Author Topic: Bakers & Chefs Bread Flour  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Bakers & Chefs Bread Flour
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
I don't get it. I must have got a bad batch of this stuff because I'd bet money that what I got doesn't have anywhere near 11.4% protein.

I tried two batches of pizza dough with it. Despite a long autolyse and twice the kneading that I normally do with the KA and by hand, I got very little noticeable gluten development. I have made pizza dough with GMAP flour and got much better gluten development.

I even tried to make a loaf of bread in the bread machine with the B&C and was disappointed with the crumb.

The bag that I have is worthless IMO, other than maybe as bench flour..
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Bakers & Chefs Bread Flour
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
I tried making pancakes with this stuff and they turned out lousy too.

One thing that I noticed about this flour is that it is a little clumpy. I feel like I need to sift it before using it. I'm assuming that this is due to moisture content. I'm beginning to wonder if the reason that my bag of this flour is not performing well is what Craig mentioned in another thread:

My guess is that there was enough moisture in the flour for a long enough period of time to activate the enzymes and degrade the proteins to a point where the gluten is insufficient to make a dough.

Maybe?
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink