Author Topic: latest pizzas from homemade starter  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Howard

latest pizzas from homemade starter
« on: August 26, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »
I created a homemade starter about two months ago (from free range Hill Country yeast :D). I've made a few pizzas with it varying the fermentation times. The two pies pictured were made from dough that was fermented for 24 hours at approximately 78 degrees F. The ingredients percentages were;

374 g KAPF
236 g water
32 g starter (50/50 flour/water starter)
no salt
no oil

While the crust flavor and texture was quite good (beating anything else I've made with commercial yeast) I prefer a longer fermentation time. Even if that means a few days in the fridge. Both pies were cooked in a regular kitchen oven on a pizza stone set three shelves from the top at 550 degrees for about 10 minutes each. Both pies were made with San Marzano tomatoes for the sauce (one with chopped garlic in the sauce). sliced tomatoes, aged mozzarella, dried basil, and Kosher salt sprinkled on the crust prior to baking. One pizza included mushrooms.

Offline Howard

Re: latest pizzas from homemade starter
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »
And a few crust cross sections;

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »
Why no salt? Besides flavor, it also helps to control protease activity. If you extend your ferment time without salt, you could have problems with the dough breaking down. Protease enzymes are very salt sensitive, so even a little bit (>=0.2%) will help.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:57:51 PM »
Howard - You got a very nice crumb. The crust looks nice and crispy as well. I might suggest that for your cooking setup, add 2% oil, 1% sugar, and at least 1.7% salt. These additions will help with browning and actually cut down on the time in the oven at 550. You will also notice a difference in flavor.

If you do not add these ingredients for health reasons, I still think you made an excellent pie.

John
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:59:47 PM by dellavecchia »

Offline Howard

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:59:37 AM »
Howard - You got a very nice crumb. The crust looks nice and crispy as well. I might suggest that for your cooking setup, add 2% oil, 1% sugar, and at least 1.7% salt. These additions will help with browning and actually cut down on the time in the oven at 550. You will also notice a difference in flavor.

If you do not add these ingredients for heath reasons, I still think you made an excellent pie.

John

I'm still experimenting with this starter. This go around I used substantially less starter than previous bakes. Salt and oil were left out because I was a bit concerned those additions might inhibit the rise since I was using so little starter to begin with. But I shouldn't have worried, my starter is quite robust. Even though I'm still getting used to substituting it for packaged yeast, I have confidence in it now and will incorporate salt and oil back into the mix. And I'll take your suggestion regarding sugar as well. While I have cut down on salt over the past few years, I give myself a pass when it comes to pizza.

Thanks for the input from you and Craig.

Howard

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:31:20 AM »

Are these suggested percentages bakers' percentages (with the flour at 100%) or of the total weight?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »
Are these suggested percentages bakers' percentages (with the flour at 100%) or of the total weight?

Those percentages are based on 100% flour.

John

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »
Howard got any update on your starter?