Author Topic: Specs for Real Italian Pizza on AP  (Read 6568 times)

Offline Pizzaholic

Specs for Real Italian Pizza on AP
« on: May 27, 2004, 09:22:03 AM »
Anybody see this in the paper or on the web???
Need to make contacts with the cheese and other suppliers LMUpizzadud

Italy Announces Pizza-Making Guidelines

Wed May 26, 1:46 PM ET  Add Strange News - AP to My Yahoo!

By ALESSANDRA RIZZO, Associated Press Writer

ROME - Pizza-makers beware Italy has outlined specific guidelines to protect the real Neapolitan pizza from bogus copies.

The regulations by the Agriculture Ministry touch on everything from size to ingredients to the type of oven. They will enable rule-abiding restaurants in Italy to get a special label attesting that real pizza can be eaten there.

But the initiative is broader, part of Italy's efforts to protect its cuisine across the European Union (news - web sites), although it was not immediately clear what steps would be taken in Brussels for enforcement.

The guidelines, eight articles printed Tuesday in the country's Official Gazette, rule that real Neapolitan pizza must be round, no more than 14 inches in diameter, no thicker than 0.1 inches in the middle and with a crust of about 0.8 inches.

"The texture must be soft, elastic, easily foldable," the guidelines said.

The norms specify what kind of flour, yeast, tomatoes, oil must be used in the real pizza.

They recognize only three types of real Neapolitan pizza: Marinara, with garlic and oregano; Margherita, with mozzarella cheese from the southern Apennines and basil; extra-Margherita, which requires fresh tomatoes, basil and buffalo mozzarella from Campania, the region that includes pizza's hometown, Naples.

The dough must be rolled out manually, and do not even think about electric ovens: the real pizza is only baked in wooden ovens that can reach the required temperature of 905 degrees Fahrenheit.

The regulations were approved after surveying pizza-makers in Naples and surrounding areas. Restaurants that abide by those rules will get a label saying that their pizza is a Guaranteed Traditional Specialty.

"These norms protect one of the most ancient and most important gastronomic traditions," said the president of a pizza-makers' association, Antonio Pace, also the owner of one of Naples' oldest pizza restaurants.

"We don't want the others not to make pizza, only we want them to make it as we make it as it should be done," he said Wednesday.

The ANSA news agency estimated that out of 23,000 pizza restaurants in Italy which ANSA said make 56 million pizzas each week about 200 would seek the tag immediately. But Pace said he expects the vast majority of restaurants to adjust to the laid-out rules to get the label.

Financial daily Il Sole 24 Ore, which like many other Italian papers devoted a front-page story Wednesday to the pizza rules, described the move as "an act of love, but a desperate one."

"Pizza is now a stateless, boundless, flag-less food," it said.

Pizzaholic

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:Specs for Real Italian Pizza on AP
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 08:24:48 PM »
Oh Kay then......
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Samm

• SF pizza delivery
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 10:54:09 PM »
One thing to remember. Italy is doing things like this to perserve it's culinary history as Europe becomes one. The DOC guidlines only means it is the authentic way to build a Neapolitan pizza not the best tasting.

It is kinda like restoring an old car to concours specs to preserve history.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 04:35:11 PM »
It's a good thing to have.  We should always know how things came about.

That's why I keep most of my old recipes, even if I don't use them.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 10:12:39 PM »
I'm the same way with all my recipes. Can't throw them away, shows me where I changed them and what I was thinking at the time. Every once in a while I will sit down and skim them to get new ideas for dinner.  ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

pizzapan