Author Topic: Members' Viewing Habits  (Read 2037 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Members' Viewing Habits
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »
I would normally post this in the Forum Info board but I have learned that posting in the Forum Info board usually dooms the post to starvation, that is, it gets very few page views. But, to help me as a Moderator, I would be interested in knowing more about our members' viewing habits. For example, are there any members who look at every new post, for example, by accessing them by clicking on the link Show unread posts since last visit? That can mean just scanning the new posts for possible interest, reading all of the posts for comprehension, or maybe a combination of scanning and reading. I know that there are some members who only read a favorite board, such as the Neapolitan board, and maybe delete the other posts by using the button labeled MARK ALL MESSAGES AS READ. There are also members who go to the main forum page to see the boards where new posts are highlighted, and then decide which of the posts to read. Some members look at the most recent posts (by clicking on the link View the most recent posts on the forum), which will show the 100 most recent posts and allow the member to select which ones to read. Many members use the forum's notification feature to identify which posts to read, possibly without reading any other posts.

Any other type of viewing habit is also of interest to me.

Once this thread has run its course, I will move it to the Forum Info board.

Thanks.

Peter

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Members' Viewing Habits
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
I'll come on and look at all the slices on the left hand side. If it's lit up then I'll enter into that forum/sub-forum/sub-sub-forum. So most of the time I go into almost all forums, scan/read all new posts and see what catches my eye.

There are a few that I don't go in or I don't think I have ever been in, ie. American, Cracker, Thick, California, and Gluten Free.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »
I use "show unread posts since last visit".

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »

+1

I read everything I can. Sometimes things posted unrelated to my interests give me a more complete understanding of pizza in general.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:49:28 AM by weemis »
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »

Steve and Nick,

Do you scan/read all unread posts or only selectively?

Peter

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:50:41 AM »
My viewing habits depend on how much time I have.

I usually start by clicking "Show new replies to your posts" to see if there has been any activity in the discussions that I have been part of.

If after doing that, if I still have time, I click on "Show unread posts since last visit." I usually just scan through the thread titles to see if there is anything that might interest me. I must admit that I sometimes miss topics that I would be interested in. Usually this happens when the OP didn't choose a good title for the thread. I sometimes will pick up on these when I notice that a particular thread is popular that I haven't read.

When I'm looking for particular information on a topic I obviously start with a forum search. Peter, one thing that I sometimes do to find the proverbial needle in the haystack of archival information that this forum has, is to do an advanced search and put your username in the "by user" field. This will often find one of your very detailed posts that has links to just about every other relevant thread. This saves me from going through a bunch of hits that might not actually be relevant. Your contribution to this forum is amazing.

Sometimes when I'm bored I will click on the Users Online link and look at what everyone else is reading. Sometimes I catch a thread that is the "hot topic" that I may have missed.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline slybarman

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:52:19 AM »
Steve and Nick,

Do you scan/read all unread posts or only selectively?

Peter

I scan the list and selectively read those that sound like they might interest me.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
Peter,

I do look at every post here on the forum, but sometimes I only scan read new posts to see if I might want to read them in depth.  I get email notification from any thread I have clicked the notify box.  I do click on show unread posts since last visit each time. 

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:17:18 PM »
Peter,

I do look at every post here on the forum, but sometimes I only scan read new posts to see if I might want to read them in depth.  I get email notification from any thread I have clicked the notify box.  I do click on show unread posts since last visit each time. 

Norma,

Do you do that every day, day in and day out?

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 12:30:46 PM »
Norma,

Do you do that every day, day in and day out?

Peter

Peter,

Yes I do, unless I am away on vacation, or away for a day.  If I am away I will look at every post in a few days.  If you look at how many hours I have spent here on the forum, in the amount of time it has been since I have become a member, you or other members can see I do spend a fairly large amount of time here.

Norma

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 12:44:02 PM »
Like Don, my viewing depends on how much time I have and my habits seem to mirror his. Sometimes, if I only have a couple of minutes (or am just taking a break like now), I don't sign in and just scan the topics on the main board and then decide what I want to read later (or extend the break... more and more frequently these days). Because of that, I probably only sign in for less than 10 percent of the time I spend on the forum.

When I do sign in, often it is because I have received an email that shows that new replies have been posted to topics that I have asked to be notified about (or that there's a PM waiting for me). Other times, I just have more time, want to check out more recent posts, and will click on "Show unread posts since last visit".

Hope that helps.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 01:01:16 PM »
For example, are there any members who look at every new post, for example, by accessing them by clicking on the link Show unread posts since last visit?

I don't think I've ever clicked on that link.

I used to click on the 'Show new replies to your posts' link pretty regularly, but I rarely do it anymore, probably because I've been so active (reading and posting) the last two or three months. Lately I tend to look at the main page, with all the pizza slices dimmed out, wondering why there are no new posts anywhere. (Except for the California Style boards. There's a neverending stream of new posts for California Style.)

I never mark all messages read, but sometimes I click on a link to an active board that doesn't interest me, just to make the "new" indicator disappear.

Some members look at the most recent posts (by clicking on the link View the most recent posts on the forum)

I've only done that a couple times.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »

I don't read everything but skim through and read what interests me.

If I have been posting I sometimes use the "show replies to your posts" but not always.

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:11 PM »
Click the link in my status bar to get here, then, "Show new replies to your posts.", read, comment then, "Show unread posts since last visit.", scan, read if interested, then off till the next time.  I try to check daily.  Often, I log in, read some, remember to make pizza dough and take a break and make a few pizzas worth in the dough station.  If I need recipes, I'll check here but usually use PMQ and Pizza Today.  Unless Norma made the recipe, then I'll try it.  Love ya Norma....

Ron

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »

Unless Norma made the recipe, then I'll try it.  Love ya Norma....

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for posting what you did and I love you too  :-*, but some of my pizzas are flops, or nearly flops.   :-D  It is amazing how many members here on the forum share what they do so we all can make better pizzas.  That is what I really like about this forum, and why I look at all the posts.  I don't work a full-time job either, so I have more time than some members to look what is going on.

Norma

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 07:10:13 PM »
99% of the time is use Show unread posts since last visit and skim the topics to see what I want to read more. When I had a bit more time I would still use the unread post since last visit, but would skim most threads.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »
I scan "show unread posts since last visit". I read those of interest and introductions of new members. I don't know if there is a "welcoming committee" but if there have been no replys to new members I like to at least welcome them. Being a newby here I read a lot of threads daily.
Thanks for asking.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
I check the site many times a day / evening.  I'm always logged in, and I always start at the main index.  I go by the slice icon telling me if there are new posts in the categories that I care about.  The sections that interest me the most, like Neapolitan and Hearth Ovens, I read everything that's posted unless it's proven to be either so technical that I'm not interested (some of the build threads) or contentious (when the boys are having a pissing contest and that doesn't interest me).  I also check the equipment and ingredients boards, New York, General, Chitchat, News, Reviews, etc pretty often but don't read every thread in those, and the rare occasions that there are posts on Dessert, Specialty Grains or Monthly Challenge, I'll always read those.  I don't ever check the boards that hold no interest for me, like Chicago, American, Cracker, Thick, etc, and I just leave the slice icon up on those, because I don't bother to mark stuff read if I don't care about the category.  So I guess the most important navigational tool for me is the slice icon telling me which categories/threads have new posts, and then being able to click "last unread" to be able to start where the new posts do. 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »
I don't know if there is a "welcoming committee" but if there have been no replys to new members I like to at least welcome them.

Mark,

There is no official welcoming committee. Some members do as you do and welcome some of the new members, but the reality is that a very small percent of new members make it from their introductory posts onto the main part of the forum. So, the majority of welcoming posts go unrequited.

Peter

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »
I generally click Show unread posts since last visit. I skim them all and read the ones that sound interesting. I generally read everything posted in Off Topic Foods, New York Style, Neapolitan Style, and Starters/Sponges. Every now and then I reset things with the Mark everything as read button.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan