Author Topic: Comments on this design for LBE  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Comments on this design for LBE
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 05:45:14 PM »
.... I'm hoping someone with more experience chimes in with safety precautions....

You are building something that can kill you if done improperly.  If your not comfortable with that, then stop now.

Well, I guess it is for pizza, so .....
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
Here I come again with a Dissenting opinion, lol.  I think the proposed design will take forever to get the stone to temperature.  Commercial sized ovens designed like this with pipe burners are notirious for extremely long heat up times from cold.  I have a different idea I will post when I'm at a computer and not on a phone.
-Jeff

buceriasdon

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »
The jet is a threaded tube with a very tiny hole in the end from which gas enters the combustion chamber( the venturi) and mixes with air then is pushed thru the burners. The jet threads into the center hole in the venturi casting. The one you linked is just fine, it only needs a adjustment valve, hose, regulator added and you're set.
Don

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »
OK...now comes the hard part...".My idea is that the heat source would be on the same level as the pizza (like a WFO), so it should be easier to get the top heat needed to cook it properly."

A WFO's heat source also comes from fire/coals being directly on the deck. With your upward facing burner you are going to need more insulation than you would probably care to deal with...unless you like under cooked bottoms

edit:sorry Jeff, we bumped posts
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 06:05:29 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline kickz28

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »
You are building something that can kill you if done improperly.  If your not comfortable with that, then stop now.

Well, I guess it is for pizza, so .....

I'm aware of that, and that's why I wanna take all the safety precautions. That's why I'm posting here before going ahead with the build. Ive been reading about building burners for a couple of days now, but didn't find much information on safety. Any advice?

buceriasdon

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 06:05:23 PM »
Stone in the lid as a heat collector. Dang, Wish I was farther along with my lastest kettle with a round burner mounted in the top lid.Oh well.
Don

scott123

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »
Here I come again with a Dissenting opinion, lol.  I think the proposed design will take forever to get the stone to temperature.  Commercial sized ovens designed like this with pipe burners are notirious for extremely long heat up times from cold.  I have a different idea I will post when I'm at a computer and not on a phone.

As long as the BTUs are high enough, and there is a ceiling in place, this should perform similarly to an Avanzini Drago.

Offline kickz28

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
Stone in the lid as a heat collector. Dang, Wish I was farther along with my lastest kettle with a round burner mounted in the top lid.Oh well.
Don

Do you have a thread about this?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
I'm aware of that, and that's why I wanna take all the safety precautions. That's why I'm posting here before going ahead with the build. Ive been reading about building burners for a couple of days now, but didn't find much information on safety. Any advice?
I'll give you some advice....fogetaboutit!!   :o
Seriously though, just procede with much caution....take baby steps and make sure you have an adjustable  regulator that you can have dialed waaay back any time you go to initially test out any DIY contraption/mod store bought, whatever...

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 06:15:13 PM »

As long as the BTUs are high enough, and there is a ceiling in place, this should perform similarly to an Avanzini Drago.
Insulation situation...up top?

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »
Forno bravo uses the dragon in their gas ovens.  Not sure if they still do, but in the past the recommended a wood gas combo for ovens that will be heated from cold for this exact reason.  Commercial and home a different animals, a commercial oven never fully cools.

-Jeff

scott123

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Forno bravo uses the dragon in their gas ovens.  Not sure if they still do, but in the past the recommended a wood gas combo for ovens that will be heated from cold for this exact reason.  Commercial and home a different animals, a commercial oven never fully cools.

We're not talking about heating that much mass here. This won't be ready instantaneously, but, with enough BTUs, it could be ready in as little as an hour.  Everything hinges on the BTUs.  If, say, a single Drago burner preheats a commercial oven in 8 hours., if you double the burner, the pre-heat time shrinks.  If you remove 90% of the mass, the pre-heat time shrinks even more.  I'm not saying that this DIY burner will have twice the BTUs of a Drago, but, when you look at it from a perspective of BTUs to thermal mass, it will, relatively speaking, be the equivalent. It's a lot of heat going into a small amount of mass.

scott123

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »
Insulation situation...up top?

The ceiling stone could be insulated, but I don't think it's necessary.  This isn't re-inventing the wheel here.  It's just an LBE with, rather than partial deflection, it's complete deflection. Quite a few LBEs have been successful with heavy deflection. This only takes it a tiny bit past that. There's very little difference between a lot of heat above and a little below (heavy deflection) and a lot of heat above and no heat below (complete deflection)

Edit: I said 'rarely' rather than 'rather.'
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:36:38 PM by scott123 »

Offline kickz28

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
I'll give you some advice....fogetaboutit!!   :o
Seriously though, just procede with much caution....take baby steps and make sure you have an adjustable  regulator that you can have dialed waaay back any time you go to initially test out any DIY contraption/mod store bought, whatever...

Yeah, I'm feeling increasingly uncomfortable about this project! Maybe I'll just do the standard LBE and later decide to add a simple propane burner from a BBQ beside the stone for extra top heat...

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm feeling increasingly uncomfortable about this project! Maybe I'll just do the standard LBE and later decide to add a simple propane burner from a BBQ beside the stone for extra top heat...
I like the way you think....if you are hesitant at all about this, then that means that now is not the time to procede.  Take your time an research it well. There is more to the type of burner( you are contemplating) than what meets the eye...especially considering the psi's that would probably be required to make it perform in the BTU range your appplication dictates.

buceriasdon

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
After you have assembled your burner, hoses, regulators, valves and assemble the joints using teflon tape, it's time to soap test. Mix up some liquid dish soap with a little bit of water and turn off the valve to the burner and turn on the tank. Methodically going from one joint to the next brush the joint with soap and observe if bubbling occurs. If there is bubbling then shut off the tank and tighten the joint. Repeat until no bubbling can be observed. That's pretty much it.
Don

Offline kickz28

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 08:37:56 PM »
After you have assembled your burner, hoses, regulators, valves and assemble the joints using teflon tape, it's time to soap test. Mix up some liquid dish soap with a little bit of water and turn off the valve to the burner and turn on the tank. Methodically going from one joint to the next brush the joint with soap and observe if bubbling occurs. If there is bubbling then shut off the tank and tighten the joint. Repeat until no bubbling can be observed. That's pretty much it.
Don

This I was gonna do. Would there be anything else I need to check other than leaks?

I'm not sure now if I'll go ahead with this project or not.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »
This I was gonna do. Would there be anything else I need to check other than leaks?

Yes, your faith in God and whether your last life insurance premium payment was paid on time.  ;)

Offline kickz28

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 08:45:47 PM »
Yes, your faith in God and whether your last life insurance premium payment was paid on time.  ;)

I'll have to read if it covers blowing myself up trying to make some good pizza   :D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »
Well, worse things have happened to people even trying to make bad pizza. If you have ever had fire on you then you know exactly what I mean. Just be safe my friend... ;)

pizzapan