Author Topic: Seeking critique of my Thin crust Dough Recipe and Proceedure - New to Forum  (Read 874 times)

Offline D Montagne

New to this forum.  I have been making or attempting to make thin-crust Neapolitan & Calif pizzas in my 38” Valoriani wood-burning oven for about 4 years.  Pretty happy with the results though it has taken me some time to fully appreciate how ‘less is more” when it comes to toppings!  I have been working in a vacuum as I have no pizza-making buddies to compare notes with; therefore I am happy to have stumbled across all of you folks!  I would like to have someone critique my dough recipe & procedures, which are as follow:

620 gm Giusto’s Ultimate Performer Unbleached flour (13-14.5% protein)
1 tsp table salt
2 tsp active dry yeast
10 gm olive oil
345 gm tepid water

•   I mix the dry ingredients, add the oil and the water, and hand mix with a plastic dough scraper until flour is incorporated. 
•   Turn the dough onto an un-floured granite countertop and hand knead by push/stretch with heel of hand, fold, quarter turn and repeat.  I do this at a steady pace (3-4 seconds/cycle) for 7 to 8 minutes.  [Over kneading??]. 
•   Form the dough into a ball and place into a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in 34 degF refer for 24 hours. 
•   The dough is then divided into four balls ~245 gm each.  These are usually bagged in a lightly oiled plastic bag & frozen for later use.
•   Prior to use the dough is thawed and held at room temp for about 3- 4 hours before being hand stretched to ~10” diam., topped, and baked on a 600-750 degF oven floor. 

I sometimes have trouble with elasticity, but otherwise am OK with the taste and texture of the dough.  I would appreciate any comments and critiques of what I am doing…Thanks

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me

These 2 threads are blowing my mind currently. Try playing around with the techniques listed in both. Bulk ferment, and what Gluten Boy does with his half autolyse, yeast and salt in different stages.  I am very happy with the results I am getting.

GB's recipe

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.0.html

fazzari's bulk ferment experiments

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16761.0.html

Very cool stuff!

Offline D Montagne

SinoChef,
Thanks for directing me to these threads.  I'll see how I can incorporate some of these ideas into my procedure and see what happens.  I do have trouble with tearing while stretching so maybe some of these ideas will help on that front.  I  am also considering increasing my hydration level to see if that helps with my occasional elasticity problem.

pizzapan