Author Topic: What's Your Job In The REAL World....besides being a food geek  (Read 5168 times)

Offline flyboy4ual

Re: What's Your Job In The REAL World....besides being a food geek
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »
I am a pilot for a major airline. So far 17 years with them and did 6 years flying commuter planes.  Up and down like a YoYo!

Scott D.

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 01:28:11 PM »
I'm currently working as a software engineer for insurance companies (working through a contracting company).  Insurance is boring, and I'd love to get into something more engineering-oriented.  I can't complain though - it's paid the bills for the last 7 years or so, and with the wife getting ready to go back to school, I probably can't afford they pay-cut I'd probably need to take to jump industries (although if a good lateral-move opportunity came along, I'd jump).

4 or 5 years ago (I'd have to check my logbook to be more specific) I got my commercial helicopter certificate as part of an intended career change that got hosed by the economy...  >:(

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 01:46:51 PM »
Was just watching a guy doing crop dusting from a helo yesterday. Very cool.

Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Was just watching a guy doing crop dusting from a helo yesterday. Very cool.

Jon

My understanding is that they use GPS application systems.  You fly over the field, and the system uses your position, speed, altitude, wind direction and speed, and sprays as needed.  Then, tells you where to go in case you missed a spot.  I've been told it's far more precise than the old biplane approach.  Of course, helicopters - even the little two-seaters - are much more expensive to operate than a small plane, so I don't know if it's really cost-effective for farmers (it might be - I don't really know).

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »
Helicopters and biplanes are awesome machines. I once worked in a hanger for a crop dusting outfit in Winnie TX. "Rice Capitol of the World" and Winnie is the host of the Texas Rice Festival.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »
That guy had some skills, that's for sure!!

Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »
Helicopters and biplanes are awesome machines. I once worked in a hanger for a crop dusting outfit in Winnie TX. "Rice Capitol of the World" and Winnie is the host of the Texas Rice Festival.

I had a goose lease in Winnie in College. I have some Winnie stories...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 08:25:35 PM »
... I got my commercial helicopter certificate ...

I have wanted to do that since I was 6.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 10:52:46 PM »
Every once and awhile I'm a landscaper and nurseryman.  With new construction home building currently in the toilet, right now I'm a househusband.  LOL   ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »
I sell Rocks! Big ones small ones and LOTS of them ! Its a huge business everything we do, build, drive on or accross  has some type of aggregate in it. Started pushin a wheel barrel when I was 15 years old and have held every job from shovel guy to  foreman to PM, to Super to Estimator and now outside sales. No lucky sperm club here, I have busted my ass from day 1!. I  am currently working for  an Oldcastle company (Crh) here in NJ for 23 years  which is country wide, and Buys out whatever gets in the way ! I have made the cut thru 5 aquisitions!  Corporate office is a castle in Ireland which I will probably never see ? College edumacated but never found what I was dreaming  of and allways opted $$ over a fancy title.  I now work from home which allows me to do The Mobile pizza thing sometimes day time hours.  Shop and chop ,and do paper work til all hours of the night. A quick trip to PM.com is allways a click away !  ;D
PAPERS!!!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 11:53:21 PM »
I sell Rocks! Big ones small ones and LOTS of them ! Its a huge business everything we do, build, drive on or accross  has some type of aggregate in it. Started pushin a wheel barrel when I was 15 years old and have held every job from shovel guy to  foreman to PM, to Super to Estimator and now outside sales. No lucky sperm club here, I have busted my ass from day 1!. I  am currently working for  an Oldcastle company (Crh) here in NJ for 23 years  which is country wide, and Buys out whatever gets in the way ! I have made the cut thru 5 aquisitions!  Corporate office is a castle in Ireland which I will probably never see ? College edumacated but never found what I was dreaming  of and allways opted $$ over a fancy title.  I now work from home which allows me to do The Mobile pizza thing sometimes day time hours.  Shop and chop ,and do paper work til all hours of the night. A quick trip to PM.com is allways a click away !  ;D
PAPERS!!!

Oldcastle's Pennsy Supply dolomite quarry outside of Annville, PA...

http://binged.it/OoooUW   ;D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2012, 08:06:37 AM »
Commercial masonry sales.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 09:02:52 AM »
Instrumentation and controls engineer at an engineering and construction company in the petrochemical and oil /gas industry
Bert,

Offline atom

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 09:10:12 AM »
Military Police.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
In college I studied theater. Mostly acting, but also directing and writing. Loved it and worked in that field for several years after college. Eventually I got tired of being broke and dealing with nut cases. Not that there are any more than in any other industry, but for the amount of cash it wasn't worth it. I've been working in the software industry for the last 20 years. Mostly testing. I enjoy it well enough, but really it just pays the bills and funds my real interests. Cooking and gardening. I have a 900 sq ft greenhouse covered in triple wall poly carbonate, built it myself. I dabble in growing anything I can from seed. We live on five acres half of which is aerable and is/was being turned into garden spaces. I've developed a back problem and that has slowed me down a bit. Guess I should have gotten interested in a "bend over intensive" hobby when I was younger :) . Cooking started out as a necessity. I was the first one home and we needed to eat something. Started out as one pot wonders. Chunk of meat, sauce from a jar and some veggies. Boom. Dinner. Now I have several smokers a grill, a couple of propane burners and I like to make most stuff from scratch. It is deffinitely one of my forms of entertainment. Doesn't hurt that I get some very tasty meals out of the deal.

jb

Offline GlennC.

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »
Executive compensation and benefit consulting.  10+ years at a major consulting firm, now working for myself.
Texas A&M NCAA National Champions
Men's Track & Field  2011, 2010, 2009 [3-peat]
Women's Track & Field 2011, 2010, 2009 [3-peat]
Women's Basketball 2011

Offline patnugent

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »
Photography.
9-5 at a studio in NYC both shooting photos and managing the back end of the studio(post processing, retouching, sending out to clients) as well as doing a little bit of everything else.  We are shooting corporate clients(big law/banks... the people who run the world.)  I can't complain, it's laid back, gives me the weekends to do whatever I'd like and keeps a roof over the families head.  www.nycphoto.com

I also shoot BMX Racing for www.espn.com/action  Not the tricks or Xgames.  The racing stuff that is in the Olympics.  With that I typically travel one weekend a month(last flight out of NY on Fridays, Redeyes home Sunday nights to get back on the grind on Monday.)  This gig sends me back and forth across the country a handful of times a year as well as up and down the east coast, occasionally over seas...  I didn't get to go to the Olympics(the birth of my daughter conflicted with it) but got to spend a week in London last summer when they were testing the course out.  I also write a bit with this stuff, but my editor cleans it up real well.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:47:58 AM by patnugent »

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 12:27:46 AM »

When I was 12 I asked my father to get me a job at my uncles pizza place I washed dishes until I was 14, Then started making orders, screwing them up half the time. Then I was offered a job at another pizza place which was extremely busy and that whipped me right into shape and Ive been working there ever since.
  I want to open my own pizzeria in the near future. I don't fear my place will not do well actually my biggest fear is that Im going to be so busy Ill go insane.
  It seems like everyone whose posted so far has really nice upper management jobs, so that explains all these granite counter tops i see in the background of everyones pizza photos.
Jamie

Offline wotavidone

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »
I'm lower management. That is, I'm on salary rather than wages, but right on the bottom rung of the ladder.
Therefore, a $500 pizza oven was OK, a $5000 oven was not, so my pizza oven is made from salvaged and seconds bricks, with homebrewed mortar, the enclosure is clad in corrugated roofing iron, and no granite benchtop in sight.
The prep area is an old bench that came from my wifes work, with a cheap piece of plywood laid over the top to give me a smooth work surface.
But the wood burns well in my oven, so well that I only have to clear ash every second cook, the pizzas cook in 2 minutes, and the guests love them.
To be honest, I know guys on wages who are doing better than me - not earning more money, but much smarter in the ways they deal with money.
Mostly, its the guys who say, "That looks like a good idea, I'll give it a go" and don't stop to agonise about what might go wrong.
Start your pizzeria. Do it now. The sooner you do it, the more time you will have left in your life to recover if it doesn't work out. Train some young kid the way your uncle trained you, get the kid working his ass off, pay him well, reap the rewards of your hard work, and buy yourself a nice granite bench-top with the proceeds. ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:24:11 PM by wotavidone »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
  It seems like everyone whose posted so far has really nice upper management jobs, so that explains all these granite counter tops i see in the background of everyones pizza photos.

Not here. That's Mom's granite counter.

pizzapan