Author Topic: Peel for Neapolitan Pizza  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Pizzaiolo7

Peel for Neapolitan Pizza
« on: August 26, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »
I am deciding on the perfect peel for rotating and removing Neapolitan pies from a WFO.

I am currently looking at the GI perforated round peels, but am having trouble deciding on purchasing an 8" or 9" peel (http://bit.ly/NPNxfj). Is there really a difference? Are there any other peels I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Peel for Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 05:06:41 PM »
I am deciding on the perfect peel for rotating and removing Neapolitan pies from a WFO.

I am currently looking at the GI perforated round peels, but am having trouble deciding on purchasing an 8" or 9" peel (http://bit.ly/NPNxfj). Is there really a difference? Are there any other peels I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure about a perforated peel for rotating and removing. I use a perforated peel for loading, but a plain, round 9" one for rotating and removing. What advantages are you expecting from a perforated one?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »
having trouble deciding on purchasing an 8" or 9" peel (http://bit.ly/NPNxfj). Is there really a difference?

What size pizza will you typically make?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizzaiolo7

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:15:04 PM »
I'm not sure about a perforated peel for rotating and removing. I use a perforated peel for loading, but a plain, round 9" one for rotating and removing. What advantages are you expecting from a perforated one?

I have read that they are lighter and easier to maneuver, but that seems marginal.

What size pizza will you typically make?

I use a 270 gr dough ball to make a 12-13" pizza.

Thank you all for the quick responses!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 05:22:58 PM »
I use a 270 gr dough ball to make a 12-13" pizza.

I use a 9" round (non-perf) GI peel for turning/removing 13" pies. I also have an 8" round perf GI peel. I use it for moving logs in the oven. When I bought them, I expect to use them the other way around.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 05:24:15 PM »
I have read that they are lighter and easier to maneuver, but that seems marginal.

If there is any difference, it's meaningless.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizzaiolo7

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »
I use a 9" round (non-perf) GI peel for turning/removing 13" pies. I also have an 8" round perf GI peel. I use it for moving logs in the oven. When I bought them, I expect to use them the other way around.

CL

Thanks Craig! That's how I feel as well - that I would be using the smalled, perforated peel to turn/remove pies. But it seems that the general wisdom of this board is proving otherwise.

So would you recommend these peels instead? (bit.ly/RmT4JJ)

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
Thanks Craig! That's how I feel as well - that I would be using the smalled, perforated peel to turn/remove pies. But it seems that the general wisdom of this board is proving otherwise.

The smaller 8" round peel will work. Where you will run into problems is when a pie stretches a little large and/or thin as you launch it. If you want to pick it up and dome it, it can get a little dicey. I can't see any drawback to going a little larger with the 9".
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizzaiolo7

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
The smaller 8" round peel will work. Where you will run into problems is when a pie stretches a little large and/or thin as you launch it. If you want to pick it up and dome it, it can get a little dicey.

I've been using a 13" wooden peel to launch my pies and have a junk 13" metal peel that I have been using to turn/remove the pies. I am just looking for an upgrade that will allow me to more easily turn the pie and remove it from the WFO.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »
I've been using a 13" wooden peel to launch my pies and have a junk 13" metal peel that I have been using to turn/remove the pies. I am just looking for an upgrade that will allow me to more easily turn the pie and remove it from the WFO.
I use a home made wood peel 12" by 22" to put 2 pizza at a time. Then I use a 8" metal utility peel from FGM to rotate them and often to take them out to. If not I use a 12" by 14" metal peel to take them out and serve them.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »
I use a home made wood peel 12" by 22" to put 2 pizza at a time.

How wide is the opening in your oven?

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »
How wide is the opening in your oven?
The opening is 17" wide. Why?

Antoine

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 06:51:02 PM »
The opening is 17" wide. Why?

Antoine

I'm trying to figure out how I would load 2 pizzas at the same time into my oven, which has a 20" opening. I assume your method involves one pizza at the back and another closer to the front? Do they both come off the peel in the same motion? Thanks.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how I would load 2 pizzas at the same time into my oven, which has a 20" opening. I assume your method involves one pizza at the back and another closer to the front? Do they both come off the peel in the same motion? Thanks.
Yes, it is pretty much one motion where I slide off the first one and the second one right behind it. However you have to be careful to not go to fast or you end-up with the pizza touching or slightly on top of one an other and at that temperature they fuse together. Then you can't move the pie until the dough starts to get harder and it is a pain to separate them.
One option is to slide one off and then move the peel further to the side and slide off the other one. You still save a lot of time compare to having them on 2 separate peels or having to reload the peel.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »
You still save a lot of time compare to having them on 2 separate peels or having to reload the peel.

Please define "a lot of time."
Pizza is not bread.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 07:17:29 PM »
Please define "a lot of time."
When you do 50 to 70 pizza an hour, it is half the motions.
At home it allows me to save a trip since the oven is outside and the kitchen inside and about 20' away.
But I agree it depends how many pizza you make to see a point of loading 2 at a time :P

Offline Pizzaiolo7

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 07:32:11 PM »
Before I go and spend my money, I just wanted to make sure. Would this be the peel you recommend for turning/removing?

http://www.gimetalusa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=199&category_id=157&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=214&lang=en&vmcchk=1&Itemid=214

Thank you everyone for your help!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »
Before I go and spend my money, I just wanted to make sure. Would this be the peel you recommend for turning/removing?

http://www.gimetalusa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=199&category_id=157&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=214&lang=en&vmcchk=1&Itemid=214

Yes, assuming that is the handle length you want. I have the 59" handle, but I have a 47" oven.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 10:50:05 PM »

How big is your oven? You may want to check that the grip in the middle of the handle doesn't get into your oven as you would burn yourself.
Good professional utility peels only have a grip at the end of the handle so the rest of the handle can slide smoothly in your other hand when you go deep into your oven.
That would be my only recommendation.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 11:25:40 PM »
How big is your oven? You may want to check that the grip in the middle of the handle doesn't get into your oven as you would burn yourself.
Good professional utility peels only have a grip at the end of the handle so the rest of the handle can slide smoothly in your other hand when you go deep into your oven.
That would be my only recommendation.

The middle grip slides on GI peels. I wouldn't even consider a turning peel without a sliding middle grip.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan