Author Topic: What are you drinking right now?  (Read 129912 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
What, do you pretend you are a guest and sneak in for a couple cups in the morning?
Yes....free Wi-Fi too and their lobby feels real homey like.   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slybarman

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2012, 01:23:31 PM »
Cuban espresso

edit: clarification - Cuban espresso is a method of preparation not a type of coffee bean.

Are you talking cafe cubano? Are you making it in a stove top moka, or pulling shots on an espresso machine with some sugar in the porta?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
Are you talking cafe cubano? Are you making it in a stove top moka, or pulling shots on an espresso machine with some sugar in the porta?

Yes, cafe cubano - I have a Jura. I put some demerara in the bottom of the cup.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »
Most Cubans use the moka pot and pour the first bit of coffee that comes out into the sugar and stir, stir, stir to make the espuma.

I have seen some people pour sugar directly onto the top of the coffee in the portafilter - I have never tried it that way.

Here is my coffee rig. :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
Steve,

Are you sure that isn't a Mars Curiosity photo from the NASA website? :-D

Peter

Offline slybarman

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »
Steve,

Are you sure that isn't a Mars Curiosity photo from the NASA website? :-D

Peter

LOL. Like most things, it looks more complicated at first glance than it really is.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »
So that's where your name come's from....?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
Most Cubans use the moka pot and pour the first bit of coffee that comes out into the sugar and stir, stir, stir to make the espuma.

I put the sugar into the bottom of the cup and stir as the espresso fills it.

Beautiful machine you have. This is my little guy.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
Looks good Craig. I used Saeco super-autos for quite a few years, but I decided to trade some convenience for more control of the extractions. It was a worthwhile trade-off for me - may not be for everyone. What coffee(s) do you use most?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »
Looks good Craig. I used Saeco super-autos for quite a few years, but I decided to trade some convenience for more control of the extractions. It was a worthwhile trade-off for me - may not be for everyone. What coffee(s) do you use most?

Starbuck's Italian or French roast.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »

Here is my coffee rig. :)

Beautiful. What is the make and model?

John

Offline slybarman

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »
Starbuck's Italian or French roast.

Oh my, the "S" word! Saying that on the coffee forums is like saying "Dominos Pizza" on this site.  ;D LOL

All ribbing aside, drink what works well with your machine and tastes good to you. I have tried plenty of coffees that "experts" have recommended and did not care for them at all. Like all things food/drink, tastes are highly subjective.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:14:00 PM by slybarman »

Offline slybarman

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 02:13:33 PM »
Beautiful. What is the make and model?

John

It is the "Cuadra" from La Nuova Era. Made in Italy. It is a heat exchanger machine with the E61 group head. As machines of this type go, this is lower end (at least price wise), but I have been happy with the performance.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »
Oh my, the "S" word! Saying that on the coffee forums is like saying "Dominos Pizza" on this site.  ;D LOL

:-[

I have never been to a coffee forum, so I guess I'm safe for now. Of course, there was a time, not all that long ago, that Domino's was my favorite pizza. Perhaps you can help me evolve my taste in coffee.

Interestingly, my taste for coffee came from cigars. We have a incredible cigar maker here in my town. He is Cuban as are all the folks he has working for him. Whenever I go smoke with him at his shop, he makes me the best Cuban espresso (in my limited experience). I learned from him. His favorite beans are a dark roast from Sam's (as in Walmart).
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
We can still talk about coffee, but I've moved on to Cruzan Single Barrel and Coke Zero w/ lime.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »
:-[

I have never been to a coffee forum, so I guess I'm safe for now. Of course, there was a time, not all that long ago, that Domino's was my favorite pizza. Perhaps you can help me evolve my taste in coffee.

Interestingly, my taste for coffee came from cigars. We have a incredible cigar maker here in my town. He is Cuban as are all the folks he has working for him. Whenever I go smoke with him at his shop, he makes me the best Cuban espresso (in my limited experience). I learned from him. His favorite beans are a dark roast from Sam's (as in Walmart).

Craig:

There is no shame in your game. You are clearly a connoisseur of a great many things food and drink. The problem is, of course, none of us has the time, energy, or money to go down every rabbit hole we encounter. I would be ashamed to put photos of 99% of the food I cook next to almost anything I have seen you make, including of course, pizza.

I would be happy to recommend the website of a few roasters you can peruse and try out if you are so inclined.

Also, if you are ever inclined to go down that particular rabbit hole, there is lots of good reading on www.coffeegeek.com or www.home-barista.com

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »
Craig:

There is no shame in your game. You are clearly a connoisseur of a great many things food and drink. The problem is, of course, none of us has the time, energy, or money to go down every rabbit hole we encounter. I would be ashamed to put photos of 99% of the food I cook next to almost anything I have seen you make, including of course, pizza.

I would be happy to recommend the website of a few roasters you can peruse and try out if you are so inclined.

Also, if you are ever inclined to go down that particular rabbit hole, there is lots of good reading on www.coffeegeek.com or www.home-barista.com

My wife would have harsh words for you if she knew you were helping me with another passion/hobby.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »
My wife would have harsh words for you if she knew you were helping me with a new hobby.  :-D

She has to get in line behind my own wife if she wants to chew me out.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
We can still talk about coffee, but I've moved on to Cruzan Single Barrel and Coke Zero w/ lime.

My hand holds the champagne of beers. In a can. Goes well with the pork butt and ribs we will be eating in a few hours.

John

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »
My hand holds the champagne of beers. In a can.

John

I didn't know you could get Lone Star in MA???
Pizza is not bread.