Author Topic: Had my first taste of Mack's in Wildwood today.....  (Read 453 times)

Online Chaze215

Had my first taste of Mack's in Wildwood today.....
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:18:37 PM »
And I have to say that I really wasnt impressed. The place was nearly full and they were spitting out pies left and right. I had a plain slice and my gf had a white slice. As thin as the pie was, it was not as crispy as I thought it might be. I did enjoy watching the assembly line of 4 guys that took the dough from the containers to launching them into the ovens. I have seen a lot of talk about Mack's on the NJ Boardwalk thread (I have not read all 69 pages dating back to 2009...lol). So, what do you guys think of Mack's? Just curious.

Chaz
Chaz

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Had my first taste of Mack's in Wildwood today.....
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »
Any pictures?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »
Any pictures?

No pics  :( I wish I did though.
Chaz

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
No pics  :( I wish I did though.
Did it look like the Mack's pics on the Boardwalk thread? What didn't you like about it? Was the cheese tasty, sauce?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »
Did it look like the Mack's pics on the Boardwalk thread? What didn't you like about it? Was the cheese tasty, sauce?

Yes...it looked just like the pics on the Boardwalk thread. The cheese was tasty, but I have to say I wasnt crazy about the sauce. Although it was the 1st time I saw sauce being shot out of a gun onto pies...lol
Chaz

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 12:53:23 AM »
So, what do you guys think of Mack's? Just curious.

Mack's is okay, Chaz, but southcentral PA's Papa Dino's was always way better.   ;) 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:14:45 AM »
And I have to say that I really wasnt impressed. The place was nearly full and they were spitting out pies left and right. I had a plain slice and my gf had a white slice. As thin as the pie was, it was not as crispy as I thought it might be. I did enjoy watching the assembly line of 4 guys that took the dough from the containers to launching them into the ovens. I have seen a lot of talk about Mack's on the NJ Boardwalk thread (I have not read all 69 pages dating back to 2009...lol). So, what do you guys think of Mack's? Just curious.

Chaz

Chaz,

I appreciate you honest opinion of Mackís slices you and your girlfriend had.  I am one of the people that is trying to work on cloning the Mackís pizza on the boardwalk thread.  Even Adam Kuban wasnít wild about Mackís pizza until recently (this year) and he has eaten Mackís different years.  Adam is the founder of Slice.  It took Adam a few years to like Mackís pizza and give it a thumbs up.  Adamís wife still isnít fond of Mackís pizza either.   :-D

Did you have a reheated slice from the front?  Sometimes there arenít as good as the fresh pies that come right out of the oven. Sometimes when my daughter brings me home some slices of Mackís for a reheat they also arenít as good as fresh.  The last time she brought me home two slices of Mackís pizza the bottom wasnít baked enough in my opinion. 

You sure arenít alone though in not really liking Mackís pizza.  There are many people that like Samís Pizza, or other pizzas on the boardwalk (or others not on the boardwalk) in Wildwood, much better.  If you look at reviews for Mackís pizza some people rave about it and some donít like how greasy it was, or other also have other complaints.  I have read reviews to that there are different times when Mackís pizzas really arenít all that consistent.  This year Mackís came in 5th of all the pizzas in Wildwood by the Wildwood Pizza Tour.  The Wildwood Pizza Tour sampled many pizzas in one night.  Last year Mackís pizza came in first.  I saw on the comments on the Wildwood Pizza Tour on facebook that many of the slices the pizza reviewers ate on the Wildwood Pizza Tour were reheated slices.   

I am curious if you remember who waited on you.  Was it a man or a woman?   Also did you eat inside of Mackís pizza, or just order the slices on the boardwalk?  Also I am curious if you tried any of the other boardwalk pizzas in Wildwood.  I have one other question if you care to answer.  Could you tell what kind of cheese was on Mackís pizza?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Chaze215

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »
Norma: I have been following your thread about cloning Macks pizza and find it interesting. I havent been to the Wildwood boardwalk in YEARS and honestly didnt realize they were on the boardwalk down there until we passed it and the name rang a bell. But anyway, let me answer a few of your questions:
- Yes, we both had reheated slices from the front. Thats a good point you make about fresh vs reheated.
- We were waited on by a young girl who seemed to be taking care of the slices and to go pizzas.
- We ordered slices on the boardwalk and ate them as we walked...lol
- No, Mack's was the only pizza we tried on the boardwalk. I wish I knew about the review of all the places down there though. I would have certainly went to more than just Mack's.
- I cant tell for certain what cheese(s) Mack's uses, but I would say that it isnt just mozzarella. As I have read in your cloning thread, there is a good possibility that some white cheddar could be mixed in there. I did like the taste of the cheese, but wasnt crazy about the sauce. However, the cheese was VERY greasy...kinda like when you have a pepperoni slice.

I hope I answered all your questions. Not sure if I made your cloning process easier or just mad it a bit muddy.

Chaz
Chaz

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »
Norma: I have been following your thread about cloning Macks pizza and find it interesting. I havent been to the Wildwood boardwalk in YEARS and honestly didnt realize they were on the boardwalk down there until we passed it and the name rang a bell. But anyway, let me answer a few of your questions:
- Yes, we both had reheated slices from the front. Thats a good point you make about fresh vs reheated.
- We were waited on by a young girl who seemed to be taking care of the slices and to go pizzas.
- We ordered slices on the boardwalk and ate them as we walked...lol
- No, Mack's was the only pizza we tried on the boardwalk. I wish I knew about the review of all the places down there though. I would have certainly went to more than just Mack's.
- I cant tell for certain what cheese(s) Mack's uses, but I would say that it isnt just mozzarella. As I have read in your cloning thread, there is a good possibility that some white cheddar could be mixed in there. I did like the taste of the cheese, but wasnt crazy about the sauce. However, the cheese was VERY greasy...kinda like when you have a pepperoni slice.

I hope I answered all your questions. Not sure if I made your cloning process easier or just mad it a bit muddy.

Chaz

Chaz,

Yes, you did answer my questions.  Thanks!  :) As far as I know it is all cheddar that Mackís uses on their pizza.  There is a thread about what cheese Mackís uses and just last week I think my friend from Trenton, NJ found the right cheddar.  I know Mackís pizzas are really greasy.  It is from the kind of cheddar they use, at least in my opinion.  When a whole pie is just taken out of the oven, the bottom crust is usually crispy.  Sometimes they will be cutting a fresh pie and if you get one of those slices the bottom should be crispy.  The sauce Mackís uses is Gangi sauce, which is like a paste.  Right out of the can it is very bitter (at least to my taste buds).

I have two other questions to ask if you donít mind answering.  Did you taste the oregano in the slice cheese slice you had, or see pepper in the sauce?  I also would like to know if they reheated the slices, or were they taken from pies that just came out of the oven. 

I never tried a white pizza like your girlfriend had, so I donít have any questions about that. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan