Author Topic: Pie Five  (Read 2598 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Pie Five
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:12:49 PM »
Looks like these are in Texas. Another Subway-type pizza concept. I've never heard of them before. Not really my thing pizzawise, but very well branded from the look of it.

http://www.lookytasty.com/2011/11/06/pie-five-pizza-your-pizza-pie-in-less-than-five-minutes/

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/restaurants/headlines/20120201-pie-fives-motto-is-fresh-pizza-fast.ece?ssimg=457152#ssTop457153

http://www.piefivepizza.com/
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Kostakis1985

Re: Pie Five
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:36:19 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if all the effort I put into making a great pizza and opening a pizzeria in the future is even worth it. I mean when I see a place like this that looks like its doing pretty well. I wonder do people really care about the pizza they get or do they really just want it to be ready in five minutes for around $5. >:(
Jamie

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:44:13 PM »
That place stole their t-shirts from one company and their motto from another. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »
That place stole their t-shirts from one company and their motto from another. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Who and who?

I didn't see a t-shirt. Where did you see it?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 02:40:54 AM »
Who and who?

I didn't see a t-shirt. Where did you see it?

Here's a link to the lawsuit for the word "piecurious"
http://eatsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/03/the-battle-over-piecurious-loc.html/

and papa murphys has been using and advertising "join the take and bake revolution" for a long time, pie five using "join the pizza revolution" is just stealing their tag line.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »
Very cool concept... seems profitable to have so many locations already...
Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:02:06 AM »
Hummm... I'm not sure I see it quite so black and white.

Papa Murphy's didn't coin the phrase "Join the [such and such] revolution," so you could just as easily say that they stole it. I did a google search for join the * revolution and got 603 million returns. It's pages and pages of phrases of Join the this revolution an join the that revolution used in the same way as both Papa Murphy's and Pie Five. https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS419US419&q=join+the+*+revolution

I didn't know Pie Five was owned by Pizza Inn. That's interesting.

The article says "Pizza Innís been using the phrase 'Pie-Curious' to sell its new pizzas. The suit alleges thatís hurting Nelsonís business, so much so sheís close to losing the high-end eateries selling her pies, which range from chicken-pot to pecan, but most definitely do not include pizza."

I'm finding that a little difficult to swallow. Perhaps the market for $20 pies isn't so great these days due to the economy? That claim seems like a reach to me. Who knows? I'm wondering if it would be an issue if there werenít deep pockets behind Pie Five? Maybe they did take it from piecurious, it sounds like they made some effort to remove it from their stores.

I noticed that there is also a well-established baking blogger in Canada going by the same name, an ebay user in the UK since 2005, and someone else apparently thought of the name way before and parked the piecurious.com domain in 2004 and it still sits unused today.

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
Thanks to this thread, I just came up with a lame name for a pizzeria that a lot of people would probably find clever: Pie Society.

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
Also, apparently they're off by three times zones, because that logo clearly looks like 2 o'clock to me.

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:57:06 AM »
Hummm... I'm not sure I see it quite so black and white.

Papa Murphy's didn't coin the phrase "Join the [such and such] revolution," so you could just as easily say that they stole it.

Well, I can tell you right now that if I ever open a pizzeria, I'm not going to use the tag line "Even Better Ingredients. Even Better Pizza," even though my pizza and ingredients would be a ton better than Papa John's.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »
Well, I can tell you right now that if I ever open a pizzeria, I'm not going to use the tag line "Even Better Ingredients. Even Better Pizza," even though my pizza and ingredients would be a ton better than Papa John's.

That's probably a good idea though its hardly an apples-apples comparison.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »
Big companies like Pizza Inn are usually quite savvy about trademarks and do not have to stoop to pilfering trademarks of others. It does sometimes happen, however, that a company will innocently end up using someone else's mark but unless there is a lot of money tied up in a program using the mark (enough to justify the cost of litigation) such matters usually end up being resolved out of court. There may also be a way of reworking the trademark to get around the other party's mark. Subsidiary marks rarely end up being a problem. In Pie Five's case. its most valuable mark is perhaps Pie Five. That mark is not being contested.

BTW, one of our members, aawshads, works for Pie Five and helped develop the Pie Five concept, as mentioned in the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14132.msg141668.html#msg141668. aawshads has also entered several other posts on the forum (e.g., Reply 16 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19255.msg193463.html#msg193463).

Peter

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »
five guys pie fives?

Online Chaze215

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
I like the concept they have going...800 degrees in California too. I think this would do well here in the northeast. Who wants to do this with me? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Chaz

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 09:12:16 AM »
I think this would do well anyhwere... It will be interesting to find out how they can get a pizza done in five minutes.
Bert,

buceriasdon

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »
It's the oven.        http://www.dfw.com/2011/07/14/481367/pie-five-pizza-co-delivers-on.html
http://www.turbochef.com/commercial/site.php?PAGE_TYPE=COMPANY&nav_id=111231

I think this would do well anyhwere... It will be interesting to find out how they can get a pizza done in five minutes.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:27:25 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »
Thanks Don,

They don't mention anything about the dough preperation.
Bert,

Offline aawshads

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
Thanks Don,

They don't mention anything about the dough preperation.

Sorry I have not checked in in awhile, been on the road and under a heavy load here.  

What are you wanting to know?  I can't specifically give recipes, but all of the doughs are made in house daily, and I am currently experimenting with others not on the menu yet.  Whether or not they ever see the light of day remains to be seen.  

I will also say that we did not intentionally encroach on anyone's trademarks, I was in the brainstorming sessions where we threw out the ideas.  In fact, we have people that check for those issues where we may have problems, but obviously that one got by them.  

The way we get it done in five minutes is part oven, part recipes that we have developed to work in a very short oven time.  The best part about the oven is the built in catalytic convertor, which allows much more flexibility for placement in store and locations where we can use it since it does not require an outside hood venting system. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:25:05 PM by aawshads »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »

but all of the doughs are made in house daily,

Thanks,
Bert,

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »
5 minutes seems a bit better than the ten advertised by 800 degrees. I do wonder how these pizzas taste though. Some of the sites mention proofing in the pan, that would definitely cut down on the time a bit.

The website actually says a 5 minute bake, not 5 minutes from walk through the door to pizza in hand.