Author Topic: Help with oven finish  (Read 996 times)

Offline Bob1

Help with oven finish
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »
I am installing a Casa90. It is sitting on a stand that is too small for the insulation that I want to do.  I did not feel like laying the block, plus it can be moved later.  I have a double layer of the 2" FB board, and extra inch of blanket.  I plan on loading a few inches of 10 to 1 perlite/cement on the top.  It is on an over sized pad so I plan on studding it out next year and finishing it with a roof similar to what Ev did, his looked nice.  The front base is 5" out from the FB board and the hearth floor is 6 inches up from the base.  I would like to just get it ready for rough use until next year but in such a way that I can complete it properly.  I plan on having a 18" wide/ approx 6' long strip of granite across the face butted up to the hearth floor and installing an arch on top of that.  Anyone have a suggestion on how I can get it water tight and ready for rough use.  I was thinking of pouring some concrete 5"x5"x stand width, and then mortaring an FB arch to the front face of the oven mouth.  Any ideas would be appreciated, and please do not beat me up on the temp job.  I just do not have the time to complete it properly.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Help with oven finish
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »
Bob1, you may find some answers here : http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20117.0.html

None of my particular business, but is the FB forum not giving you the answers you are needing?  Either way, we have at least 2 "expert" builders here.  Hopefully they will help you out when they get time.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
A tarp?

I am not sure of your question, do you have an overall pic?

Offline Bob1

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »
Jet Deck,
Thanks, I will read through that tomorrow.  As far as Forno Bravo goes I tried to search for a few answers but have never posted.  It might be me but it did not seem that their site has the quality that this one has, however I do see some people that cross over on both.  I was hoping that some one like Tscarborough might have a quick fix for me.  I am just looking for a quick temp patch for the front that I can easily rip off later.  I would think an actual mason could have some quick advice.  

Offline Bob1

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »
Tscarborough,
You posted as I was typing.  Yes, I use a tarp now during construction.  I feel I can complete the oven as per other postings when I have time to order the granite and build the brick arch.  I just wanted to do a temporary / semi permanent face on what is in the picture now.  "Face" being the front of the beehive as it attaches to the coated chicken wire  .  Something easy that will seal it from the rain but will be easy to remove next spring.  I hope that makes it a little more clear. 

For instance when I used to prep door bucks in block construction for security contacts I would put a piece of styrafoam were the contacts and chase would be.  When I came back I would drill the hole in the steel door buck and hit it with a torch.  Bam, instant recessed access and install after the styrafoam vaporizes.  I doubt that is what I should do on something as hot as the front face would be, but it would have been nice if it would of worked.   

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:46 PM »
If you want it removable but semi-permanent, maybe 1/4" hardi backer with the joints taped and a skim coat of stucco over all.  It would be more or less waterproof and would be removable without destroying the chicken wire and blankets.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 07:54:39 AM »
Sounds easy.  Will it be OK to mortar Hardi directly to the front of the oven were the brick arch will eventually attach?  If that is the case I will not even have to rip anything out later.  It would be easy enough to loose less than an inch between the Hardi/mortar joints and the new arch later on.  I will just run the hardi to 1/2" from the inside lip of the opening so there is mortar on the exposed opening.   I assume the only thing I would need to do is use refractory cement to attach the Hardi to the oven face.   

pizzapan