Author Topic: Coated Wood Pizza Peel  (Read 1793 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Coated Wood Pizza Peel
« on: August 23, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »
I seen some peels has an oil base coat on them. I am wondering if the dough will slide easier using coated wood pizza peel ??? and you don't have use a much flour on the peel to slide your pizza.
Bert,

Offline slybarman

Re: Coated Wood Pizza Peel
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
I dunno about the coated peel, but I did try a trick last week that I saw in one of the Tony Giamgianni's (spelling?) videos. You lift the edge of the skin up off the peel and blow a little bit of air under it. Man, the pizza skin floats off the peel like it was on greased ball bearings (think of the skirt on a hovercraft). In fact, it worked so well the first time, that it caught me by surprise. When I tilted the peel back to lift it off the counter, the back half of the pie slid right off the peel and dumped cheese all over my foot and the floor. Oops.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »
I like to that, do you a link to that video? 
Bert,

Offline slybarman

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 03:21:05 PM »
He mentions it here @ 4:00:

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »
Thanks...
Bert,

scott123

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
It may seem counter intuitive, but, when it comes to launching pizza, finished peels are not as slippery as unfinished ones.  I believe it relates to the fibrous surface of the wood grabbing flour, which, in turn, allows the pizza to slide on a layer of flour.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »
it relates to the fibrous surface of the wood grabbing flour, which, in turn, allows the pizza to slide on a layer of flour.

That's explains why it is easier to lunch pizza with a dusted wood peel than metal Peel.

Would type of wood make any difference in sliding? specifically pine and birch??? birch is more dense
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »
slybarman,

Blowing a little bit of air under the dough really works, I tried it yesterday, the pizza skin really floats off the peel, even with all the topping. Your really have to keep your peel leveled once you do that, I messed up one pie.  Cool trick thanks for sharing.
Bert,

Offline slybarman

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
Great!

I am really digging this trick as well. I used it yesterday when I made pies - and yes, the pizza floated right off the peel like an air hockey puck. I could actually see the air bubble trapped under the skin.

LOL - sounds like you did exactly what I did when I dumped all the cheese and toppings on my foot. After the first time, you have a better idea what to expect, so it should be smooth 'sailing' for you next time.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:08:56 PM »
I messed up on my third pizza :( It was my best pies I ever made... It is hard to imagine how sillipry it gets till you try it..
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »
Last weekend I tried a new wooden pizza peel made out of birch, same size and shape as my pine peel, but much heavier. It was much easier to slide pizzas with little fluor dusting, I didn't exeperience any dough sticking. I will be testing it again this weekend.
Bert,

pizzapan