Author Topic: Video: Me and Breakfast/Dessert Pizza  (Read 819 times)

Offline Charlie802

Video: Me and Breakfast/Dessert Pizza
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »
Hello all,

I am new here and loving all the info I have seen here. I have been making pizza for some time, but recently I have really been working towards getting it just right.

A week or so ago I made a video of a pizza I make for my job. It was recorded, edited and uploaded pretty quickly, but watchable. Here's the link:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqYpGocoap0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqYpGocoap0</a>

I might be setting myself up, but I am looking for some comments and critiques, so go ahead, I'm listening!

Thanks.

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Video: Me and Breakfast/Dessert Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 02:14:29 AM »
Thanks for joining the site, there are some amazing minds who frequent this forum and until they chime in I will mention a few things since you asked. First, rolling pins are bad for pizza. Don't do it. Second, there is no way you are cooking your pizza at anywhere near 8-900 degrees, your bake time is pretty slow. You can also tell from how loud the crunch is when you cut the pizza it was a slow bake, you say 2-3 minutes, but from the looks do you think it might have even been closer to 4? I'd imagine since you are getting there in the morning and serving the pizzas for breakfast there is just not enough time to heat your oven correctly. Also I would definitely push the wood to the side and get the pizza further into the oven instead of just barely in the front.

I would love to have a WFO! Best of luck learning to use it!

Offline Charlie802

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »
Thanks for the comments Jefferynelson!
Yes, I knew that I was going to get slapped for the rolling pin.
The pizza is served for a first course of a 3 course breakfast (each course comes out of the oven), every second counts. I sacrifice the method in this application.

I cannot say what the temp of the oven actually was there, it was a estimate.
The cooking time, got me thinking, so I looked at the unedited video and the pizza went in at 2:15 the first turn was at 2:45 and came out at 4:20 - 2 minutes and 5 seconds (to be exact).

I push the coals/fire to the back for this morning cook, because I am cooking other foods other than the pizzas and I have found it to be a bit easier to have lower/different temp. zones.

Learning how to use it is constant. I have had a WFO for over 10 years, the first one was built incorrectly and was too tall with a chimney at the top (beehive like), it never got hot enough for a good pizza. I decided to tear that one down and have one built (the one in the video) which is the big brother (same design, same builder, just a lil' bigger) to the one I had built at my house sometime ago, and love. But, yes I am always trying to learn more, about pizza and about whatever else I can cook in the residual heat of the oven, like bread and pork shoulders and 12 hour Briskets 

It's a challenge getting the thing ripping hot in the morning, but it was my idea and the guests really seem to enjoy it ...so time to make the donuts.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 08:32:31 AM »
All things considered, i would hit the chev/strawberry/maple pie.  Maybe consider hand forming the skin as discussed. I think the slower bake time is to your advantage in this situation.  You have to carry the pizza into the house to be served.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Charlie802

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
That's a good point.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:39:08 AM »
I looked at your website, and the property looks gorgeous.

What is your dough recipe and workflow?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Charlie802

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »
Thanks TXCraig,

my very basic recipe base is:
3 cups 00 Flour
1 cup Water
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Sugar
1 pk Yeast

Mix, let proof, refrigerate over night.
in the morning allow to proof again and form and bake

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 02:07:47 PM »
Thanks TXCraig,

my very basic recipe base is:
3 cups 00 Flour
1 cup Water
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Sugar
1 pk Yeast

Mix, let proof, refrigerate over night.
in the morning allow to proof again and form and bake

Do you know how much your 3C of flour weighs? I ask because it could be 375g - 465g, depending on how you measure it, which would result in a hydration ratio of 63% - 51%. From the video, I'd guess you were in the middle somewhere.

What sort of flour do you use?

You shouldn't need to use any sugar with a WFO.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »
I like the crow background track, the maple might be overkill though.

Offline Charlie802

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »
"the maple might be overkill though",
said a Vermonter never.

TXCraig, I usually use Antimo Caputo. The sugar is there because I think the yeast needs it, which is not true, but I still do it.  Guess I should try and omit.

pizzapan