Author Topic: The guy who survived on pizza for 25 years...  (Read 207 times)

Offline AnonymousPizza

• I Am Pizza!
The guy who survived on pizza for 25 years...
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:04:09 AM »
Is the title of this video. I feel like you may have all seen this before. But here. Take it! Watch!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8V1EZNI8A" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8V1EZNI8A</a>
I've come back for you, to remind you of something. Something you once knew.
That this world is not real.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
Re: The guy who survived on pizza for 25 years...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:50:36 AM »
A 40 year old man child with diabetes who refuses to eat vegetables and takes blood sugar levels at a restaurant table.... what an inspiration.
Josh

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »
takes blood sugar levels at a restaurant table....

Josh, you struck a chord here. I admitt that I could not sit through the 16 min video of a guy who eats frozen food called pizza.
I am however an insulin dependant diabetic and have been for probably 30 years.
I use two types of insulin, one is long acting that I take morning and night. The other is very short acting that I take before every meal and sometimes in between meals. The effects of the insulin come on rapidly for me, 10-15 min. If I go to a restaurant and don't know what I will order, I better wait till I do order before giving my insulin dose. I have been to restaurants and given my insulin in the car before I went in only to find that they are really backed up and it will be 30-45 min or so before I get served. Now I have to scramble to find sugar, cause low blood sugan is a bummer. Oh and I check my blood sugar with a meter EVERY time before injecting.
Bottom line, I almost always give my self injections at the table when I go out. I do try to conceal it under the table and some times go to the restroom but it is not uncommon.

Have no idea about the guy in the video, but there are thousands of insulin dependant diabetics who have to do what they have to do.

Hope this sheds some light!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »
Mark, I know nothing of what it means to be a diabetic, and I apologize if I struck a chord with you. It's obviously a major inconvenience to be diabetic, and I respect that. I do not take back what I say though, because an individual's health struggles do not exempt them from personal responsibility. I for one would prefer blood be nowhere near a restaurant table I am sitting at. I think you agree with me since you make an effort to conceal it and/or go to the restroom when testing your own blood sugar levels.

If you watch the video starting at 4:13, you see how careless he is with his testing procedure. Sorry but I'm not okay with that.
Josh

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »
I've never seen anyone with diabetes inject themself through clothing and I have a few friends/colleagues that have T1 or T2.  Is that common? Is that even safe, much less sanitary? I thought most hypodermic needles used for insulin were very thin gauge? Would he not run the risk of breaking off the needle in his leg/arm/etc. by going through clothing?  I watched the whole video. I wonder if he ever ate something that threw his blood sugar way out of alignment and he just eats pizza all the time thinking "I know exactly whats in this - so that won't happen again."  Also, what was the story about the 'grease bucket' is he eating a bunch of fried food too? Thanks AnonymousPizza - that was interesting.
Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »
Josh, I wonder if he wasn't being filmed what he public persona would be. I work in the medical field and no, he is not following sterile or clean practices when injecting or even testing. I would venture to say that the greatest risk to injecting through the clothing is getting blood stains on the inside of the clothes. Needles breaking off in the skin I would bet are rare. Nothing is 100%. His attitude is a bit cavalier.

If you want further insight about this medical practice we can do it through PM. I apologize for even extending this subject in this forum.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline DeanS

• Pizza Esistenzialista
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »
I apologize for even extending this subject in this forum.

Mark

Don't be sorry. You've shed light on the topic for me at least.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:53:27 PM »
The guy could definitely benefit from this site.  He must be spending thousand on frozen and fresh pizza a year.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan