Author Topic: Kenji likes the baking steel  (Read 27412 times)

buceriasdon

Re: Kenji likes the baking steel
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:39:06 PM »
Nice write up by Kenji. I do have to say we've been discussing the use of steel since 2010 but it's good to see Slice catching up. :angel:
Don

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »
Nice write up by Kenji. I do have to say we've been discussing the use of steel since 2010 but it's good to see Slice catching up. :angel:
Don

And yet not a single person here thought of marketing it. Sad.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:36:56 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out, Craig... (holds "L" on forehead)... thanks.  :'(
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:43:55 PM »
No personal opion here, but is Kenji Lopez Alt a guy or a girl?  I don't follow Slice mutch: but just wondering, not that it matters for a person with all the hoopla as a name.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

scott123

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
And yet not a single person here thought of marketing it. Sad.

And yet not a single person here thought of charging people three times the money for what they can get locally. Happy.

scott123

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:59:40 PM »
No personal opion here, but is Kenji Lopez Alt a guy or a girl?  I don't follow Slice mutch: but just wondering, not that it matters for a person with all the hoopla as a name.

Kenji is a guy.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:21:57 AM »
Scott:

In the comments, you upbraided Kenji for misleading his readers on a four minute bake time using the 1/4 inch steel, because he has a "freakishly hot oven."  What temp does he bake at, vs. the 550 we home plebes have to deal with?

scott123

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 12:36:57 AM »
Mike, I don't know what exact temp Kenji is baking at, but, I do know, from the results the members are getting here with 1/4" steel, that it's not 575 or lower.  I just took another look at his Reinhart inspired  ::) recipe

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/07/the-pizza-lab-three-doughs-to-know.html

and noticed that he's working with 2% sugar and 5% oil, both of which will encourage browning at lower temps, so maybe he might be close to 575, but I kind of doubt it.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 12:58:12 AM »
Scott:

I started to read Kenji's NY style recipe from the link you posted, and stopped at this line:

New York pizzas take between 12 and 15 minutes to bake.

???

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:07 AM »
Hells Bells, I live in TX, and know better than that, ??? ???
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

scott123

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 01:11:18 AM »
Scott:

I started to read Kenji's NY style recipe from the link you posted, and stopped at this line:

???

Yes. If you look at the comment section, I upbraided Kenji there as well. That interchange actually earned me the cyberstalker that initiated the whole Reinhart dialog. Thank you 11USCCH7!  ;D

Kenji and I have what you might call a generational disconnect when it comes to defining NY style.  For many younger New Yorkers, NY style is 12-15 minute McPizza.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 01:34:31 AM »
Yes. If you look at the comment section, I upbraided Kenji there as well.

I hadn't noticed your comments on that thread, as you were unusually tardy in getting in there.  I did notice that you didn't waste any time ripping into Andris Lagsdin, the purveyor of Baking Steel, in an earlier thread.  You don't take any prisoners, do you?   >:D

scott123

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 02:10:23 AM »
I hadn't noticed your comments on that thread, as you were unusually tardy in getting in there.  I did notice that you didn't waste any time ripping into Andris Lagsdin, the purveyor of Baking Steel, in an earlier thread.  You don't take any prisoners, do you?   >:D

Yes, I'm not too happy with Mr Lagsdin.  I can kind of understand Kenji not being entirely aware of our activities on this forum, but if you're going to sell a steel plate for baking pizza on, the LEAST you can do is google

steel plate pizza

and see what people have to say about it.

Regardless of how hard I was on him, it looks like some of what I said got through.  He's now offering a 1/2" thick version. Somehow I kind of doubt that I'll be seeing any cut of those proceeds.  ;D

At the end of the day, though, even if he's offering a better thickness of plate, if it's 4 times the price what people could be paying locally, it's still really scummy, imo.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 06:49:44 AM »
I'm the only person I know, aside from via this forum, who would repurpose random junk for cooking on.  For 90% of people, unless it came from a store, with directions, they would never think of using it.

Case in point:  while on a camping / diving trip, I was cooking burgers over the fire, and realized I forgot to bring onions.  I walked 10 steps away, picked some nice big chives, put them on a cutting board and sliced the bulbs up. My friends looked at me aghast.  "What the hell are you putting on the burgers?!" was the kindest comment I got. Seriously, I had to explain that chives were a kind of wild onion.  No one believed me - until they tried it.

Sure, baking steel bought in a store will be overpriced. Does that matter?  Same damn people buy Pampered Chef products and think they're stylin.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 06:53:30 AM »
Pampered Chef is some of the most over priced stuff out there. Not that it's not fair quality, but WOW, they sure got a spell on people!!

Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

scott123

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 07:41:54 AM »
Sure, baking steel bought in a store will be overpriced. Does that matter?  Same damn people buy Pampered Chef products and think they're stylin.

I don't really mind someone selling a raw commodity to consumers with a markup.  It's the size of the markup that I find offensive, though.  Retail baking stones are probably double the price of kiln shelves.  Doubling is reasonable. But quadrupling (or possibly even quintupling?).  That crosses a line.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 09:35:21 AM »
Question.  I am moving very soon,  and leaving my WFO behind,  at least for a few years as I am leasing out my house.  Obviously,  at times this will be very painful,  and cause serious cravings.  I am debating steel vs silicon carbide for my new electric oven.  I had read a while back about someone having a hard time finding a source for silicon carbide.  Are there trusted sources for both types of plate that people have had good luck with?  I just want to make sure whatever I select is as safe as possible,  and if it ends up being steel,  that it is not covered in metalworking residue.  Thanks -Marc

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »
John,  thanks,  I wasn't using the right search.  now the big question.  It looks like the SiC shelf price may have dropped,  Unless RN had included shipping in the 127 price.  I was expecting to see 127+ shipping.  Now the big question.  Electric oven,  convection option,  550 max temp,  no more information yet.  Steel or Silicon,  and why?  Thanks -Marc

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »
I'm thinking Scott123 will pipe in here on this with more info than I could give you, but I'm guessing he will lean towards the steel if you're okay with the weight.

Jon

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »
Scott will fully answer this I'm sure.  ;D

Summary:
Steel and SC are comparable in conductivity and thermal loading.
Steel is heavier.
SC is more expensive.
It's a choice between the health of your back and your budget, but either will work all right (for NY) in your new oven.

enter8

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »
Hey we can sit here all day taking criticising this Lagsdin guy but you can't knock him for trying to realise the steel sheet as a commercial product. Is it overpriced? may be. If that's true, then someone else will probably come along and make a cheaper one. Regardless, it's great that the idea is now out there and not just us pizza freaks  :-D

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 10:56:32 AM »
Hey we can sit here all day taking criticising this Lagsdin guy but you can't knock him for trying to realise the steel sheet as a commercial product. Is it overpriced? may be. If that's true, then someone else will probably come along and make a cheaper one. Regardless, it's great that the idea is now out there and not just us pizza freaks  :-D

+1
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 11:04:25 AM »
John,  thanks,  I wasn't using the right search.  now the big question.  It looks like the SiC shelf price may have dropped,  Unless RN had included shipping in the 127 price.  I was expecting to see 127+ shipping.  Now the big question.  Electric oven,  convection option,  550 max temp,  no more information yet.  Steel or Silicon,  and why?  Thanks -Marc

Marc:

I went through the same analysis (with much help from Scott), and ended up opting for 3/4" SiC... until I discovered that I couldn't source one in a size that would fit in my oven, and was big enough to bake a NY pie. The closest I could find is 16x16x5/8" which may or may not have the thermal mass required. Unlike cordierite, SiC can't easily be cut, so I ended up buying a 17.5x17.5x1/2" steel plate. It weighs in at a little over 40 lbs, and after a couple of attempts putting it into and removing it from the oven, I've found that my back just can't take it. It's just really awkward to try to move 40 lbs with my arms extended.

I see that you're in New Hampshire, so if you're planning on passing near New Haven, you can have my steel plate... cheap. On the other hand, if you do end up finding a 3/4" SiC shelf in a reasonable size for NY pizza, please post your source. You'll be a really popular guy.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

pizzapan