Author Topic: Hardwood pizza peel  (Read 1420 times)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
Hardwood pizza peel
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »
My peel is made of some crappy light wood. It's a cheapo and I'm blaming it for some of my launching problems. It is also fairly porous and bumpy. I want to get a nice hard wood peel. Googling turns up a bunch of options, too many. Where is a good place to buy to get a good peel at a decent price? Are some hardwoods better than others?

Thanks,
jb

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
Re: Hardwood pizza peel
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »
if you're looking to have one made, you can check out this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20383.0.html

after checking out a whole lot of peel makers, including the one peter tipped me off to, i ordered 2 of these for $55 each: http://www.etsy.com/listing/103966530/pizza-peel
the guy's making them with bloodwood and birdseye maple (you can specify woods and sizes to your liking). should be a beaut once finished! and he's even gonna send me some of his sourdough starter with the peels for me to play with!

I've had a couple peels that just split at the seams. I got sick of dealing with the cheap ones. time for a long lasting and well crafted pizza peel or two!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »
I've used American Metalcraft peels for about ten years (one wood and one metal). I've probably made a couple thousand pizzas with them, and it appears that they will never need replaced if I keep making pizzas at the same rate. (You can see them in many of my pics.)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »
Weemis,

Those look great. A bit pricey, but may be worth it.

Ryan,

Are those hardwood peels? The pics look just like the one I have. I've abused mine. I've gotten it wet and I've used it to cut pizza. This was before I learned you don't want to do either of those. Also seems the harder the wood the less porous and therefore less stickage.

Thanks to both of you.
jb

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »
Ryan,

Are those hardwood peels?

Sorry, but I don't know crap about wood. All I know is that the wooden peel in my pics is made from a different kind of wood than the first peel I had (which is/was a consumer-quality peel that I probably bought at a kitchen store at an outlet mall or something). I got my AM peel(s) at Restaurant Equippers (http://www.equippers.com/) in Columbus, Ohio, and I think it's what they still carry there.

Mom says my peel is "maybe a fine-grain, light-colored wood like poplar."

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:34:55 PM »
I also have been using a couple of the American Metalcraft peels for maybe ten years.  Haven't made quite as many pizzas as Ryan, but certainly several hundred, and they haven't been treated kindly.  I don't think the wood is anything special - something soft like pine or spruce maybe.

Those hardwood peels sure are pretty, but for me, a peel is a utilitarian tool.  People "ooh" and "ahh" about what sits on top of it.
--pat--

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:57:21 PM »
Thanks Ryan.

Enchant,

I have trouble getting a pizza off the peel. I'm hoping a hardwood will make it even more utilitarian. No one oohs and ahs over pizza on the bottom of the oven. :)

jb

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »
You just have to be more creative in how your pizza lands in the bottom of the oven.

But seriously...  If a hardwood peel solves your problem, it's doing it's job!
--pat--

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »
Those hardwood peels sure are pretty, but for me, a peel is a utilitarian tool.  People "ooh" and "ahh" about what sits on top of it.

Given that I'm a cheap a$$, I'd normally agree with you. Since starting a mobile WFO business, I'm trying to beautify my tools. And making money off pizza helps justify the purchases! Also, I enjoy having one of a kind, hand crafted tools made by passionate people. It helps encourage my own passion! And if it weren't for folks supporting the small artisans out there, I'd be out of business. Just adding to the current! :chef:

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
I have trouble getting a pizza off the peel. I'm hoping a hardwood will make it even more utilitarian. No one oohs and ahs over pizza on the bottom of the oven. :)

jb

You might just need some more practice. Some people here use a more coarse dusting flour, or maybe just a bit more dusting flour would solve your problem. I'd check out a couple other options before blaming the peel. are you shaking the pizza loose as you go?

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »
You might just need some more practice. Some people here use a more coarse dusting flour, or maybe just a bit more dusting flour would solve your problem. I'd check out a couple other options before blaming the peel. are you shaking the pizza loose as you go?

I do the shake, rattle and blow. My main problem is too much stuff on the pizza, too slow making it and being a bit sloppy with some of the wet ingredients. I was never much good at coloring within the lines. Lately I've been cooking pizza on my grill that has a double stone with a 3 1/2 inch gap. Makes getting a pizza in there even more of a challenge. The peel is only a part of my problem. Like you I also like nice equipment and my peel has been abused. Time to get a new one.

jb

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »
JB, I am also into buying stuff, especially when I am convinced that I need it. I too have been looking at a new turning peel, I have found several but the shipping is almost 2x the peel cost. I am too cheep I guess.
I have had my share of pizzas all crumpled on my stone, yikes! I have been using a mixture of flour, seminola and corn meal as a peel dust, I also shake my skin each time I add a new incredient while dressing. Keeps it movin'.
Hope you find the killer peel that makes those pies slide right onto yer stone, just like the pizza gods intended!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
I have used all three of those at different times. It does work, but I often get a lot of burnt flour on the stone after a few pizzas. I have new idea to use a doubled over piece of parchment paper to build the pizza on, then transfer it to a lightly floured peel and then remove the parchmnet before launching it on to the stone. Since it's doubled over I should be able to gently pull it our without disturbing the pie. This would also allow me to build a couple before I start cooking.

jb

pizzapan