Author Topic: Final Pre-WFO NY pies  (Read 741 times)

Offline PizzaioloCow

Final Pre-WFO NY pies
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:21:20 PM »
This pie was 60% hydration, .2% IDY, 2% salt, and 100% KABF.  It was my best yet, although I still have a really long way to go.  I made two pizzas using 200 gram dough balls, stretched to roughly 10", which gives a thickness factor of .09.  The first one came out rather pale because of too much bench flour, but this one had pretty good color.  I don't know the exact temperature of the stone when I slid the first pizza in, but it was enough to generate a bit of char.  The oven itself was set to 550 degrees and was allowed to preheat for 45 minutes prior to baking.  I then topped it with Cento all-purpose crushed tomatoes which my mom found on-sale when she was shopping, as well as dry mozz and pepperoni from the local Italian market.  I added table salt and sugar to the tomatoes just prior to putting them on the pizzas.

I made the dough balls by mixing water water and salt together and then adding the flour and yeast.  I then hand-kneaded using TXCraig1's slap-and-fold technique and proceeded to divide the dough into the 200 gram balls.  They were then placed in the refrigerator for 2 days in circular containers and taken out 1 1/2 hours prior to forming skins.  The spring wasn't as good as I would have liked, but these were made mostly to practice using the peel before moving to the WFO.

Sorry the second picture is so blurry; it was supposed to demonstrate the crumb structure.

Thanks!
-Jake
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:50:00 PM by PizzaioloCow »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Final Pre-WFO NY pies
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:56:40 PM »
Nice job Jake! So, do you actually have the wfo yet, or are you just looking ahead?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »
There's pictures of one in a grassy environment on his other thread.

What's the pepperoni?

Offline PizzaioloCow

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:28:25 PM »
@Ev

As AimlessRyan said, my family does, indeed, have a WFO; right now it's curing, so it can't be used to bake quite yet.  You can see the pictures of it here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20180.msg203055.html#msg203055

@AimlessRyan

I don't know the brand of pepperoni; it comes in a small plastic carton simply labeled "Pepperoni".  We get it at Monnettes' Market here in Toledo.  There's a good chance, though, that they're buying from Sofo Foods, also in Toledo; I know that Monnettes' purchases premade pizza shells from there.  I can give you a picture of the pepperoni, if you want.

Sofo Foods' website: http://www.sofofoods.com/index.asp
Monnettes' Market website: http://shopmonnettes.com/

Thanks for the compliments on the pizzas!
-Jake

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 01:52:13 PM »
Jake, nice looking pie you got there. And the oven looks great. Enjoy!
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »
The oven looks great! You must be very excited to try it out!  :D

pizzapan