Author Topic: Third neapolitan try in new WFO  (Read 1571 times)

Offline p.elkjaer

Third neapolitan try in new WFO
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:21:04 AM »
Hi guys,

Yesterday it was the third time of baking in my new WFO, and also the third try of real neapolitan pizzas.
They were the best yet, and I made 2 changes:

1: I had heat in both sides of the oven, and also in the back. The pie below baked in only 82 seconds, which is the shortest bake I have ever tried.
However, I use ALOT of wood....

2: I used 58% water, instead of 63% which I tried the first two tries. Thanks to TXCraig1 for inspiration.

I am pretty happy in general, however, I would like nicer leoparding. How?  :chef:

Pictures:

Offline p.elkjaer

Re: Third neapolitan try in new WFO
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:21:53 AM »
More
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:27:00 AM by p.elkjaer »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 07:45:19 AM »
That pie looks pretty nice. The ovens spring looks good, and it has a  gentle, even  leoparding. I think you’re right that it is going to take a lot of fire since you don’t have a whole lot of insulation or thermal mass. I think the “U” shaped fire is probably the right way to go.

Do you have a metal peel? You might be able to get a little more leoparding/color  on top by lifting the pie up to the top of the dome for the last few seconds.

How long was that dough fermented? At what temperature?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:53:36 AM »
..... I would like nicer leoparding. How?  :chef:

Very good looking pie.  Making the outer edge of the crust a bit smaller may help also.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline p.elkjaer

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:54:20 AM »
That pie looks pretty nice. The ovens spring looks good, and it has a  gentle, even  leoparding. I think you’re right that it is going to take a lot of fire since you don’t have a whole lot of insulation or thermal mass. I think the “U” shaped fire is probably the right way to go.

Do you have a metal peel? You might be able to get a little more leoparding/color  on top by lifting the pie up to the top of the dome for the last few seconds.

How long was that dough fermented? At what temperature?

CL

Thanks Craig.
No I dont have a metal peel, but I am going to get one for sure. Also a little round one for turning.
The dough only fermented for around 7-8 hours and room temp. I used 0,5% fresh active yeast.

Offline p.elkjaer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 07:55:09 AM »
Making the outer edge of the crust a bit smaller may help also.
I'll try that also, thanks.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:52:24 AM »
Thanks Craig.
No I dont have a metal peel, but I am going to get one for sure. Also a little round one for turning.
The dough only fermented for around 7-8 hours and room temp. I used 0,5% fresh active yeast.

Longer fermentation will boost your leoparding. Fight the urge to use the fridge.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
Longer fermentation will boost your leoparding. Fight the urge to use the fridge.

I agree with Craig. Try .075% fresh yeast and 24 hours room temp fermentation. The pie is cooking fairly nicely, albeit with a massive amount of fire. That is due, as Craig pointed out, to the lack of insulation and the massive mouth of the oven which is allowing pretty much all the heat to escape. But even due to the poor design you got an 82 second pie, which is great.

John

Offline Yeasty Boy

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »

One of the reasons I've been bitten by the pizza bug was stumbling upon Jeff Verasano's site a little over a year ago. He's a strong proponent of the fridge, and most of my dough has been made according to his process.

What is the primary benefit of using the room temp fermentation vs. refrigerator storage? Is it like brewing, where the 70F ales get more fruityness than a 52F lager? ???

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:13:45 PM »
One of the reasons I've been bitten by the pizza bug was stumbling upon Jeff Verasano's site a little over a year ago. He's a strong proponent of the fridge, and most of my dough has been made according to his process.

What is the primary benefit of using the room temp fermentation vs. refrigerator storage? Is it like brewing, where the 70F ales get more fruityness than a 52F lager? ???

In my experience the fridge just gives the dough longer to ferment without becoming overblown, thereby giving the fridge dough more time to develop stronger and yeastier flavors in the dough.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 02:54:40 AM »
Like I said on the danish forum, it looks really good  ;) And good to see that you've become an active poster in here as well  :)

pizzapan