Author Topic: What are you drinking right now?  (Read 95888 times)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #2420 on: September 26, 2013, 10:12:13 PM »
Trying lots of really good rums tonight. Here's one of my faves. Samaraoli distilled in 1995 bottled in Scotland-go figure.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2421 on: September 27, 2013, 01:09:42 PM »
Trying lots of really good rums tonight. Here's one of my faves. Samaraoli distilled in 1995 bottled in Scotland-go figure.

I was just obsessing over that stuff while perusing the selections at www.drinkupny.com where I order most of my liquor. Please tell me how it is! That fella who produces those rums sure does take it seriously! He sources different rums from around the world and then brings them back to Scotland for aging! Yours is the exact one I was thinking of buying!

Looking forward to your review!

John K
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:11:16 PM by Serpentelli »

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #2422 on: September 27, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »
Just went to Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford, CT for lunch with an old friend and had a pour of Southern Tier Brewing Company Pumking beer, by far one of the best pumpkin brews I've had. Pizza wasn't bad either :)

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2423 on: September 27, 2013, 10:50:03 PM »
I was just obsessing over that stuff while perusing the selections at www.drinkupny.com where I order most of my liquor. Please tell me how it is! That fella who produces those rums sure does take it seriously! He sources different rums from around the world and then brings them back to Scotland for aging! Yours is the exact one I was thinking of buying!

Looking forward to your review!

John K

I'm no rumophile but I really did enjoy this. It was super clean yet complex. Vanilla and honey with a little bit of funk and a hint of iodine. Sounds crazy but it really worked. The price for a whiskey that quality and that rare seems like a deal to me.

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #2424 on: September 27, 2013, 11:06:46 PM »
Enjoying a glass of sippin' rum - based on cane sugar rather than molasses - Bardenay is a small batch distillery in of all places, Boise Idaho.  This is a surprisingly good quality rum for $12/bottle.  We also use this for the alcohol in a Brazilian cocktail called Caipirinha (the Brazilian national cocktail) - the authentic cane sugar alcohol is called Cachaša, a cane sugar hard liquor, but we can't get that here.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2425 on: September 28, 2013, 12:37:27 AM »
I'm no rumophile but I really did enjoy this. It was super clean yet complex. Vanilla and honey with a little bit of funk and a hint of iodine. Sounds crazy but it really worked. The price for a whiskey that quality and that rare seems like a deal to me.

I will definitely keep it on my list. Funny that you called it a "whiskey"  ::) above! Many of the Rums I have been drinking recently remind me much more of my favorite whiskies than anything else!

Waiting until tomorrow (when my brother arrives) to crack this baby! It's $110 in the states (if you can find it) but it was $60 down in Turks + Caicos 2 weeks ago.

I've already tried it before and I think it tastes like the best wheated (no rye) bourbon I've ever had.

For now, it's me and Johnny Drum. $22 and I could drink it every day for the rest of my life. Kinda like a liquid salted caramel.

John K
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:41:39 AM by Serpentelli »

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #2426 on: September 28, 2013, 01:33:20 AM »
Newcastle Werewolf "red ale".

I use the term "red ale" lightly.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2427 on: September 28, 2013, 03:39:29 AM »
A big black mug of "Vicarious" thru you all, from work where I be stuck, til Tues at 0723.....not that I'm counting or anything :(

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2428 on: September 28, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »
I will definitely keep it on my list. Funny that you called it a "whiskey"  ::) above! Many of the Rums I have been drinking recently remind me much more of my favorite whiskies than anything else!

For now, it's me and Johnny Drum. $22 and I could drink it every day for the rest of my life. Kinda like a liquid salted caramel.

Whiskey was out of habit, but you are absolutely right.

Thanks for the heads up on the Johnny Drum. I've never had it, but will look out for it.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2429 on: September 28, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
Waiting until tomorrow (when my brother arrives) to crack this baby! It's $110 in the states (if you can find it) but it was $60 down in Turks + Caicos 2 weeks ago.

I've already tried it before and I think it tastes like the best wheated (no rye) bourbon I've ever had.

So you like the Bacardi Reserva? I have not tried it, but if you think it's worth it, I'm getting some for sure. I was down in San Juan a couple weeks ago, and it was something like $89 at the distillery (don't waste your time if you go to Puerto Rico - the tour/tasting is a total joke).  They had it stacked floor to ceiling. I looked it up at our local chain, and it is $93, so I didn't get one and have to haul it around with me. I guess a couple years ago, it was only available at the distillery. From talking to them, I got the feeling that it won't be long until you see it everywhere.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2430 on: September 28, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »
So you like the Bacardi Reserva? I have not tried it, but if you think it's worth it, I'm getting some for sure. I was down in San Juan a couple weeks ago, and it was something like $89 at the distillery (don't waste your time if you go to Puerto Rico - the tour/tasting is a total joke).  They had it stacked floor to ceiling. I looked it up at our local chain, and it is $93, so I didn't get one and have to haul it around with me. I guess a couple years ago, it was only available at the distillery. From talking to them, I got the feeling that it won't be long until you see it everywhere.

Craig,

I have tried it in an inebriated state and I recall that it was "unbelievable". I am 60 minutes from cracking this bottle open so I'll give you my sober evaluation later. However I am 98% certain that it reminded me of a very smooth wheated bourbon. As of 1 month ago my buddy's pal (a Bacardi rep) was still having a hard time getting a 6 pack for me.

Juan K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2431 on: September 28, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
I have not gone to look to see if they actually have it in stock, but they are usually pretty good about having it if it is on-line. I hope I don't regret not buying one at the distillery.

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2432 on: September 28, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »
1945 Bas Armagnac.  With a Monticristo Edmundo Cubano.

Offline redox

« Reply #2433 on: September 28, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
Strong mint tea after a lamb shank dinner.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2434 on: September 28, 2013, 05:35:10 PM »
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye at Buffalo Wild Wings
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/76816

Perfectly balanced IPA, best I've had in a while.

Josh

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2435 on: September 28, 2013, 06:55:02 PM »
My namesake, Elijah Craig

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2436 on: September 28, 2013, 08:23:37 PM »
1945 Bas Armagnac.  With a Monticristo Edmundo Cubano.

That sounds very enticing!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2437 on: September 28, 2013, 08:27:43 PM »
I love Bas Armagnac too.

For now, Lewis Syrah 2004.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2438 on: September 28, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »
A caipirinha.  Made with Cachaša 51, sugar, lime and hand-cut ice.  A perfect way to wrap up a sunny Saturday in SoCal. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2439 on: September 28, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
A caipirinha.  Made with Cachaša 51, sugar, lime and hand-cut ice.  A perfect way to wrap up a sunny Saturday in SoCal.

Haven't seen that one before. Added it to the list. I love the way this thread pushes the adult beverage frontier in new directions.