Author Topic: Trouble with my NY style.  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Bigfoot21075

Trouble with my NY style.
« on: September 02, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »
Hi Tom and Everyone!

We have been struggling with our NY dough. Tonight we were closer but still no cigar. Here is the recipe;

100% KAAP
63% Water
3% Salt
1 Packet Flieshmans Ative Dry Yeast

I mixed the dry in the food processor (we have a very old Cusinart with the metal blade) Added the yeast to the warm filtered water and let it sit 15 min. With the processor running I poured in the water and yeast. I let it run for threee minutes until it was all together. I noticed the dough was getting warm so I dumped it on a Silpat and stretched and folded a few times. I let it sit 15 min, stretched and folded again, sit 15 another stretch and fold and then into a sprayed bowel and covered with plastic to sit for 2 hours at room temp

Then I put it in the fridge for 16 hours, took it out let it sit at room temp for three hours. Again on the silpat, folded it a few times cut into twol balls and let them rest 30 min. Then made the pies. We tried hand stretching first, it was near impossible to get an even let alone round pie. It sprang back pretty quick.

The second we attacked with a rolling pin, not better for the end result. Here are the pics, they both went 85 seconds in my WFO. The crust was fairly tough as well.

How do I fix my spring problem and my tough crust issue? Any suggestions is GREATLY appreciated!

Rob

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:31:27 PM by Bigfoot21075 »

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Trouble with my NY style.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
Roughly speaking, you should consider doing less bulk time (for that amount of yeast) and more ball rise time.  You did not specify your 100% amount, but I'm guessing that if you wound up with two balls, the yeast percentage was pretty high.

BTW, the typos were just too funny, esp "sprayed bowel", LOL.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »
BF, you have several problems here.  First off, baking a pizza in 85 seconds disqualifies it as a NY style pizza. You really want to aim for a 4-6minute bake time depending on how crispy you like your pizza.

2nd, if you are going to mix using a food processor, you want to use cold water.  You can proof your yeast in a bit of warm water, but you want the remaining water to be cold to offset the heat that is generated from the food processor.

You didn't mention a mix time, but depending on the flour and hydration, your mix times should not exceed 30secs or so IMO.  You will have to do some experimentation to dial in the time.  When I make dough usng a food processor, instead of counting the time in seconds, I will count the number of revolutions the dough makes, no more than 30.   Let the dough rest for 10-15min, do a few stretch and folds, and then round the dough out in a ball shape.  You can then bulk ferment the dough for as long as you want before dividing and balling. 

When the dough is tough to open and springs back, that is a tell tale sign that the gluten is over developed, most likely from over mixing, and or from too many stretch and folds. 

Also you only let the dough rest in the ball stage for 30 min, which is too short as pizzaneer pointed out.  I would ball them prior to going into the fridge, then let them come to room temps 2-3hours prior to usng.    Generally speaking, you want the balls to have risen almost double in the ball stage prior to baking. 

Good luck,
Chau

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
+1

Rolling pins are for cracker crust or apple pie, not in this situation.

The pies certainly do not look horrible in any respect.  How did they eat?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:16:29 PM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
Great first try!

WAY too much yeast.  You should have been able to make both pizzas with a 1/2 tsp of IDY, total.  

Fire is definitely too hot.

I cut my kneading time from 12 minutes down to 4 minutes resulting in a less chewy crust.  However, the dough seems a bit easier to rip now on the make table.  Following Chef Lehmann's advice exactly on balling and refrigerating will solve most of the issues you're facing.

I prefer the flavor of 48-72 hour refrigerated dough, 24-hour and less just doesn't do anything for my buds.

Be sure to keep your "bowels sprayed".

Have fun!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:03:13 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »
Thanks everyone and PLEASE remember to have your "bowels sprayed".

My 100% was only 10 oz, I think for gbetter control I may stop using my ancient Cuisinart and go to a KA stand mixer - it is afar less violent. I will add in your suggestions and give it another go. As for the oven temp, it really cooked up very nice, the bottom was perfect and the top was nice so I am hesitant to change that.

Maybe I am trying for more of a Neo-NY?

Alsop when I am ready to use it and I pull it out of the fridge to warm up, before making them into pies do I need to do a few folds to de-gas or just go with it?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:47:48 PM by Bigfoot21075 »

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
Alsop when I am ready to use it and I pull it out of the fridge to warm up, before making them into pies do I need to do a few folds to de-gas or just go with it?

nope. just go with it!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
+1

if you press out all the gas, you get left with a brick.  What comes out during shaping the skin is enough to give you a flat center and a nice rim, if you don't squeeze the rim too much.  The gentler, the better.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

pizzapan