that makes sense. I just always put pizzas on a screen for a minute before I cut them. After a short rest on the screen, the pizza shouldn't be hot enough for vapor to condense between the pizza and a regular serving tray (or peel).

But now that you (and Bob in another thread) point out that these trays may be intended for less condensation, rather than my grease hypothesis, I did notice that today's pizza also seemed to lose its fresh appearance quicker than usual. Don't know if that results from the nibs cooling the pizza faster.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »
I cool on a round bakers wire cooling rack for aprox. 5 min., then cut on a board and then slide pie back to the rack where I then always lay a piece of alum.foil on top(shiny side down) while I'm devouring. Was interested in the alum. nubby for when "company" comes a call'in... 8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »
I believe that a major purpose of the nibs is to keep the pizza lifted off of the main surface of the pan so that it doesn't become soggy. As I understand it, that is the purpose of the Pizza Pleezers (http://www.zesco.com/Pizza-Pleezers-Serving-Pans-sz3768.htm) used for serving purposes (not for slicing) in some pizza establishments.

Peter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »
Yeah, well all it actually seems to do is: 1) Keep grease from exiting the pizza, and 2) Cool the pizza faster than if you had served the pizza on anything else, thus making the pizza look old (and cold) after about five minutes out of the oven.

As someone who owns one, I'd say if you're really interested in these things, start off by buying one. Just one. If anyone wants one, and you intend to be around central Ohio at any time in the future, come and get your free 16" nibbed serving tray.

pizzapan