Author Topic: Pizza Secrets by Beverly Collins  (Read 25123 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Pizza Secrets by Beverly Collins
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
Thanks Nick and John for the nice words.  But honestly Nick, it's just a sharing and exchange of information.  Without that, the forum doesn't thrive.  I wish more members would share what they know openly.  I'm not sure if it is lack of time, motivation, or a fear of being corrected.  

Nick as far as moisture on the doughballs, you may be correct I don't know.  Our physical environments are different so I can't say with certainty that your dough is picking up moisture OR losing moisture.  IF your dough is developing any sort of (dry) skin while being refrigerated, it is losing moisture and not picking up moisture.  The water droplets you see on the dough is probably just condensation from evaporation. 

Are your doughballs covered at all?  If so, is the inside surface of the container covered as well in moisture?  I haven't done this test, but an easy way to test your theory on whether or not moisture on a doughball creates blisters is to mist a room temp doughball with water prior to baking in the oven to see if you can create those blisters without the cold fermentation.  This test is a weak one and wouldn't prove much b/c IMO, I think the factors that causes blistering is much more than moisture on the dough. 

Alternatively, to see if that condensation on your refrigerated dough is indeed causing blistering or not, next time you bake up that dough, take a paper towel and wipe the condensation off of a doughball.  Bake it up side by side with a regular doughball and see if there is a difference.  Please let me know your results if you do the test.  

Chau
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:28:23 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2011, 11:05:04 AM »
 But honestly Nick, it's just a sharing and exchange of information.  Without that, the forum doesn't thrive.  I wish more members would share what they know openly.  I'm not sure if it is lack of time, motivation, or a fear of being corrected.  

Chau,

As both an active member and a Moderator for several years (since 2004), I have had a chance to see and study the trends of the forum. I have come to the conclusion that a very large percent of the folks who visit the forum are really only after recipes or to solve pizza problems. They are a large silent majority, with many lurkers, and are not particularly interested in becoming active members or contributing useful content through posting, or supporting the forum in any other way (like donating to the forum). And they are not particularly interested in the science aspects of pizza making. Many people register solely to have access to the forum's search features (before Steve changed things a while back they did not have to register to conduct searches), which allows them to find recipes and other information they may need to make their pizzas as well as to approach other members using the PM feature to request help. And since most of them do not have WFOs or LBEs/MBEs or 2Stones, or a desire or ability to construct same, they are mostly interested in recipes that can be practiced with standard home ovens and using ingredients that they can find at their local supermarkets.

The favorite recipes among this group are for the NY style (with the Lehmann NY style dough recipe being the favorite) and for clones of chain pizzas, even small regional chains. You can pretty much tell where they are looking for recipes or information by looking at the page views of the most popular threads. Many of those threads have little current activity yet have extraordinarily high page views (see, for example, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=36.0 and compare with http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,26.0.html). The ideal recipes are those that are are like cookbook recipes with everything pretty much in one place, and preferably with volume measurements (although many have scales). They by and large will not read through threads, and certainly not long ones, to find the recipes. I learned this when I created the compilations at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8297.0.html and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.0.html. Note the relatively small number of page views considering that the former thread is over two years old and the latter thread is about a year old. I suspect that people are disappointed when they open up those threads. Had I known the chilly reception that those threads would receive, I would not have created them.

At any given time, there are only a small group of members who are active, hard-core members such as yourself. And that group can change quite dramatically over the course of a year. Newbies have the shortest life spans on the forum and, as a result, rarely end up contributing much of value to the forum. They are the hardest group to help because they need a lot of hand holding. On occasion, a superstar will emerge from that group, but that is quite rare.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2011, 08:17:17 AM »
Peter, it was very interesting to see and compare the page views of the popular chain pizza threads against the NP style threads.  It really does show what the silent majority are interested in.  I can defintely understand a newbie's reluctance to just jump in and post as it can take quite a bit of time to settle in and get use to navigating the forum.

I guess I was thinking more about the large percentage of the regulars that we have that enjoy lurking much more so than contributing.  I'm always surprise to get a PM or an email from members about one of the formulas I've posted, because without that contact I would have not known anyone was even trying those recipes.  I would rather they just post their question in that particular thread so others might benefit, but it seems as though most people would rather not be heard from.  

Chau
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:26:45 AM by Jackie Tran »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »

I'm always surprise to get a PM or an email from members about one of the formulas I've posted, because without that contact I would have not known anyone was even trying those recipes.  I would rather they just post their question in that particular thread so others might benefit, but it seems as though most people would rather not be heard from.  

Chau

Chau,

I also get PMs about formulas I posted, or from members that want help privately.  If it is something simple, I will reply in a PM, but if a member wants too much information, I usually ask them to post on the forum for help.  I say I will help as much as I can, but if I would answer something wrong, then maybe other members of the forum could help.  I am no where near as advanced as you are in your pizza making skills. Only in my opinion,  I think members that want a lot of answers, could get better advice than mine, if they posted openly on the forum.  It takes a lot of time to answer questions in a PM, and I am not always sure if I am giving the right answer.  I still make many mistakes myself, and am always continuing to learn from other members. I have asked a lot of dumb questions openly on the forum myself since I have become a member.   :-D

Norma

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
I just read this thread from front to back. I wanted to reply both in the hopes that others not familiar with the thread would read it, and as a way of maybe shedding some light on member participation.
The last page of this thread deals with member participation or lack there of. In reality it takes me a long time to gain the necessary skills to accomplish a new task. Especially when that task is as complicated as dough making, as presented on this forum. As new members, I would assume that many of us who are dedicated would love to contribute one day and be helpful in our contributions. I do agree that if I can't contribute in a post then at least I can contribute with a donation of funds. This forum is worth the cost of several books @ $20 a pop. Probably worth more if charged by the hour, than a cooking course.
Thanks to all the "senior members" for your time and dedication in posting your ideas, it is most helpful to many here even if we are mostly silent.

Mark

P.S. isn't  it great when the spell check doesn't find any errors? :-D
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles