Author Topic: BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM  (Read 16553 times)

Offline Zing

Re: BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »
On a trip through York, PA we stopped in at Jim and Nena's Pizzeria on Memory Lane. The owner of this branch of the chain provided a testimonial for the Bacio website:
http://www.baciocheese.com/testimonials/
This is a basic pizzeria, offering very good value for money. They make a New York style, and the crust is above average for the area.

We ordered a whole cheese pie so it would be fresh. There were no marketing materials in the store advertising particular food products used. No visible cheese boxes or packaging materials, so no guarantee this particular pie used Bacio cheese. However, there is a link to a Vimeo video on Bacio's testimonials. It is video number 75542564. The sheen and stretch on this pie was similar to the that seen on the pies in the video. Well, the cheese did not taste like the imported buffalo milk mozzarella my neighbor bought (it was not a match for Shakey's cheese either) a few months ago in a gourmet shop. The cheese was good, but it was not the second coming. It reminded me of the cheese you get in basic, stand-up NYC neighborhood slice joints. Never bad, but not spectacular.

The linked-to Vimeo video looks like it was shot by a moonlighting Food Network crew. Four of the five pizza operators shown are within easy driving distance of Roma Foods division headquarters. The scenes are filled with edited sound bites, and we all know how that goes. From both the testimonials web page and video, you can see who their targeted customers are: mom and pop pizzerias and small Italian restaurant chains who buy the "better" cheeses. Many of these buy from Italian foods distributors rather than the national broadline distributors. I have no problem with a wholesaler promoting a private label brand line of products, but market it ethically.

One of the pizza operators shown in the Vimeo video includes a tie-in to Bacio cheese on his website. In the Youtube video for one of his branches, he states, and I quote, "From, ah, the fresh basil we put on, to, ah, the buffalo milk mozzarella, to the pizzas, put it right on top like this." While you, too, can identify the endorsers, I don't want to cause anyone embarrassment from a Google search.

I can find only one other thread here that discusses "regular, unfrozen" Leprino pizza cheese,
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7386.msg63688#msg63688
and I have never come across any for sale with Leprino's name on it. A review of "regular, unfrozen" Leprino vs. Bacio would be of interest, if only for the pizza operators among the members here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:25:53 AM by Zing »

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »
I can attest to the sheen of the Bacio cheese.... it is fairly browning resistant as well.

One thing about the Bacio cheese I noticed is that it melts very oddly....it melts and expands significantly. When making a pie with bacio you have to make a somewhat pronounced rim. It doesn't lend itself to the thinner crust styles because it will run over the sides almost everytime. I have a theory on this as well... I think they really did engineer this for the mom and pop shops so that they can get better coverage with less cheese. But then again, what business wants to SAVE it's clients money...it's not like cheese isn't a fairly cornered market at this point in time. Nonetheless, the melting properties of Bacio has a very weird artifact IMO.

Another thing, for such pronounced melting..it doesn't stretch too impressively IMO and it isn't a very good reheater either.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:35:34 PM by Hobbs »

Offline JD

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
I can attest to the sheen of the Bacio cheese.... it is fairly browning resistant as well.

One thing about the Bacio cheese I noticed is that it melts very oddly....it melts and expands significantly. When making a pie with bacio you have to make a somewhat pronounced rim. It doesn't lend itself to the thinner crust styles because it will run over the sides almost everytime. I have a theory on this as well... I think they really did engineer this for the mom and pop shops so that they can get better coverage with less cheese. But then again, what business wants to SAVE it's clients money...it's not like cheese isn't a fairly cornered market at this point in time. Nonetheless, the melting properties of Bacio has a very weird artifact IMO.

Another thing, for such pronounced melting..it doesn't stretch too impressively IMO and it isn't a very good reheater either.

I agree with your expansion theory. I have to keep myself in check and put on less than I want to because after it bakes it appears to have much more volume (thickness in particular).

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Ahhhhh... Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »
Bill/SFNM beat me to the punch on this one. But, to add to what Bill said, spammers usually try to slip links into their posts or in signature lines or with their avatars. Maybe the new member is just a big fan of the Bacio cheese and wants to shout it out to the world. Even if the member is a spammer, I would not want to delete the post by scott r or the other members with opinions and views on the Bacio cheese.

Peter

Did you notice that this bruiser only has 1 post though?

shenanigans indeed
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice." - Henry Ford

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
Did you notice that this bruiser only has 1 post though?

shenanigans indeed
The Railroad Bulls,

The vast majority of new members do not become regular posters. We have thousands of members on the books who have never posted outside of their initial introductory posts. So, you can't draw any conclusions in this instance.

Peter

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »
I have tried it a number of times to give it the "benefit of the doubt" thinking maybe the first batch was a bad batch, or it was improperly handled.   I even got it directly from PFG so there was no middleman to leave it sitting out for a day by accident.

I was not that impressed.  The flavor was ok, but I have had better.  It didn't taste like there was any buffala in there to me, so I think the percentage of cows milk must be quite high.   Also, this cheese doesn't have a great resistance to burning (like bufala), so I was forced to run my oven at 625 which is lower than I typically want to.   That messed up the crust consistency I was going for.   Aged cheeses like Poly-0, grande, and a number of "budget" cheeses I have tried do a much better job of resisting burning. 

If I was a typical pizzeria making 550 degree pies, this would be a contender for sure... but the end all be all cheese it is not, especially considering that its the most expensive aged cheese I have ever purchased.     

Interestingly it is the pizza cheese used at Gillette Stadium, so you can taste it there.         

PFG must be getting a larger percentage of sales of BACIO, cause their sales staff PUUUUUUUSHES it like crazy....and believe me, their sales staffs food knowledge is probably on par with the general public.  The buffalo part is a joke....not ONE pro I gave it to could taste buffalo, it doesn't melt as well as Calabro...flavor is OK, nothing great......I don't get it.....but it is the darling right now.

I even like the king of cheeses better than BACIO.

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Ahhhhh... Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
I'm yet to find this in my area, but, I love the Bacio adds in PMQ and Pizza Today... ;-)
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice." - Henry Ford

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2015, 01:05:01 PM »
Bacio is mediocre food service mozzarella. I don't know one great pizzeria using it. The one that did was terrible.