Author Topic: Transporting  (Read 922 times)

Offline mastro

Transporting
« on: August 29, 2012, 12:52:28 AM »
I've been asked to make pizzas for a local team's season kick off party.  I anticipate making 50-75 pizzas.  I cook my pizzas on a grill.  I am looking for advice on storing and transporting the dough.  I have access to a commercial kitchen.  My plan was to make a couple large batches, do the first rise, form into individual balls (approx. 275 g or any other recommendation for about a 9" pizza).  The event is about 30 min. from the kitchen.  I was planning to rent a grill.

1.  Can anyone recommend a way to store and transport the dough balls to keep them fresh and easy to pull out and cook in mass quantities.

2.  Would you recommend I bake them for a few minutes in the morning (if so for how long), then finish them by grilling at the event?

3.  Similar to above, except grill in the morning, then re-grill at the event.

I'm not crazy about #2 or #3 as it doesn't seem as authentic which is what I think makes my pizzas delicious.

I previously did an event where I cooked 30 pizzas and I found by the end, the dough balls were flattening and sticking together.  I had 4 on a piece of parchment in a hotel pan and transported them in a cambro.

I am very much a rookie and would like to do more of these events for schools, groups etc, but do not have a lot of experience.  I began making pizzas in my backyard and they seem to be enjoyed by all. Thank you all, and I love this site.

Offline pabsey

Re: Transporting
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »
I wrap the balls in plastic bakery bags and cool them in a refrigerator, when i am ready to go to the event i stack them in a cooler. they keep plenty cool. i take them out of the cooler an hour or two before neede to let them warm up a bit.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »
...  I was planning to rent a grill....

What if the grill you rent sucks and doesn't get hot like the one you have been using?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline mastro

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
I wrap the balls in plastic bakery bags and cool them in a refrigerator, when i am ready to go to the event i stack them in a cooler. they keep plenty cool. i take them out of the cooler an hour or two before neede to let them warm up a bit.

do you have a source or link you recommend for the bakery bags?

Thank you.

Offline pabsey

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 04:33:30 AM »
i buy from sams club, pretty reasonable, about a thousand for 16bucks. i use the 8x6 poly bags for a 6oz dough ball.