Author Topic: Howard's pizza sauce  (Read 4667 times)

pizzafairy

Howard's pizza sauce
« on: December 19, 2003, 07:28:20 PM »
 ;D H! I wondered if anyone has a copycat recipe for HOWARD's(Great Falls MN) pizza sauce??
I think you can buy jars of Howard's pizza sauce to make that little slice of heaven at home,but
you probably need to buy it at Howard's Pizza & I want a homemade sauce similar in flavour.
I just joined here recently and the forum is very cool.
If someone else has a version of their favorite soulful tomato based pizzasauce,please feel free to post it as well!
Thankyou pizza lovers!~P/S The spicier the better!

Offline Wayne

Re:Howard's pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 10:12:11 PM »
Ugh I just spent 30 minutes typing my sauce recipe and I accidentally deleted it!  Well I don't really feel liek typing it again lol so I'll put it up tomorrow or somethin.  Anyway, I dunno about the exact recipe you are looking for, but there's a howards pizza dough recipe posted here.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=120

I dunno if that has anything to do with your sauce but its a good dough recipe.  Just thoguht you'd liek to check it out since it has the same name heh.
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

pizzafairy

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 12:20:36 PM »
 ::) Hi Wayne,i also just lost my entire reply to you........Oh joy! ::)
Sorry you r sauce recipe got whisked away,I am looking
forward to trying it out!
That is great that the Howard's crust recipe is posted,I gotta try that!
As for the elusive Howard's sauce,when U tried it it was on a wonderful slice of pepperoni & mushroom pizza,very spicy and tomatoe~y! I think you can get lars of Howard's
pizza sauce at his Pizzeria's,but it would be cool if there
was a mail~order source....I would probably buy a case!

Offline Wayne

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 09:13:52 PM »
Ok here I go again.  Before I list it though, I warn you that I eyeball this each time.  I haven't kept measurements.  I just work with it until I like it.  I am making pizza tomorrow though and I will try to remember to get everything measured.

You will need:

1 can of whole tomatos
1 can of plain tomato sauce
1 can of tomato paste
white wine worstershire sauce
olive oil (preferably extra extra virgin)
onion powder
salt (preferably more corse than table salt)
garlic salt
cracked black pepper
cheyenne pepper
fresh chopped basil
1 jar of your preferred brand of pizza sauce (optional)

1.  Empty tomatos into a large bowl and crush them until they reach your desired consistency.  If you like a richer sauce, drain the juice before crushing the tomatos.

2.  Add tomato paste and mix.  Add paste and sauce while mixing until you are satisfied with the balance.

3.  Add a small amount of your favorite pizza sauce brand to mixture.  This will give your sauce body.  Don't use too much, otherwise you defeat the purpose of making home made sauce.

4.  Add white whine worstershire sauce.  Enough to add flavor but not so much to overpower it.

5.  Add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil.  Mix well.

6.  Excluding basil and cheyenne pepper, add all remaining seasonings to mixture.  Season to taste.  Mix well.

7.  Add cheyenne pepper until desired spiciness is reached.  You may also want to try tobasco sauce, jalapeno sauce, or habanero (VERY VERY hot pepper.  Use with caution) sauce.

8.  Once your sauce is spicy enough, add a generous amount of the chopped basil and mix well.  

9.  Cover your sauce and refridgerate at least an hour before using.  As it sits, the seasonings will melt and the flavors will blend together.  If you used proper proportions, your sauce will taste the same, only better.

10.  About 1 hour before making pizza, remove sauce from the refridgerator and allow to warm up.  Mix well and let stand.

11.  Mix well again and taste.  Add any last minute modifications you desire.

And voila.  This is how I make sauce.  I will try to remember to measure tomorrow, lol but this has always worked for me.  It goes great on the howards pizza dough recipe.  Hope you enjoy it!  And please feel free to give me any input and tips you may wish to add so I can try them out.

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 09:20:13 PM »
By the way...

"when U tried it it was on a wonderful slice of pepperoni & mushroom pizza,very spicy and tomatoe~y!"

Pepperoni and mushroom.  My FAVorite...  I guess I know what I'll be makin tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 09:20:28 PM by Wayne »

Thick crust, or thin?

pizzafairy

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 04:40:17 PM »
~pep and mushroom has always been my fave pizza too!
LOTS of MUSHROOMS and LOTS of HERBS!
Thankyou for posting your pizza sauce recipe,it looks
really great! ;D

Offline Wayne

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 07:32:16 PM »
Sure no prob.  Just wish I got the chance to measure it.  My dad made the sauce while I was doin somethign else and he messed it up.

Thick crust, or thin?