Author Topic: What are you drinking right now?  (Read 96118 times)

Offline kdefay

Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #1500 on: February 06, 2013, 11:11:25 PM »
Beer Lao Dark...It's the best beer produced in SE Asia in my opinion.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #1501 on: February 07, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »
I'm getting to the point where picking my top 5 IPA's is pretty much impossible though. There are so many good ones out there now.

It's particularly difficult now that DIPAs (Double IPAs, which Lagunitas Sucks is) are so broadly available.....between IPAs and Barley Wine on the ladder.

Some of these types of beers need more balance IMO.....I can go out to my backyard in the summer and eat a handful of fresh hops off of my vine if I want that effect.

Fortunately, Sucks has a better degree of hop-malt balance than many DIPAs. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1502 on: February 07, 2013, 04:22:28 PM »
How did that bottle of 2006 Isole e Olena Cepparello work out the other night Kelly? I researched that one and it sounded pretty good for something you don't have to get a HELOC to be able to splurge on.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1503 on: February 07, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »
Ethiopia-Gera from the La Colombe Workshop: http://shop.lacolombe.com/collections/workshop/products/ethiopia-gera

I have always been fond of Ethiopian coffees, and this one didn't disappoint either.

This time, I did a search for La Colombe discount coupons and found a code that knocked 10% off of the the toal price of the coffees I purchased.

Peter

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #1504 on: February 07, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »
How did that bottle of 2006 Isole e Olena Cepparello work out the other night Kelly? I researched that one and it sounded pretty good for something you don't have to get a HELOC to be able to splurge on.

It may need another 2 to 3 years before really showing better, a little closed on the nose and on the palate, but with some aeration it's delicious right now. Opens up to a bright delivery of bing cherries with some violets before fading into darker anise, dark berry and perhaps some graphite (definitely a minerally, metallic note my wife and I couldn't quite pin down) flavors. Nice body and tears nicely on the glass. I like Sangiovese based wines (Cepparello is 100% Sangiovese) when they start developing a little more of the leathery and earthy notes as time progresses. This needs a little more time for that to develop.

Cepparello is generally a very dependable wine from vintage to vintage. I was not familiar with the wine until I visited the winery while staying in Castellina in Chianti several years ago and enjoyed it very much (and for a lot cheaper) while there. I by a bottle of it from time to time. I'm a huge fan of Sangiovese and this wine is a good vehicle for showcasing what is possible for the grape when grown under the right conditions and care.

I've been revisiting the Chianto Classico region and rekindling my fire for the wines of that area. I'd very much like to go back in person one day and also tour the Maremma more extensively, but it is a big world and so many other interesting places to see, like Southeast Asia, which ain't gonna happen anytime soon!  :) --K

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1505 on: February 07, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »
It's particularly difficult now that DIPAs (Double IPAs, which Lagunitas Sucks is) are so broadly available.....between IPAs and Barley Wine on the ladder.

Some of these types of beers need more balance IMO.....I can go out to my backyard in the summer and eat a handful of fresh hops off of my vine if I want that effect.

Fortunately, Sucks has a better degree of hop-malt balance than many DIPAs. --K
I agree with you to a certain extent, however...To me, it's not an IPA if it's balanced. An IPA should lean to the hop side of the malt/hop scale. That being said, making a great IIPA is more complicated than just uber hopping it though.

Personally, I like many of the "West Coast" style IPA's that are usually aggressively hopped with American hops and definitely less malty.

The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1506 on: February 07, 2013, 05:09:22 PM »
Ethiopia-Gera from the La Colombe Workshop: http://shop.lacolombe.com/collections/workshop/products/ethiopia-gera

I have always been fond of Ethiopian coffees, and this one didn't disappoint either.

This time, I did a search for La Colombe discount coupons and found a code that knocked 10% off of the the toal price of the coffees I purchased.

Peter
fwiw, I have a Firefox add-on  that gives an alert/link any time you are on a page where some sort of coupon or deal may be available. Pretty cool. It's not a pop-up itself..just a small alert light that is on my toolbar.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:11:29 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #1507 on: February 07, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »
I agree with you to a certain extent, however...To me, it's not an IPA if it's balanced. An IPA should lean to the hop side of the malt/hop scale. That being said, making a great IIPA is more complicated than just uber hopping it though.

Personally, I like many of the "West Coast" style IPA's that are usually aggressively hopped with American hops and definitely less malty.

You hit the nail on the head. It ain't an IPA if it is balanced and it should lean to the hop side.

But it seems some of the more recent monster DIPAs have gone overboard and said screw any semblence of malt note.....the hops just obliterate everthing else. And given that the American hops are more assertive on the palate than the more subdued British and Euro-Continental varieties, it just amps things up even more.

I think a really good sweet spot between big American hop delivery with a touch a malt to reign things in slightly are exemplified by Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Russian River Pliny the Elder, among others. I think the interesting hop flavors in Sculpin are absolutely top notch...I'd drink it more often if it wasn't $14.99 a six pack. Ouch! --K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1508 on: February 08, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
Spinach, carrot, parsley, strawberry, blueberry, flax seed, pumpkin seed, and almond smoothie.

It tastes pretty darn good. I'm not sure if that means I'm starting to get used to it or my taste buds are disintegrating...
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #1509 on: February 08, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »
Spinach, carrot, parsley, strawberry, blueberry, flax seed, pumpkin seed, and almond smoothie.

It tastes pretty darn good. I'm not sure if that means I'm starting to get used to it or my taste buds are disintegrating...

I got healthier just reading it! It actually sounds pretty good, and I bet the nuts/seeds gave it decent body.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #1510 on: February 10, 2013, 01:54:54 PM »
I don't always drink beer but...after a long morning of making pasta this "very limited edition" from New Glarus really hit the spot.  :D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1511 on: February 10, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »

Shiner Czech-style pilsner, pretty tasty.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #1512 on: February 10, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »
I'm drinking a bunch of water.  I just biked 20 miles.  LOL

Maybe a homebrew tonight!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #1513 on: February 10, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »
Some black ass strong coffee with a little cream and brandy to put me in the mood and a bit of wake me up to study the 300 page PALS course book for the upcoming 2 day PALS class. I hate refresher classes but it's a good and necessary class to take >:( :P

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #1514 on: February 10, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
A spicy homemade Bloody Mary with a beer chaser.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1515 on: February 10, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »
A quadruple espresso with a shot of Irish whiskey.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1516 on: February 10, 2013, 04:58:53 PM »
A quadruple espresso with a shot of Irish whiskey.

Craig,

Does this mean that you are finished with your dieting :-D?

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1517 on: February 10, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »
Craig,

Does this mean that you are finished with your dieting :-D?

Peter

Unfortunately no. My target is mid-April. I needed a little break though. I also made DS yesterday (will post pics next week when i get some time), so next week I'll have to re-boot the diet.

CL

Offline Ev

« Reply #1518 on: February 10, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »
Home brewed pale ale.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1519 on: February 10, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
Looks like you get your glasses very clean.

pizzapan