Author Topic: Sriracha Salt in Pizza Dough: by Brad English on Pizza Quest  (Read 2737 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Sriracha Salt in Pizza Dough: by Brad English on Pizza Quest
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:37:35 AM »
Brad English on Peter Reinhartís Pizza Quest tried a pizza dough one time with Sriracha salt. 

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/405-sriracha-dough.html

I had posted how to make Sriracha Salt at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20076.0.html

I might have to experiment with some Sriracha Salt to replace salt in pizza dough sometime. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Sriracha Salt in Pizza Dough: by Brad English on Pizza Quest
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:55:33 AM »
Thanks for those links, Norma. I like sriracha salt (I make mine with garlic sriracha) on some pizzas, but not sure I understand why you'd put it in the dough. Why not just sprinkle some on the dough before or after baking or mix into one of the toppings?

Offline rodinbangkok

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »
If you think what your using is SriRacha when you buy the stuff with the chicken on the label think again:
http://cheapappetite.com/2009/12/13/kamiya-sriracha/
It gets me and a lot of folks upset....sorta like saying we sell Wisconsin cheese...made in Thailand.  When you get a chance try the real thing.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:20:28 AM »
I like sriracha salt (I make mine with garlic sriracha) on some pizzas, but not sure I understand why you'd put it in the dough. Why not just sprinkle some on the dough before or after baking or mix into one of the toppings?

Bill,

I donít think I have seen garlic sriracha sauce in my area, but will have to look more.  The garlic siracha sauce even sounds better. 

Your idea is good to sprinkle the sriracha salt on the dough or mix it into one of the topping.  I did mix sriracha sauce in with Craigís Johnsville sausage method and really liked those results.

Since I am an experimenter, I might have to see what siracha salt does in dough. 

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
I don't know why they would add the intermediate step. If you want the flavor in the dough, why not add sriracha directly to the dough?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
Bill,

I donít think I have seen garlic sriracha sauce in my area, but will have to look more.  The garlic siracha sauce even sounds better. 

I don't think I have either. The one I use had garlic as an ingredient, but it is not called garlic sriracha. I have chili garlic sauce from the same maker, but it is quite a bit different.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »
I don't know why they would add the intermediate step. If you want the flavor in the dough, why not add sriracha directly to the dough?

Craig,

Would you ever consider trying to add Sriracha Salt to a Neapolitan dough?  I wonder how that would change, or not change, the starter and how the dough ferments at controlled temperatures.

I might be going to Steve home this week and might try adding Sriacha salt to Pizzeria flour with the Ischia starter for one dough ball.   .

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »
rodin, I understand your frustration but the bottom line is Huy Fong Foods registered the name Sriracha, others had the same chance but didn't. Any reading at all on the product and it clearly states so on the bottle it's made in the USA. Therefore it was created for American tastes and it outsells all other "authentic" Thai sauces combined. It was voted Best Ingredient of the year by Bon Appetit's magazine in 2010. I have found Shark brand here in Mexico and in all honestly, for my tastes and what I like to cook I'll take Rooster Brand over the runny "authentic" brand. In a strange twist, Rooster Sauce is also now produced here in Mexico but the bottle has a shark on it, not the rooster. Ironic...but I think the irony is lost on others.
Don
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:33:17 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »
IIRC, the brand I use is "Shark"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »
IIRC, the brand I use is "Shark"

Thanks Bill.  :) I have looked at the Green Store near me and they don't carry that brand.  I will have to look in some Asian stores.

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »
Norma, I do recommend trying out Shark brand, you may find it suits your taste buds better than Rooster. Don't know until you try. I tried both awhile back in a comparison test for baked Sriracha chicken wings and myself and my taste testers liked both, but the Rooster sauce better, but I didn't change amounts in the sauces and Rooster is the stronger of the two.
Don

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
Thanks Bill.  :) I have looked at the Green Store near me and they don't carry that brand.  I will have to look in some Asian stores.

Norma

Norma,

I used the last of my Shark supply for some salt so I can't tell you the exact product. I'll shoot a photo of the label once I buy more. The Asian store I frequent has dozens of different brands and varieties, many with sketchy English descriptions or ingredient lists.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »
Norma, I do recommend trying out Shark brand, you may find it suits your taste buds better than Rooster. Don't know until you try. I tried both awhile back in a comparison test for baked Sriracha chicken wings and myself and my taste testers liked both, but the Rooster sauce better, but I didn't change amounts in the sauces and Rooster is the stronger of the two.
Don

Norma,

I used the last of my Shark supply for some salt so I can't tell you the exact product. I'll shoot a photo of the label once I buy more. The Asian store I frequent has dozens of different brands and varieties, many with sketchy English descriptions or ingredient lists.

Don and Bill,

This is the only Asian food market I know about in my area and they donít have a website.  http://www.yelp.com/biz/viet-my-oriental-food-market-lancaster  I havenít been to that Viet My Oriental Food Market for a long while, but will check them out soon for the Shark sauce. 

Thanks Don for your post that you did a comparison with the Shark brand with Sriracha chicken wings and you and your taste tester liked them both, but found the Rooster sauce better.

Bill, Thanks for saying you will post a picture of the Shark label once you purchase some more.

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »
Norma, Interesting taste off of different brands. The label for Shark brand is the one with the chili on the lable. Also notice the obvious rip off with the double chicken. Funny.
http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/07/sriracha-chile-hot-sauce-taste-off.html

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »
Craig,

Would you ever consider trying to add Sriracha Salt to a Neapolitan dough? 

No. I don't like flavored crusts.

I put a lot of time and effort into getting the culture flavors I want in my dough. I can't imagine adding an overpowering flavor to it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »
Norma, Interesting taste off of different brands. The label for Shark brand is the one with the chili on the lable. Also notice the obvious rip off with the double chicken. Funny.
http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/07/sriracha-chile-hot-sauce-taste-off.html

Don,

I see the label for the Shark brand of Sriracha is the one with the chili on the label from your link.  I noted the obvious rip off with the double chicken.  That was funny. :-D  I guess none of them are really bad though.  :-\

Did you ever try the Sriracha Chile Sauce Recipe on the next page of the link you posted?

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/07/homemade-thai-style-sriracha-chile-sauce-recipe-tuong-ot-sriracha.html

Thanks for your help!  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »
No. I don't like flavored crusts.

I put a lot of time and effort into getting the culture flavors I want in my dough. I can't imagine adding an overpowering flavor to it.

Craig,

I can understand you put a lot of time and effort into getting the culture flavors you want in your dough.  You are a perfectionist which is great.  :)

I just dabble in everything, and guess it doesn't get me anywhere.   ::)

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
Norma, No, I've seen a number of different recipes online, and that does look like a good one, but just haven't bothered to make my own Sriracha.
Don

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »

Bill, Thanks for saying you will post a picture of the Shark label once you purchase some more.

Norma

Norma,

Here is what I usually buy; I like it, but I'm no expert.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »
Norma,

Here is what I usually buy; I like it, but I'm no expert.

Bill,

Thanks for posting a close-up picture of the ingredients.  :) The ingredients sounds tasty to me.  I am no expert either, but if I can find the Shark brand I will try it.

I did put Sriracha sauce in pizzeria flour dough yesterday.   :-D

Norma

pizzapan