Author Topic: What is the attraction of calling things pizza?  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Giggliato

Re: What is the attraction of calling things pizza?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
I'm a bit of a purist but if the bread has some cheese it's a pizza. You can switch out the cheese for anything you like.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »
So French bread pizza is not really pizza after all?  :-\. I grew up on it and though I haven't made it in awhile, I would still enjoy it.   And those Totonno's thingys you get from the frozen section.   Not pizza ether? :'(

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
So French bread pizza is not really pizza after all? 

I don't know. Is it? If it is, would an open faced grilled cheese with a slice of tomato on wonder bread be pizza too?
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »
I don't care what they call it. If it's on one of the breads I've seen either of you 2 make....I'd be all over it!   ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »
I don't know. Is it? If it is, would an open faced grilled cheese with a slice of tomato on wonder bread be pizza too?

Definitely not.  It is a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato.  Way different than French bread pizza.  The French bread would be the only portion in question.  But does it disqualify it as pizza?  I mean you still have the sauce, cheese, toppings.  The French bread if it's a good one would make a better crust than most crappy crusts you find out there anyway.  

Let me ask you this Craig.  Do you consider chain pizza real pizza?  What about Chicago style or Sicillian?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »
Definitely not.  It is a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato.  Way different than French bread pizza.  The French bread would be the only portion in question.  But does it disqualify it as pizza?  I mean you still have the sauce, cheese, toppings.  The French bread if it's a good one would make a better crust than most crappy crusts you find out there anyway.   

OK, fair enough. What if the bread wasn’t French bread but rather a piece of Wonder bread?

Let me ask you this Craig.  Do you consider chain pizza real pizza?  What about Chicago style or Sicillian?

Yes, and I was intentionally careful not to use the word “real.” I was just asking the question why people like to call so many things pizza – like making a flat cheesecake and calling it a pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

buceriasdon

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 11:05:11 AM »
For every google search I got a minimum of five pages of results before repeats. Bagel pizza, English muffin pizza and French bread pizza. I think the inclusion of the word "pizza" tells people it will have a tomato sauce and cheese with perhaps other toppings, hence it's usage. Right or wrong it is a descriptive word.
Don

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 11:12:35 AM »
I think the inclusion of the word "pizza" tells people it will have a tomato sauce and cheese with perhaps other toppings, hence it's usage. Right or wrong it is a descriptive word.

It must also be a way of saying that something not otherwise flat has now been made flat.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »
Craig, you're right.  I know what u meant.  I was teasing a bit.  But wonder bread?  That's a tough one bc I use to make those as well as a kid.   :P. As long as its close enough and evokes happy feelings while I eat it, I'm ok calling it pizza.

What about the dessert pizzas some of us make here.  Still pizza or just dessert?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 11:31:01 AM »
What about the dessert pizzas some of us make here.  Still pizza or just dessert?

Like you said, if its close enough and evokes happy feelings, who am I to say no?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »
It's like there are two categories of PIZZA FOOD:  pizza FLAVOR stuff, which is where you find french bread pizza and tortilla pizza and english muffin pizza and the rest - what makes them pizza is the flavor combo of tomato/cheese/whatever.  Then there are pizza APPEARANCE things, which is where the cheesecake pizza and cookie-cakes and whatever exist.  And then there's what we talk about on PM, which is what counts  ;D  Goodness knows, we're the only ones that care about this stuff  :-D

On a side note, speaking of french bread pizza, for me the difference is:  was the base already baked before toppings added or not?  If the toppings were added on the french bread dough and then it was baked, it's pizza.  If topping were added after the bread was baked, it's an open-face sandwich. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »
It's like there are two categories of PIZZA FOOD:  pizza FLAVOR stuff, which is where you find french bread pizza and tortilla pizza and english muffin pizza and the rest - what makes them pizza is the flavor combo of tomato/cheese/whatever.  Then there are pizza APPEARANCE things, which is where the cheesecake pizza and cookie-cakes and whatever exist.  And then there's what we talk about on PM, which is what counts  ;D  Goodness knows, we're the only ones that care about this stuff  :-D

Is it fair to say that what we would typically call pizza here - at least down to desert pizza - is the intersection of these two sets? If it looks like pizza and tastes like pizza, it's pizza?  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 10:53:07 PM »
I'm sticking with my new definition:  if the base was uncooked dough with toppings then baked, it's pizza.  If not, no.  But that's just MY definition - what makes this a fun topic is, what's YOUR definition? 

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »
Oh, and in answer to a question asked above, about fast food/chain pizza:  so by my definition, yes it's pizza.  The issue for me is, it's not food  :P  Aren't we lucky to be able to have this debate, instead of worrying where our next meal will come from? 

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »
Oh, and in answer to a question asked above, about fast food/chain pizza:  so by my definition, yes it's pizza.  The issue for me is, it's not food  :P  Aren't we lucky to be able to have this debate, instead of worrying where our next meal will come from? 

Sadly, I agree.  There's so many people who wonder about that.  That was the big reason I learned to cook when I was 9.  These days I can make a decent meal out of just about anything.   But there are so many who would starve without fast food.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
I'm sticking with my new definition:  if the base was uncooked dough with toppings then baked, it's pizza.  If not, no. 

So what if looked like a regular American pepperoni pizza but it was baked on a pre-baked crust? You might not even know the difference when you were eating it. 10's of thousands of places out there make pizza on pre/par-baked crusts.
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 11:24:25 PM »
But that's just MY definition - what makes this a fun topic is, what's YOUR definition?  

;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »
^ That is the quintessential definition of pizza!
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2012, 12:14:39 AM »
This takes the hunger pangs away.... ;D
'lil something I like to refer to as ...pizza.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
Saw this today on Seriouseats.com  Kinda rings true everything that was said on this thread again. Looks pretty gross to me.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/09/pepperidge-farm-mummy-pastry-pizza-puff-recipe.html

More is better..... and too much is just right.

pizzapan