Author Topic: sauce set up  (Read 2093 times)

Offline bucket77

• I Love Pizza!
sauce set up
« on: November 02, 2005, 04:55:28 PM »
I am making my fourth attempt at the Chicago style this weekend.  I have been able to get the crust down, but I am struggling with the sauce.  Everytime I have attempted it the sauce never sets-up and just runs everywhere when you slice into it. I have used crushed canned tomatoes and then attempted with canned whole tomatoes.  Any suggestions.    Thanks!

Offline marceld

• Supporting Member
Reduce by heating your sauce for set up
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 10:48:58 PM »

(M) This may be "The Blind Leading The Blind" as I am also a Newbie. I know nothing of dough but I can tell you that if you simmer your sauce on a low heat you will boil off the extra water and the sauce will thicken.

Ciao,

Marcel
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...... but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: sauce set up
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 01:24:17 AM »
Marcel, this is a great suggestion. 

Bucket 77, There are also two other methods you could try.   These will give you more of a "fresh" taste.  That is not to say that they are better just different.  You should try all three and see what suits your palate the best.   The first is to simply thicken your sauce with paste.  The second is to try straining your tomatoes with a fine mesh strainer.  If you are using whole canned tomatoes I would suggest straining them after they are crushed, as the inside of the tomatoes often hold quite a bit of water.

I believe the preferred tomato of many people here on the forum for Chicago style is a product called 6in1 sold at Escalon.net .  You might need to thicken these slightly with paste, but they will be pretty close to what you want as is.  Another very similar version of this product is 7/11 sold by Stanislaus.  This will be tricky to find unless you can find a wholesaler in your area that is willing to sell you a case, as I don't think they sell their products at the retail level.

Offline bucket77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 09:06:07 AM »
Thanks guys!  I will give it another try this weekend and update you on how it goes.

Offline buzz

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 09:28:42 AM »
If you use canned whole peeled tomatoes, drain the juice, then crush them by hand in a colander (more juice will run out). You will get a fairly dry pulpy mass. For crushed tomatoes, look for either "ground tomatoes" (a la 6-in-1) or crushed tomatoes in heavy puree. Either of these should not be runny at all. I've tried Progresso and Contadina crushed tomatoes and found them very good for supermarket brands (although for my taste they need a bit more suagr than 6-in1's).

Offline bucket77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 12:38:30 PM »
I just wanted to say thanks for the tips on the sauce.  The pizza turned out great, with the sauce completely set-up!  Thanks again and I hope to have some photo's posted in the next day or so.

Offline dkipta

• 65 Econoline
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »
Made one two days ago!   Use 2 cans of diced Roma tomatoes and let them strain in a colander overnight.  Then mix with seasoning and 1 can of thick puree and refriderate.   The next day, any excess water will rise to the top.  Just spoon off the extra water and whats left is reallllllllll   thick!

Dave

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 04:46:45 PM »
I second Buzz on draining the tomatoes.

A good double fine strainer, OXO for me, will yield clear water from 6 in 1.  From Chicago, all the sauces I have had has had a biting fresh taste.  I wouldn't recommend heating the sauce, the oven will take care of that part.  For a chunky puree, 6 in 1 is the best, or whole plum tomatoes torn up by hand in a colander will do.  Chicago style for me is a dry, greasy crust, and sauce as thick as peanut butter.